X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commercial water heater piping

I recently took on a position overseeing and/or perfroming maintenance in a large restaurant. I have serious reservations about the piping/valving in re the recirculator and tempering valves. I was a machinist's mate in the Navy, but am not up on current practice.

The set up has two Simmons tempering valves and a lot of cross piping. There is only one check valve in the whole mess, at the output of the Taco pump. I don't see what keeps the pump from pushing into the cold water lines, or the tempering valves from backfeeding into the tank.

I could really use a referral to literature online or off that is reliable, providing diagrams for standard install and logic. I think someone goofed when this was redone awhile back. We have both pressure and quantity issues with the hot water.

Thanks

http://www.symmons.com/
    If you have symmons temp control valve go to this site and find the product. They give proper piping diagrams for them in PDF format. I jusyt recently insalled a tempering valve with bypass and recirc pump in a school and it had 4 check valves in the system.

Comment

Thanks so much for the reply. You might be pleased (?) to know that you are the ONLY person on three major plumbing forums to respond to my request for ignorance remediation...

[ 12-15-2004, 04:07 AM: Message edited by: bem ]

Comment

Your mre than welcome BEM. The way I see it someone took the time to show and tell me about this stuff so I feel I owe that back to the industry. Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by bem:
          I recently took on a position overseeing and/or perfroming maintenance in a large restaurant. I have serious reservations about the piping/valving in re the recirculator and tempering valves. I was a machinist's mate in the Navy, but am not up on current practice.

The set up has two Simmons tempering valves and a lot of cross piping. There is only one check valve in the whole mess, at the output of the Taco pump. I don't see what keeps the pump from pushing into the cold water lines, or the tempering valves from backfeeding into the tank.

I could really use a referral to literature online or off that is reliable, providing diagrams for standard install and logic. I think someone goofed when this was redone awhile back. We have both pressure and quantity issues with the hot water.

Thanks
          The recurculating line should tie into the cold water feed line. There should be a check valve in the cold water feed before the tee introducincing the recurculation line to prevent back pressure from the pump injecting recurculation water from entering the cold water system. Having worked in commercial/institutional plumbing my whole career, I've seen engineers screw this simple system-up numerous times. Simple logic agrees with this system.

The mixing valve (if called for) should be installed with the hot water supply and the cold water supply. No check valve should be necessary prior to that valve.
          the dog

Comment

Working...
          X