X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pasco "Ram-Bit"

I need to drill-out a plastic pipe (ABS) from the hub of an existing fitting. I remember doing this once with a Pasco drill bit, which I believe was called a "Ram-Bit." I checked their web site but don't see it, but then their website seems pretty lame at best. I'll check with Furguson tomarrow, but does anyone know of this, or an alternate. It would need to be for 4".

the dog
    the dog

plumbdog10,

You can try here:

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/pvcsaver.html

I have some sitting around somewhere. If you cannot find one let me know and I will look for mine.

I've had pretty good luck just using a hand held sawzall blade to cut a small piece out and then a screwdriver and hammer to finish the job.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I found one here that looks like it would do a much better job than the Pasco.

http://www.wheelerrex.com/pdfs-liter...er_PipeHog.pdf

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

mark, you're right. the wheller rex is the way to go. i own a complete set from 1.5'' - 4''. these are a real drill bit. they have 3 replaceable carbide cutters. also the cutters are reversable. meaning each insert has 4 cutter sides. while the pasco sort of works on friction.
        dog, if you can spring for the wheller rex, go for it. if it's a 1 shot project, the pasco will work.

just a little comment to all. some think that abs is a do it yourself material. as you can see the abs can be very challenging once it's glued. i find that no hub is much easier to work with. also if it's wrong, it's nothing a 5/16'' nut driver can't fix.
        rick.

[ 09-29-2005, 01:48 AM: Message edited by: PLUMBER RICK ]

Comment

Thanks all.

I found the Pasco at Furguson. It's a one time deal. Commercial construction in California does not allow plastic pipe in general, but is used in certain juristictions due to soil content.

This project is in San Bernadino, CA, which does allow it.

In my 20+ years of plumbing I have probably done 3-4 jobs in ABS (not counting the side work I did in residential years ago). But I remembered using the Pasco bit.

I agree with Rick, that cast iron is easier to work with. The warp factor is difficult to control. You strap your risers in the underground, only to find they are unplumb the next day due to the heat.

Anyway, thanks guys. If I intended to work in ABS more I would have the company buy the complete set of Wheeler bits.

Thanks Utah for the loan offer.

the dog
          the dog

Comment

Agreed the Wheeler is a far superior tool. The Pasco will get you by in a pinch but have found them to be innaccurate at best. I recently used a 2 inch pasco in an effort to save tearing into a laundy room wall. It left so much of the pipe in the fitting that one could not install a new piece of pipe into the hub, yet the pieces were too thin to split and remove in the manual fashion and the wall had to be opened anyway.
            Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

If you're only going to use the Ram Bit or the Pipe Hog once, or even a few times, you might consider using an Over-Fitting:

http://www.afittingcompany.com

Comment

The over fitting does not currently meet codes in Illinois.
                Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Working...
                X