X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a NEW problem. Help?

Thanks for all your help on my sump pump issues. I'll be drilling the air bleed hole this weekend.

We put the sump pump in last weekend. I can only assume my problem has something to do with this?

Last night, my hubby was doing laundry. I heard bizarre water sounds from the bathroom.

I ran in there and saw bubbles coming from the toilet. Then water started to back up into the tub! The toilet water level also rose!

Then the water in the tub went back down & the toilet water level was normal. I stood there for a while and saw the water level in the toilet go down. Minutes later, it rose back up to level - stalled, then started with the bubbles again. Again at this time, water came back up into the tub from the bottom drain AND the top overflow drain!

We have never had this occur in the 6 years we've lived here so I assumed it had something to do with installing the new sump last weekend. However - we've done laundry in the 4 or so days leading up to last night's event, so I'm stumped!

The only thing I could think of was that we both used the bathroom/flushed the toilet while the laundry was running. Possibly the laundry water was discharging and the toilet was flushed at the same time and the ejector pump was on all at once?

This event stopped after the laundry was done.

The ejector/lift pump is only a year old.

Umm... I'm really concerned. Any ideas as to what is happening here? Thank you!!!

Lisa,
    In most cases a sump pump is removing water from the ground that comes from either rain run-off or leeches up from the ground below. Your sanitary sewer is the one that handles the washer, bathtub / shower, and toilet drains. In most cases these two systems are not connected to one another. When a washer is draining, this pushes a tremendous amount of water down the drain at one time. I suspect that you have a drain that is partially clogged. This partial restriction would not be noticed until you push a large amount of water down the drain at the same time, i.e. washing machine. Once this volume of water gets pushed to the obstruction, and there is not enough room for it to flow the water will take the path of least resistance and back up into the tubs, toilets and other drains. I would make sure that your main sewer line is cleaned and free of obstructions before proceeding. I realize that systems differ between various regions of the country, but my initial thought is that your drain is clogged. I would also see what suggestions the plumbers on this site have as I am sure they have seen a few more of these situations than I have.
    I hope this is of some assistance.

Comment

Adam, thanks for answering. That's an interesting idea and sounds logical.

Perhaps there was an existing clog and by me cleaning and the disturbance in the well - it just added to the clog and pushed it over the edge.

When hubby removed the old discharge line at the ceiling area, he had a ton of water fall on him. He thought that was odd because he felt the water should not have been sitting in the line - it should have gone 'somewhere'.

I'm also suspecting the ejector pump is shooting some water back into the sump pump area. I guess perhaps because it can't go anywhere else?

Dumb question, how can I check to see if there IS a clog? Where would I insert a snake? Can I do it from the tub drain or the area where my sump discharge line meets the cast iron area? Would a simple snake do the trick? I don't have a clue how these pipes run or how long and don't know if a snake can do such a job. Would like to avoid calling a plumber if I can help it.

Thanks!

Comment

Try a nearby sink first, take off the p-trap and put the snake in there. If your washing machine is draining into the sink I would try there first. If it drains into a pipe or wall drain start there. A basic snake will work o.k. to 2" pipe, after that go rent one they are very cheap. Good luck.

Comment

Why on earth, would anyone choose to put up with such a problem, and be reluctant to call a Plumber?
          I understand that the cost is a factor, but would you have the same outlook, if your car was causing problems?

Regards

Jim Williams

Comment

Lisa, I know this doesn't pertain to your question at hand but while reading your last post I noticed that you are running laundry discharge into your pump. Please be aware that Ridgid Pumps are not designed to handle laundry discharge. The pump will eventually become clogged with lint or other debri and the pump will overheat. These pumps are only reccomended for clear water. If removing the pump is not an option at the very least be sure to install a lint trap on your laundry discharge and remove the pump periodically to clean the inlets.

Comment

Working...
            X