X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sump Pump relief hole

I just purchased a Ridgid 1/2 hp sump pump to replace my 2 year old broken Zoeller pump (switch sticks on). I've seen sites that say I should do the following:

"Drill a relief hole in the discharge pipe to ensure that the pump will not “air lock”, which would allow the pump to run but not pump water"

Should I really do this? My Zoeller pump looks like it has one, but why wouldn't the manufacturer put one there if it needed it?

The manufacturers do not install the discharge pipe which is where the relief holes must be drilled. 75% of all sump pumps will probably never experience an air lock but to eliminate the possibility all together you need to drill a 3/16 hole just above the connection to your pump and low enough that it does not cause a spray outdie of your pit.

It is very unusual for a Zoeller to fail so soon, it is the Cadillac of pumps. Were there any extenuating factors that caused your switch to stick?
    Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

PLUMBER IS 100% CORRECT ABOUT THE AIR VENT HOLE. I'VE SEEN MANY AN INSTALLATION LACKING THIS VENT. THEY WILL EASILY AIR LOCK WITH A GOOD HOLDING CHECK VALVE.
      AS FAR AS ZOLLER BEING THE "CADILLAC" OF PUMPS. I WOULD COMPARE THEM TO G.M. THEY ARE EVERYWHERE, BUT NOT THE ROLLS ROYCE.
      RICK

Comment

My Zoeller pump had a hole drilled right in the iron casing of the pump itself right before the discharge. Do you think that this was ok? I assume as long as the hole is before the check valve, but under the water level you are ok? However, Won't this affect the efficency of my pump?

Also, to answer plumbers question: The water level is really high at my house. Right after a good soaking rain my sump pump runs almost continuously for 24 hours. It probably would have lasted 5 or 6 years at a normal house.

Thanks guys-

Comment

First make sure you are using a pump which is rated for dewatering and continuous use. The relief hole is normally in the riser below the check valve but above the float switch activation point.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Re: Sump Pump relief hole

Cadillac is a GM product

Comment

Originally posted by mag plumbing View Post
              Cadillac is a GM product
              i hope you know that this was your first post on the forum. on a thread that hasn't seen activity in over 4 years.

you need at least 100 post before you can act funny

welcome to the forum

if you stick around long enough, i'll remind you of your first post for years to come

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by plumber rick View Post
                i hope you know that this was your first post on the forum. On a thread that hasn't seen activity in over 4 years.

You need at least 100 post before you can act funny:d

welcome to the forum

if you stick around long enough, i'll remind you of your first post for years to come

Rick.

lol

Comment

I have istalled quite a few zoeller 1/3 ho pumps for people and to be honest, I have replaced a lot of newish ones too. Some my own. All the failures have been stuck on. Float rides fine but the switch is bad. Wierd but very true. I install Hydromatic now (company decision) They seem fine. The one thing I don't like is the diaphram float "weakens" causing the level to rise over time. I had a return trip on a Water powered back up I installed and it was because the level changed causing the back up to come on first.
                  Zoeller issues like that common?

Comment

What is the rolls royce? My Zoellers have all had the same trouble. After 1yr or so they won't complete switch off after emptying the basin. They have multiple short cycles before finally clicking solidly off to allow for a full cycle again.

Comment

Originally posted by shadysideliv View Post
                      What is the rolls royce? My Zoellers have all had the same trouble. After 1yr or so they won't complete switch off after emptying the basin. They have multiple short cycles before finally clicking solidly off to allow for a full cycle again.
                      Pumps are all a mech. device no mater which brand you get there will be some bad apples in the bunch. I prefer the zoeller mighty mate 53
                      http://www.zoellerpumps.com/ProductB...x?ProductID=89
                      there not perfect but I have had the least amount of problems with them . Zoeller also sells to compett there plastic pumps aquqmate 72 witch most builer put in {cheaper} I dont care for them then for high water leavels zoeller has the m 98 which pumps alot more water .
                      http://www.zoellerpumps.com/ProductB...x?ProductID=92
                      I stoped useing hydromatic pumps when they changed the design of there switch one stupid little thing where the screw or bolt goes into the switch usto have a brase nut but they dont any more so the switch fails within 1 to 2 years so your allways replaceing switches .
                      SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Working...
                      X