Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kitchen faucet is slow to turn off

Hi,

I recently shut the water off in my basement to do some plumbing in the laundry room. Ever since doing this the faucet in my kitchen is slow to turn off. Basically when i shut the faucet off the water continues to run for a few seconds. The faucet is a single handle on the side. I replaced the cartridge but this did not fix the problem. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks

what's the water pressure in the house?
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

would this be a pull out faucet with a flow restrictor and check valve?

even a side sprayer hose has a diverter valve that would also be dirty.

if so the flow restrictor is dirty and creates a back pressure. typically there is a filter screen to protect the check valve and flow restrictor.

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Don`t you wished you had called a plumber in the first place as it`s not as easy as it looks

Tony

Comment

Make and model of the faucet would be helpful or even a picture.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          Ron's Facebook
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I'm thinking Rick is onto something. I'd check the aerator, too. I've seen partially clogged aerators cause issues like the OP describes. Partially clogged shower heads will do the same thing - dribble a gradually slowing stream of water after the valve is shut off.

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys. Here are a few pictures. I think the cost of a plumber would have been more then a replacement faucet. Plus how are you supposed to learn getting someone to do everything for you. The water pressure seems to be good. I'm not sure what the brand is as it came with the house. I think its probably Home Depots discount brand. I've taken the aerator off and it looked like it was in good shape, maybe a bit of calcium. The replacement cartridge did nothing. I've also taken the spout off and it looked ok as well. It seems to me like a o ring but there really aren't many parts to it. When you turn the faucet off is it supposed to keep the remaining water in the spout by vacumn, similar to when you put your finger over the end of a straw that is full of water?
              Last edited by timbir; 04-22-2014, 07:50 PM.

Comment

For some reason it wont let me upload photos. The faucet does not have a side sprayer and it is not a pull out. It is not the same as the attached but it is similar.
                http://www.homedepot.ca/product/arbo...x-in-ch/809966

Comment

Originally posted by timbir View Post
                  seems to be good.
                  "Good" is not a number.

I have a customer that has your faucet and she hates it. Before the sprayer assembly there is a screen on a plastic insert. The insert also has 3 micro holes to regulate flow. You cannot remove this insert and still have the hose seal.
                  ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Woohoo. I fixed it. It ended up being the aerator. I took it off, cleaned it and re-assembled it. I think one of the parts was installed in the wrong order last time I took it apart. I never knew it was so important. Thanks for everyone's ideas.

Comment

Aerator, YES! I like this trouble-shooting stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by timbir View Post
                        Woohoo. I fixed it. It ended up being the aerator. I took it off, cleaned it and re-assembled it. I think one of the parts was installed in the wrong order last time I took it apart. I never knew it was so important. Thanks for everyone's ideas.
                        Smart choice aerator is the best thing to have for kitchen and bathrooms. Low-Flow aerators saves water as well.
                        Last edited by DonnaGook; 06-14-2014, 04:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X