Chain Vise vs. Yoke Vise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain Vise vs. Yoke Vise

I've been looking at a few portable pipe vises, but can't decide between a chain or a yoke vise. I've used the yoke type before, but never the chain. What's the major advantages of one over the other? The majority of my work is done on 1/2" to 1-1/2" pipe. Any problems you've found working with either types? Any information will help.
    Marcus Rinaldi<BR>Service Tech<BR>F&W Heating & Cooling

Marcus,
    There are a few differences between a chain vise and a yoke vise. We offer chain vises that can accommodate 8" pipe where as the biggest yoke vise can only handle 6" You said that the majority of your work is in the 1/2 - 1-1/2" range so this probably is not a big factor. The chain vise jaws can be replaced with plastic coated jaws in order to prevent marring of plastic coated pipe or specialty materials. On a yoke vise, the yoke assembly can be reversed this will double the life of the base. However the chain vise has a replaceable wear plate that can also be changed. A feature of the yoke vise is that the feed screw is a finer thread than on a chain vise. This combined with the longer handle allows the operator to really bear down on the pipe. The chain vise can be handy when going from one size pipe to another, the chain falls right in to the size where as the yoke vise has to be screwed down or up quite a way to accept the new size i.e. going from 1/2" - 2" pipe.
    All of these points aside, the bottom line is that this choice is a matter of preference. Both are going to grip and hold the pipe for whatever job you need to do. They are just two different methods of accomplishing the same goal. I hope this is of some assistance to you.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I ended up buying an old Reed yoke vise as a starter, but eventually I think I'm going to get the 460 Tristand.
      Marcus Rinaldi<BR>Service Tech<BR>F&W Heating & Cooling

Comment

Working...
      X