X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Screw-What's it for?

I've been using pipe vises off and on for more than 20 years, and until yesterday, didn't even consider what the jack screw assembly on a 450/460 stand was for. The question was proposed to me as a challenge from my boss, a pipefitter of more than 40 years. Any help would be appreciated. I've already inquired of all my resources to no avail. Thanks-

Its used to lock the vise down so it won't tip during heavy wrenching operations. You cut a length of pipe (1" if I remember correctly) to fit the distance between the top of the jack screw (with the screw turned down), allowing for some form of padding such as a 2x4 which would be placed against the ceiling on top of the pipe. you then turn the jack screw up to apply downward pressure on the vise.

Comment

Bob D. is correct (yes, 1" is what you are supposed to use.)

I don't know anyone who ever used this system.

the dog
      the dog

Comment

They got it right, I lost the same bet 6 years ago and came up with a good excuse I wish not to repeate. I've never used it this way and probably never will, but back in the old day's when screw pipe was common practice on a large job where the equiptment was set up for a long time (why not?) set up to be safe.
        christopher

Comment

Probably used more in the past when on the job hand threading and cutting was more common.

Comment

Usually when a vice needs to be locked down its in a place where it will be for the duration of a job. When this is the case I usually just sink a few sleeve anchors into the floor through the leg holes. This also allows a place to chain other equipment at the end of a shift.

On one job in a large food proceesing facility where 80% of the pipe was threaded stainless steel and the work was throughout the plant then bracing the vice was the only way to secure it. The special epoxy on the floor was off limits to any drilling.
            Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Great thread! (no pun intended)

I have been using a 450 tristand for years and never knew (or really much cared til now) what that screw was for. Thanks for the info.

What I would find far more useful than that thing would be some sort of vise to come along with the 450/460 that would make it safer to thread with a Ridgid 700, instead of resorting to a pipe wrench and handle.

Comment

I think it's used to put a smile on Jack's face..

Comment

Good on ya mate.

Yeah, this is great.
                  I have just joined this forum because of the very same question and here's all the info!
                  Thanks for asking the question.
                  I saw a vice in a 2ndhand shop and asked the guy. he had no idea. Now I'll go and buy it at a (hopefully) discounted price.
                  It will be sent to a school building exercise we are starting in northern Philippines. Almost everything up there is still galv ! Not a fitting anywhere for Galv to Poly
                  Cheers to all

Comment

Working...
                  X