X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power-spin does not advance or retract

The cable end is not connected to anything in the drum. The end is sitting where the tube joins the drum. I cannot find anywhere to connect the cable so that it turns with the drum. Please help. I have a tool with 25' of cable laying here on the floor so I would rather not return it to the store if possible.

I'm not sure what you mean by "power-spin"
    but if it is a powered handheld snake which
    has 25' of cable, the cable is not attached
    to the drum. With The K-39 for instance or even a Milwaukee you simply feed the cable back into the
    drum. The K-39 recommends you open the drum and
    load the cable clockwise but it is not attached
    to the drum.
    Hope that helps, hope thats what you are referring to.

Comment

I carry the power spin in my toolbox and have found it to be great on small lines. It's smaller and easier to use than my K-39.

Because I am able to use it with the clutch on my drill set to the #3 or 4 position I am able to prevent kinks and knots in the light cable. The K-39 has no clutch and uses a heavier 5/16" cable. also the K-39 spins much faster than my drill making kinks and twists more common. My drill has a double speed transmission allowing me to advance at 0-300 RPM and Retract at 1000 RPM.

The one drawback with this tool is it was designed to be used by home user's and not professionals. So this tool is not a durable as the K-39. This tool has a weak spot at the back end of the cable. Attached to the back end of the cable is a small attachment device that looks like a paperclip wrapped arround the end of the cable. This attaches to the back of the drum. I've broken two of these. Once this is broken the cable will not spin properly and in turn will not retract properly. Also this unit uses a slightly smaller lighter cable than a 1/4" cable and I haven't found a replacement for them.

I hope Ridgid will make the clip more durable and both the cable and clip avalible as replacement parts.

This will then create an excellent lightweight tool for the property maintenance professional.

Comment

I have a new K-40 with power feed and it's cable isn't anchored in the drum either! It has what's called a torque arm attached to the end instead.

I got an acc. 5/16" cable with a drophead cutter. I marked the cable like the speed bump version 7' from the end. While using it on a kitchen drain I hit the marker. I went reverse to reel it back in but the cable wasn't turning. I had to hand feed a couple of feet back into the drum before it started to rotate again. I guess the load was enough to overcome the drum's anti-slip design!

Comment

Originally posted by matt m:
          The cable end is not connected to anything in the drum. The end is sitting where the tube joins the drum. I cannot find anywhere to connect the cable so that it turns with the drum. Please help. I have a tool with 25' of cable laying here on the floor so I would rather not return it to the store if possible.
          Hello,

I too am having the same issue as matt m. The model he is talking about is the "Power Spin"(there is no model number). Please see pic below. The cable is not extending or retracting.

Comment

Please excuse the delay in my response. It appears that I overlooked this post and for that, I apologize.

In regards to the power spin, the cable does not attach to the drum in any fashion. There is however, a clip at the end of the cable that is intended to prevent the cable from falling completely out of the drum. The reason for this is that this tool is most commonly used for what we consider "soft" obstructions. (Hair, grease, soap deposits, food etc. The weight of the cable itself inside of the drum is sufficient to open these types of obstructions.

If the cable should be extended to the point where it is completely out of contact with the drum then it will in fact stop spinning. The cable then needs to be pushed back in to the drum until a few wraps of cable (1 or 2) and then it should begin to spin again.

There is a number for a replacement cable on a K-spin our catalog number for this is 14013.

If there are any further problems please do not hesitate to contact us at 800 519-3456.

Comment

Working...
            X