X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bending pipe in tripod vice

As an electrician we install and bend conduit all of the time. I have used Ridgid 450 or 460 vices for 20+ years.
    I have never seen anyone use the pipe bender in the tripod vice though.

Do plumbers or pipe fitters ever bend their pipe? I have never seen it done. What I have always seen is the plumbers and fitters use fittings to make all of their turns.

Does anyone use the benders in the tripod vice?

AS PLUMBERS, WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BEND PIPE. ONLY WITH SOFT COPPER TUBING, AND THIS IS DONE PRIMARILY BY HAND. NO BENDING SHOES.

[ 03-11-2005, 03:42 AM: Message edited by: PLUMBER RICK ]

Comment

So why the bending shoes on the tripod vices?
      Can't be for the electricians...can it?

Comment

That's why we didn't put anything on the new 425 Tristand. We wanted to keep it small, and also found most people don't bend conduit with the forms in the 450/460.
        Steve
        www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

I ordered a 425 this past weekend.
          I will let you know what I think of it after I get to use it.
          I looks perfect for what we do.

Comment

Ah, that's great to hear! Once you get it and use it a bit, I'd appreciate any comments you have, or even getting me your contact info via email and I can call and see how you like it. Once things are in production, we don't hear much feedback. Only when there is a problem, and then they go through Tech Service.
            Steve
            www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK:
              AS PLUMBERS, WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BEND PIPE. ONLY WITH SOFT COPPER TUBING CAN WE BEND PIPE AND THIS IS DONE BY HAND. NO BENDING SHOES.
              I'm not sure where you got the idea that soft copper tubing can only be bent by hand. In fact, this is the wrong way to bend tubing. The exception would be where you have the space for long radius turns, which is still against the code, but extensivly done. Underground installations, which afford a long radius turn are usually installed this way. I have bent copper tubing extensivly in piping applications, and in an exposed area have always used Ridgid tubing benders. At a minimum a bending spring should be used for tight radius bends.

Here in L.A. County, where I work, we are obligated to follow the Uniform Plumbing Code. Under section 609.1 it states:" ...changes in direction in copper tubing may be made with bends, provided that such bends are made with bending equipment that does not create a loss in the cross-sectional area of the tubing."
              the dog

Comment

WHAT I WAS REFERRING TO WAS THE BENDING OF PIPE IN THE TRISTAND VICE. NOT HOW WE BEND IT IN THE FIELD. I TOO HAVE BENT LOTS OF SOFT COPPER TUBING, INCLUDING 2''. ONCE AGAIN IT HAS TO BE SOFT TEMPER, NOT HARD COPPER. SPRINGS ONLY COME UP TO 7/8'' AS FAR AS I KNOW. FOR A CLOSE RADIUS BEND ONE NEEDS TO USE A PROPER TUBING BENDER. NOT THE ONE THAT IS PART OF THE TRISTAND. THESE ARE SET UP FOR RIDGID PIPE.
                RICK.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK:
                  WHAT I WAS REFERRING TO WAS THE BENDING OF PIPE IN THE TRISTAND VICE. NOT HOW WE BEND IT IN THE FIELD. I TOO HAVE BENT LOTS OF SOFT COPPER TUBING, INCLUDING 2''. ONCE AGAIN IT HAS TO BE SOFT TEMPER, NOT HARD COPPER. SPRINGS ONLY COME UP TO 7/8'' AS FAR AS I KNOW. FOR A CLOSE RADIUS BEND ONE NEEDS TO USE A PROPER TUBING BENDER. NOT THE ONE THAT IS PART OF THE TRISTAND. THESE ARE SET UP FOR RIDGID PIPE.
                  RICK.
                  1) The copper we use in plumbing is all tubing. The exception would be real copper pipe, which is rarely used today (if at all). Some is ridgid tubing, some is soft tubing.

2) Your post indicates that a Ridgid tripod is not able to properly bend soft copper tubing. I think this is wrong. I don't see a reason why a plumber couldn't use the bending feature of a stand. I have used seperate benders due to convience, ie. the bender can be used in place.

[ 03-10-2005, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: plumbdog10 ]
                  the dog

Comment

PLUMBERDOG10
                    A DEBATE IS NOT WHAT I WAS GETTING INTO WHEN I PUT MY INPUT INTO THIS TOPIC. IF YOU WANT A DEBATE THEN I CAN MAKE IT A DEBATE.
                    SEEMS LIKE YOU AGREED WITH ME ON THE LAST SUBJECT OF THREADING NIPPLES. NOW YOU TRY TO FIND FAULT WITH A WORD THAT IS TAKEN OUT OF CONTEX. REMEMBER THIS IS MY OPINION AND VIEW OF 30 YEARS IN THE PLUMBING BUSINESS.
                    FIRST OF ALL THE PIPE I WAS REFERRING TO IS STEEL SCH. 40 PIPE. NOT COPPER. AS MORRIS STATED THEY ELIMINATED THE BENDING FEATURE ON THIS NEW VICE DUE TO THE FACT THAT MOST PEOPLE DON'T USE IT AND TO MAKE IT SMALLER.
                    SHOW ME WHEN YOU ROLLED OUT A 60' LENGTH OF TYPE L TUBING AND THEN TOOK IT TO THE TRISTAND VICE TO BEND IT. IF THIS IS WHAT YOU DO ON A JOBSITE THEN YOU MUST BE WORKING ON A GOVERNMENT JOB. SINCE I STARTED IN PLUMBING IN 1975, I CAN'T REMEMBER ANYTIME I'VE EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT BENDING COPPER TUBING IN A TRISTAND VICE. ALSO THE BENDING DIES ARE SIZED FOR 1/2'',3/4'', AND 1''STEEL PIPE. SOFT COPPER WOULD GET DINGED/ DEFORMED ON THE REAR OF THE SHOE WHEN BENDING IN THIS MANNER. THAT IS WHY WE AS PLUMBERS HAVE OUR OWN LINE OF BENDERS FOR COPPER. HOPE YOUR NOT USING THE ELECTRICIANS CONDUIT BENDERS FOR YOUR COPPER TUBING. I DO OWN BENDERS FOR SMALLER TUBING UP TO 7/8'' OD.THESE ARE PORTABLE AND MEANT TO BE USED IN PLACE. A HVAC FITTER IS MORE LIKELY TO BE BENDING TUBING, SINCE THEY TEND TO WORK WITH MORE SOFT COPPER THAN PLUMBERS. THE TRISTAND HAS A CEILING BRACE SCREW TO SECURE THE VICE TIGHT TO THE FLOOR. CAN'T SEE STEEL PIPE BEING BENT WITHOUT IT FLIPPING UNLESS BEING SECURED. SO UNLESS THERE IS A CEILING ABOVE YOU IT'S NOT GOING TO STAY STABLE ENOUGH TO KEEP FROM TIPPING. THAT'S WHY A BENDER IS MORE PRACTICAL TO USE.
                    PS. I DO OWN 3 TRISTAND VICES.
                    MAYBE SPEND SOME TIME TRYING TO HELP OTHERS THAN TRYING TO FIND FAULT IN A WORD OR AN OPINION.
                    HOPE THIS PUTS AN END TO THIS DEBATE. I HAVE BETTER THINGS TO DO THAN DEBATE YOU.
                    RICK

[ 03-11-2005, 03:00 AM: Message edited by: PLUMBER RICK ]

Comment

Plumber Rick,

I agreed with you on the "nipple thread" because you were right.

I disagreed with you on this thread because you were wrong.

If you have better things to do than debate, so be it. Don't respond.

I maintain, and continue to do so, that there is nothing wrong with using a tri-stand bending feature to bend soft copper tubing.
                      the dog

Comment

ONCE AGAIN AS STATED THE TRISTAND VICE BENDING SHOES WERE NEVER SIZED FOR COPPER TUBING. THEY WERE DESIGNED FOR RIDGID STEEL PIPE.
                        LAST QUESTION PLUMERDOG10- WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU EVER USED THE BENDING SHOES OF THIS VICE ON COPPER TUBING? HOW OFTEN TO YOU USE IT FOR THIS TASK?
                        MY POINT IS THAT I GAVE MY INPUT TO A CURIOUS ELECTRICAN THAT USED THESE POST TO MAKE AN EDUCATED DECESION ON PURCHASING A NEW MODEL VICE. YOU JUMP IN AFTER THE FACT AND TELL ME EVERYTHING YOU CLAIM TO KNOW AND MAKE IT SOUND LIKE IT'S YOU WAY OR NO WAY. I'LL BE SURE TO BE YOUR CRITIC IN THE FUTURE TOO. OUT OF CURIOSITY HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN IN BUSINESS? WHAT IS YOUR SPECIALTY IN THE PLUMBING FIELD? WHAT TOOL PURCHASING DECISION TO HAVE IN YOUR POSITION? DO YOU ATTEND ANY OF THE TRADE SHOWS HERE LOCALLY OR ABROAD TO FURTHER YOU KNOWLEDGE OF WHATS NEW OUT THERE IN THE PLUMBING FIELD.
                        IF YOU WANT TO GO OVER EVERY LAST WORD I EXPRESS TO HELP OTHERS, I'LL BE SURE TO REVIEW ALL OF YOUR POSTINGS TOO.
                        I THINK THAT THIS MATTER IS CLOSED.
                        RICK

Comment

my 2 cents. as we know pipe is id tube is od. steel shoes for pipe will kink tubing!
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

The pipe benders allow one to make great hooks and to make temporary offsets when shutting down equipment to wait for the right parts is not an option. As a whole I almost never use them for their intended purpose.

Rigid copper can be bent if it is annealed. It leaves the pipe weaker and is not reccomended but for some applications such as long slow sweeps under raised walkways or along tank farms its the best solution. Particularly in explosive atmospheres where open flame torches are not allowed.
                            Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

The UPC allows for the bending of soft or hard copper as long as you follow the Installation Standards. I've only used bends in hard drawn copper a few times to do some real custom stuff. I would never do it for any other reasons and I did have a lot of waste from the bending.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                              X