Trash filter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trash filter?

I have a problem. The main water line for my place is full of the normal inside deposits. Problem is that when the neighbors kids play basketball in the yard next door, I get an influx of those deposits in my water lines. The ctuff plugs faucets and areators and I know the water heater is getting filled.

Is there any kind of easily cleanable filter I can install to filter out those pesky things?

My landlord no longer will discuss the matter---he says I am the only one with the problem---has to be in my lines----which are all new as of three years ago.

The deposits dissolve in vinegar, so they are mostly soduim carbonate?---we have really hard water here in KCK.
    Mac<P>Problems are opportunities in disguise

I can't imagine a basket ball bouncing 3 ft above your water service line would disturb it enough to break deposits loose. That part is probably a coincidence. What color are the deposits.

There are several whole house filters available on the market as well as water softners. If your water purveyor has very hard water you might want to consider a softner then put a charcoal filter on your kitchen sink, ice maker and lavatory, anywhere where you draw water for drinking and oral hygene. Many folks don't mind the taste of water from a softner but I personally don't like it all.
    Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Originally posted by K. L. McReynolds:
      I have a problem. The main water line for my place is full of the normal inside deposits. Problem is that when the neighbors kids play basketball in the yard next door, I get an influx of those deposits in my water lines. The ctuff plugs faucets and areators and I know the water heater is getting filled.

Is there any kind of easily cleanable filter I can install to filter out those pesky things?

My landlord no longer will discuss the matter---he says I am the only one with the problem---has to be in my lines----which are all new as of three years ago.

The deposits dissolve in vinegar, so they are mostly soduim carbonate?---we have really hard water here in KCK.
      K.L. McReynolds,

Let me take a wild guess, here K.L., ya don't have alot going on. Lots of time on your hands. I'm going to assume from your quote that you live in some sort of rented complex. If no one else is having the same problem, which if they were, I think you would have described it, it would be different. But, the fact you are blaming this on the neighborhood kids leads me to think you are the neighborhood crank.

As a long time plumbing and pipefitting foreman I can offer the following advice:

GET A LIFE

Get a hobby, join a club, get an education.
      the dog

Comment

K.L. AT FIRST I WAS TOTALLY CONFUSED ABOUT YOUR POST/ QUESTION. AFTER REREADING IT AND READING THE 2 OTHER POST I NOW KNOW I'M NOT GOING CRAZY.
        JUST COULDN'T RELATE BASKETBALL AND DIRTY WATER. NOW I GOT IT. PLUMBERS GOT A GOOD POINT.
        PLUMBDOG IS OUT TO TAKE A BITE OUT OF YOU.
        MY OPINION IS THAT IF YOU DO A TEST YOU WILL FIND THAT IT IS MORE IN THE HOT WATER THAN COLD. YOU CAN CLEAN A FAUCET AEREATOR AND RUN THE COLD ONLY TO SEE IF THE AEREATOR PLUGS. THEN REMOVE THE AEREATOR TO CHECK. REPEAT WITH THE HOT WATER. TYPICALLY THE HARD WATER WILL SHOW ITSELF MORE IN THE HOT THAN COLD.
        DO YOU HAVE A WATER HEATER FOR THE BUILDING, OR YOUR OWN FOR YOUR UNIT? IT'S POSSIBLE THAT THE HEATER IS FULL OF MUCK. FLUSHING THE HEATER WILL ONLY GET THE LOOSE STUFF OUT. NOT THE BAKED IN STUFF. THIS WILL EVENTUALLY POP LOOSE AS THE WATER HEATS AND WILL PLUG UP. BY RIGHTS, IT SHOULD EFFECT THE WHOLE BUILDING IF IT'S A COMMON HEATER. IF YOUR OWN HEATER THEN JUST YOU.
        AS FAR AS THE BASKETBALL GOES, THAT'S WHERE I'LL "PASS".
        HOPE YOU TAKE IT ALL IN STRIDE. SOME OF US ARE QUICK TO HELP, SOME QUICK TO BITE.
        RICK.

Comment

Mister plumbdog, sir, you are a pompous idiot!

I did not blame the problem on the kids---I simply said it is aggrivated when they play basketball in their yard---heavens to Betsy, as long as they are playing in their yard they are not stealing my hubcaps or smoking plumbers pipe dope.

I asked a simple question and got a lot of silly answers.

Let me see---I worked for a public utility for 22+ years and a little bit of knowledge about water mains did manage to seep into this 'idle mind.'

I have plenty to do---worked with 4-H horse project kids for 20 years----volunteered with HFH chapter 40 saturdays a year for 8 years. I presently run my remodeling business---so have lots to do.

I realize how strange the problem sounds---have lived with it ahile discussing it with the landlord---I live in a mobile home community---oops---Gadzooks---Now i have revealed that I am an inbred redneck and have no inside toilet.

The debris will easily fill a coffee cup in less than a week, saved from the kitchen/bath/tub faucets on the cold water side(Just for the eddification of some folks, it does not come out of the hot water faucets as it settles in the water heater---from which i remove the bottom heating element so I can clean the crap out and save the element) ---it is yellow/white---if anyone has ever seen the inside of a hard water main----you have seen the stuff of which i speak. Golly, i forgot to mention I took a sample to the utility lab for conformation-----

Gee, I thought there were plumbers here who knew something about water lines and sediment. Guess i need to go ask on an electrical or woodworking forum.

[ 07-14-2005, 01:30 AM: Message edited by: K. L. McReynolds ]

Comment

Trailer park is a key point. What if you put a metal mesh strainer (found on most washing machines) at the input where the hose connects to your trailer. If it collects deposits the owner will have to believe you. They are cheep to buy so maybe get a few and put them on some neighbouring trailers too, that way you can start to isolate between your branch line and the trunk line

Comment

That is a worthy idea---I will have to fabricate one---the service is a hard line and my line is 3/4" copper. I think I can cobble up something to use temporarily>>

Thank you for that idea!!!

Comment

K.L. AT FIRST I WAS CONFUSED. WHAT DOES KIDS PLAYING BASKETBALL HAVE TO DO WITH MINERAL DEPOSITS IN YOUR PLUMBING.
                WE'RE NOT MIND READERS HERE. IF ALL WE HAVE TO GO ON IS YOUR MINIMAL DESCRIPTION OF THE SYMPTOMS, AND HAVE NEVER BEEN TO OR SEEN YOUR HOME/ INSTALLATION. THEN I THINK WE ARE GOING TO GIVE YOU THE ANSWER THAT IS MOST COMMON.
                NOT KNOWING THAT YOU LIVE IN A TRAILER, OR YOU HAVE YOUR OWN ELECTIC WATER HEATER. WE HAVE TO ASK QUESTIONS. THE MORE INFO WE HAVE THE BETTER THE ANSWERS WILL BE.
                I HOPE YOU DON'T GO TO THE DR. AND PLAY 20 QUESTIONS WITH HIM TO DETERMINE WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU, AND WHY YOU'RE THERE. WE CAN ONLY ATTEMPT TO HELP WHEN WE KNOW AS MUCH INFO. FOLLOW SOME OF THESE FORUMS AND YOU WILL SEE THAT NOT ALL SOLUTIONS HAPPEN OVERNITE. SOME GET LOTS OF ATTENTION, SOME NONE. SOME EVEN LAST FOR WEEKS OR MONTHS.
                GIVE US A CHANCE, INSTEAD OF MAKING US LOOK LIKE THE BAD GUY. A FEW OF US WERE REAL GENUINE. ONE WAS NOT. THAT DOESN'T MAKE THE WHOLE BATCH ROTTEN APPLES.
                BEFORE YOU JUMP DOWN MY THROAT, OR OTHERS TRYING TO HELP. READ SOME OF OUR OTHER POSTS AND SEE FOR YOUSELF. I WOULD SAY MOST PEOPLE GOT THEIR QUESTIONS ANSWERED.
                I HOPE I SPEAK FOR ALL THE OTHER PEOPLE THAT ARE HERE TO SHARE AND HELP OTHERS.
                PLUMBER RICK.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK: FOLLOW SOME OF THESE FORUMS AND YOU WILL SEE THAT NOT ALL SOLUTIONS HAPPEN OVERNITE.
                  Hey Mac good advice! 76 posts in 3 years?

Where do you spend your time? In the "basement"?

[img]tongue.gif[/img]
                  Lorax
                  "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Plumber Rick---I addressed my diatribe to the idiot who gave an stupid answer---not you. I am fully aware my description was not all inclusive----but I felt I gave enough information to get a sensible answer----which I got from wbrooks. In fact, his suggestion was embarassing to me for not thinking of it myself!!

The situation is unique, all my experience proves that---I now have the plan with which to attack the problem-----and my asking has provided several of my friends a bit of humorous distraction.

Oh, yeah----Lorax-----BITE ME!!!!! [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Lorax
                      "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Plumber Rick---I addressed my diatribe to the idiot who gave an stupid answer---not you. I am fully aware my description was not all inclusive----but I felt I gave enough information to get a sensible answer----which I got from wbrooks. In fact, his suggestion was embarassing to me for not thinking of it myself!!

The situation is unique, all my experience proves that---I now have the plan with which to attack the problem-----and my asking has provided several of my friends a bit of humorous distraction.

Oh, yeah----Lorax-----BITE ME!!!!! [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]
                        I resent your post. I am an idiot, but it was not a stupid answer. If you had "experience" you would not blame the neighborhood kids.

ps. I will also admit to being pompous.
                        the dog

Comment

I will say again---I did not nor do not blame the neighbors kids---I simply stated that the problem is made worse when they do play. They and I have had our problems, as they have litte or no supervision---I caught one girl in my house getting food out of my refrigerator---but I do not begrudge them the basketball, nor the plastic pool---which smells like a hog pen after a week---nor the other normal things kids and teenagers do to distract themselves.

I also understand this problem flies in the face of experience---but it has been occuring for about two years now-----and did not start until they started playing BB in the yard----directly above the water main.

For instance, the kids have been gone for a week---and for five days, I have had no loose deposits coming from the cold water faucets. If I were to go play BB in the yard----there would be deposits.

I now have the idea which will prove to the manager that this problem is one that the investment group which owns the park will have to remedy.

Comment

Being that this is a trailer park, and not a residential installation, the water lines may have been run by the park owner or their employees and not buried to the depth that they should be. If that's the case, then the ball bouncing may aggrevate the situation.

One way to tell, install the strainer as WBrooks said just outside the connection to your trailer and monitor for a couple days. Document your findings for each day and note if the kids played ball that day or not. Also record the quantity removed from the strainer and try to keep the intervals between the screen cleanings to 24 +/- 1 hour so that the period measured is roughly equal.

Comment

I will say again---I did not nor do not blame the neighbors kids---I simply stated that the problem is made worse when they do play. They and I have had our problems, as they have litte or no supervision---I caught one girl in my house getting food out of my refrigerator---but I do not begrudge them the basketball, nor the plastic pool---which smells like a hog pen after a week---nor the other normal things kids and teenagers do to distract themselves.

I also understand this problem flies in the face of experience---but it has been occuring for about two years now-----and did not start until they started playing BB in the yard----directly above the water main.

For instance, the kids have been gone for a week---and for five days, I have had no loose deposits coming from the cold water faucets. If I were to go play BB in the yard----there would be deposits.

I now have the idea which will prove to the manager that this problem is one that the investment group which owns the park will have to remedy.
                              Based on the above, I stand with my original post.
                              the dog

Comment

Working...
                              X