X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with PVC Fitting

I need to replace a PVC fitting that is glued with a short stub of pipe into the hub of a 90 degree elbow. The hub of my fitting and the hub of the 90 are almost touching each other. Is there some way for me to "destroy" the fitting that needs to be replaced and then remove the stub of pipe that is glued to the hub of the 90 so that I can put in a new stub?
    Thanks.
    Canuck

I don't think so. You'll have to cut out the 90 and the fitting and start over. Once the glue is applied it is a done deal, and if you could find a way to somehow "destroy" the fitting with a dremel tool or the like I would'nt trust the stubbed out end of the 90 any longer. If this was copper it'd be a piece of cake, but the glue applied to PVC actually bonds the material together solid. If I'm wrong and there is a way to get around it sorry but I would'nt even bother personally and I'd start over new with it.
    D.M.

Comment

David,
      Thanks for the reply. I'm in a real bind here in that the "repair" that I need to effect is on a motorhome and I can't "start new" as the part that I need to replace is plumbed in to the holding tank systems that are not visible.
      I was hoping that there might be a way to "break out" the stub from the the hub of the 90 so that I could start new at that point.
      Canuck.

Comment

Maybe there's a way but I'm sorry I'm not aware of it. If there is hopefully someone will respond here and offer it. I don't think applying heat like from a heat gun will work except to melt the plastic, and I just can't see using a dremel to cut out the pipe from the hub unless you are REALLY good with one and even then I have big doubts that the hub will be acceptable any longer for taking another run of pipe. You might try cutting the stub as close to the fitting as possible and using a dremel with the right bit to carefully cut away the stubbed material from the inside of the hub?? Shootin at the moon here. Sorry I can't be of any further help. What's wrong with the fitting anyway? Cracked? Leaking? Have you looked into possibly patching the fitting itself? There are materials on the market which may help as long as it's not a gusher.
        D.M.

Comment

David,
          This will be a little difficult to explain unless your are familiar with RVs. The fitting that needs to be replaced is the one that the flexible sewer hose connects to inorder to allow me to drain the holding tanks. This fitting has four little "posts" spaced at 90 degree intervals around the outside of it. The end of the sewer hose has "hooks" that lock over the posts. The problem that I have is that one of the posts has broken off and now the connector leaks at this junction. It looks to me as if there was a flaw in the original moulding of the part.
          Would you know if there is a clamp on type of connector that can be used to secure two hubed fittings together without the use of an internal stub. The type of fitting that I'm thinking of is something that I've seen in plumbing departments and it looks like it has a rubber "tube" inside of a sheath of metal that has gear clamps at each end. I apologize if I'm not using all the correct terms as I'm just a do-it-yourselfer.
          Canuck

Comment

Canuck,
            Are you trying to repair something like this?
            Click Here Then look at the "TWIS-LOC Hose Adapter" & the "Standard Sewer Hose Connection Parts"

Comment

JJC,
              Thanks for your interest and suggestions. Thanks to you I've now learned the name of what I'm trying to fix. It's called a bayonet terminator. One of the lugs has broken off. I'm not sure if the twist-loc will work as a replacement, but I have written to the company to see if they can confirm if it will work or to see if they can suggest an alternative for me.
              Again, thanks for your reply.
              I'll keep the site posted as I learn more.
              Cancuk

Comment

Problem solved thanks to JJC who put me on to Randy Dupree and to Randy Dupree for proposing an extremely elegant and simple solution.
                All I need to do is saw of the three remaining posts on the existing bayonet terminator and use what's left as a new stub to glue on a new bayonet terminator. So simple but yet elegant.
                Thanks to all that have assisted me in solving this problem.
                Best regards.
                Canuck

Comment

Glad your on the road again (sorry, couldn't resist). Anyhow I just got lucky, glad your fixed though

Comment

Working...
                  X