Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr. McReynolds,

You wrote:

"Gee, I thought there were plumbers here who knew something about water lines and sediment. Guess i need to go ask on an electrical or woodworking forum."

Based on the information available in the first post you were given good replies. I too have decades of experience in the piping industry. Nothing was said about trailer parks, which have historically terrible utility systems and shoddy hook ups, therefore I feel there was no need for the shotgun approach to your reply to Plumbdog10. Yes you were flammed by another poster here but your reply was plural, indicating an all inlcusive retort.

You should be aware that there are 1/2 inch and 3/4 brass strainers available that would easily tie into your existing copper service that would capture enough debris coming into your line to show your landlord where the debris is coming from. Properly installed with a shut off valve and union this will capture a large percentage of scale and other detrius commonly found in water service lines and some water mains, it will also allow for easy cleaning and maintenance of said appurtenance. These strainers are available with either coarse or fine screens. They were invented nearly 100 years ago and are extremely common. With more information this could have been reccommended earlier.

Is your trailer park at the end of a long main? Are you at the end of the trailer parks service line? How good is the volume available? The pressure? What is the material of the main and do you have any galvinized pipe between the main and your copper service?

These are all questions that need answers if you want good FREE advice. I can't apolgize for someone else flamming you but your shotgun style of reply was just as offensive.
    Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Once you determine that the deposits are being caught by your screen it may be interesting to run a tamper over the area where the pipe runs and see what happens. I may loosen enough up that you wont have to clean the filter as much for a while

Comment

PLUMBER, I GUESS THAT NOT ONLY ARE WE SUPPOSE TO BE PLUMBERS, BUT MIND READERS AND PSYCHICS.
        MYSTERIES ARE MUCH EASIER WHEN AN IMPORTANT PART OF THE PUZZLE IS NOT MISSING.
        I GUESS WE CAN ONLY HELP THE PEOPLE THAT WANT HELP. REMEMBER WE CAN'T HELP EVERYONE.
        RICK

Comment

Rick,

Sometimes I think I am not going to bother anymore.

Comment

Seems I must apologise for not including enough information when I included what seemed pertinent to me. I have lived in this location---same tin hut for 18 years. The water mains were a big problem for several years, seems no one knew where line shut off valves were and the entire park would regularly be shut off to fix a leak. Sometimes twice a week.

I am in the middle east/west and on the south side of a 600 lot park. The mains seem to run east/west. There is a galvanized pipe that provides the feed to my copper supply line.

The pressure is supplied by a pump that boosts the local utility feed---it is usually in excess of 60 psi, requiring a pressure regulator, which I have set at approximately 30 psi.

The original plumbing was the grey plastic pipe, with very thin copper elbows where necessary and held with aluminum bands. The new plumbing---since I had continual problems with the original---circa 1978---is CPVC, 1/2" ID and 3/4" copper supply---installed five years ago.

The trash problem, as stated, started two years ago when the neighbor kids began playing basketball and set up a blowup pool in the yard over the main.

I have no problem with sediment in the winter nor when the kids do not use the yard. I also have no problem with the kids using their own yard or making the usual noises associated with basketball or splashing in the pool.

I am also well aware of forum protocol, being a long time member of a woodworking forum where we get insufficient information and unanswerable questions daily---as well as being a member of this forum.

The treatment I recieved on this portion of the forum makes me wonder if it is worth staying a member.

I did get an answer to my question. For that I am appreciative.
            Mac<P>Problems are opportunities in disguise

Comment

Mac,

With relatively new plumbing in your trailer you should not need a regulator to reduce 60PSI to anything. In fact 60PSI is usually considered close to ideal pressure for most new construction. I hope you put an expansion tank on your water heater as you created a closed system when you installed your regulator.

If there is copper connected directly to the gavlinized pipe then we have found a very likely source of your problem. A strainer will catch some of the electralisis build up when it breaks free but it will not eliminate the problem. And while you are certainly aware that your compass readings gave no useful information, finally giving information regarding the materials and type of pipe involved have brought us all closer to a resolution of your problems.

Yes you were flammed by one poster, you were also assisted by several others. 99% of the people on this site try to genuinly assist someone when they ask a question. And while plumdog10 can be a bit coarse, and has a propensity to flame occasionally, he has provided good information on this site also .

A bit more to consider, you are in the middle of a feed as it sounds. You have a galvanized main that is probably corroded and full of sediment. During peak times when everyone is home from work or getting ready for work there is probably a large volume of water trying to get through a pipe that is full of hard deposits. This volume trying to flow through a restricted pipe will cause bits and pieces to break free and get into your trailers water system. This and the electralisis are probably the causes of your problem.

Note: Unless the Galvanized main is actually rusted through and leaking, thereby creating a possibility of outside source contamination, your landlord does not have to lift a finger to correct the problem if he does not want to. His responsibility, in most real estate rental agreements and purveyor regulations, is to provide ample volume with positive pressure exceeding 2o psi of potable water to your service connection using piping methods approved by either ASSE or similar association approvals. Galvanized pipe was approved for this purpose at one time and so his system is probably not in violation of anything.

You need to eliminate the non-compatable metal connection that it sounds like you have in your service line.

Comment

I agree, if all you have is 60 psig I would take the regulator out. The code does not even require a regulator at 60 psig. Both the Uniform and International Plumbing Codes only require regulators above 80 psig.

As for a closed system unless you bought a real cheap regulator your regulator likely has an internal bypass build in for thermal expanion.

I noticed you talk about a booster pump in your supply system. Typically a booster pump will be installed with a storage tank. If so you may want to check your storage tank for debri.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

MAC, AS YOU JUST STATED, YOU DIDN'T GIVE ENOUGH PERTINENT INFORMATION. NOW YOU ARE GIVING MORE INFO AND THE SAME CORE GROUP OF PEOPLE ARE STILL HELPING YOU WITH YOUR "CRUD" PROBLEM. THEN YOU END BY SAYING THAT YOU'RE NOT SURE IF YOU WANT TO STAY PART OF THIS FORUM. SOUNDS LIKE YOU KNOW YOU DIDN'T GIVE THE INFO WE NEEDED TO HELP YOU. THEN YOU CRITICISE THE PEOPLE TRYING TO HELP YOU, THEN YOU POST MORE INFO.
                  WELL WHAT IS IT? DO YOU WANT OUR HELP, OR NOT?
                  PS. BOTH PLUMBER AND UTAH GAVE VERY GOOD ANSWERS.
                  PESONALLY I WOULD KEEP THE PRESSURE REGULATOR ON YOUR SYSTEM SINCE IT'S ALREADY THERE. IT IS SET LOW ENOUGH TO PREVENT PRESSURE SPIKES IN YOUR SYSTEM. MOST SMALLER 1/2''-2'' REGULATORS HAVE SOME SORT OF STRAINER INCORPORATED INTO THE REGULATOR TO PROTECT THE WORKING PARTS OF THE REGULATOR. I WOULD CHECK YOUR REGULATOR FOR THIS STRAINER. IF IT IS THERE AND WORKING PROPERLY, THEN YOUR ISSUES ARE WITHIN YOUR UNIT. IF THERE IS NO STRAINER IN YOUR REGULATOR, THEN PUT IN A WYE STRAINER OR A FILTER. A CARBON WHOLE HOUSE FILTER IS REAL CHEAP. THIS WILL PUT AN END TO WHERE THE CRUD IS LOCATED.
                  YOU AND US HAVE NOW INVESTED TOO MUCH TIME AND INFO TO QUIT NOW. LET US KNOW WHAT HAPPENS. THEN IF YOU STILL FEEL LIKE YOU WANT TO QUIT, SO BE IT.
                  RICK.

Comment

interisting problem! you guys sure gave a lot of your time to help this guy out! that was nice.
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Ok, let me state the crud volume again---a cup of calcium carbonate particles(remember I said they are disolvable in white vinegar)---averaging from the the size of a broken #2 pencil point up to some 1/4" in diameter(flat and round with jagged edges)----per week on average.

I have had to replace a kitchen faucet since i could no longer backflush it to clean out the particles. The bathtub faucet is now close to the same.

I understand about the galvanized/copper thing---this is way beyond that.I had three inches of this stuff in the bottom of my water heater---before I removed the element and cleaned it as best I could. That was last year---probably needs cleaning again.

This park is private property---the utilities are owned by the park---the water bill is paid to the park---not the water company. In fact, the water company's maintenance stops at the pump utilized by the park. And the regulator is required/recommended by the park, depending on which person and which day you ask.

Within ten minutes of the kids starting to play ball I will begin to see particles in the cold water from any faucet---except for the ones that are again plugged.

Folks, I know this sounds bizarre---as I
                      mentioned, I used to work for the water company, and have discussed the problem with troublemen, lab techs, and crew foremen---all of whom have helped form or at least agree with my diagnosis.

I was trying to come up with a filter I could hook up that would not plug up so I would have no water whatsoever while trying to get the manager/handyman to come see the proof---sometimes takes a day or two.

I think what I will do is fabricate something---with ideas I got help with here.

I really do apologize for my sarcasm---this is one of those issues that has to be described in detail to every new listener---and I am a bit tired of cussing and discussing it.

Comment

Again, I stick with my original post.
                        the dog

Comment

MAC, THE DOG WON'T QUIT UNTIL HE TAKES A BITE. I THINK YOU MADE YOURSELF CLEAR TO ALL.
                          RICK

Comment

the old galvey isdumping iron parts. with the kids ball vibrations, obviously. you have a right to clean water!
                            a certified leter from an attorney to the owners is necessary! otherwise nothing will happen

THEY HAVE THE PROBLEM WHEN THE LETTER IS RECEIVED! good luck
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Plumber Rick---I am beginning to understand that.

Tool---may come to that, but I first have to prove the problem is from their pipes.

Thanks to all fopr the help, corrections and stictoitiveness. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Plumber Rick,

Are honestly telling me that this guy has a problem with his pipes because some kids are playing basketball next door?

I know we have had our differences. Well I was probably the cause. I am out-spoken, and usually seem like a jerk. The fact is, I don't think you buy the basketball story. I think you have too much experience for that.

In my opinion, I think toolaholic's post is what this guy was looking for in the first place. He jumped on the advice to seek an attorney. That was his whole reason for posting here. He wanted a plumber to agree with him to seek a lawsuit.

Problem is, what is toolaholic's qualifications.
                                the dog

Comment

Working...
                                X