Looking for Plumbing, Diagnostic and Pressing Tool Stories

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Plumbing, Diagnostic and Pressing Tool Stories

Get a free RIDGID t-shirt by sharing a problem you solved in a commercial setting using a RIDGID tool. Send your stories to Rachel.Gilmore@Emerson.com .. pictures and/or videos are welcomed!

Wonder who will reply to this one LOL.
    There are no problems "solved" with press technology. What did we do before press technology? I guess we threw our hands up in despair and walked away from the job. I'll leave this thread to the resident "master" of all plumbing tools LOL
    sigpic

Comment

Well I would except that it says "commercial" so I guess that rules out all of us DIYers.

How about another tee shirt giveaway for sharing a problem you solved in a DIY setting

Comment

I was working on a commercial job a few years back with this real know-it-all. You know the type, has an answer for everything and backs it up with a line of B.S. a mile long.

Well, we were running black pipe and I was up in the ceiling system with 2 24" Ridgid aluminum pipe wrenches, screwing together the 2" main. The job foreman was all over me to hurry up so the electrician could run his something or other. About that time, my know-it-all co-worker starts telling me how HE would do it. I'd had enough and took a swing at him with the 24" Ridgid in my left hand. I only made partial contact, but he shut up and went back to running the threader.

Ridgid to the rescue again!!!

Comment

I'm kidding of course.

Comment

Well, let's see. About 3 years ago I was asked to install a 1 1/2" sub water meter in the ceiling of a brand new investment/brokerage office space. The 2" copper main was serving the new office space, a large busy restaurant, get water back on by 7am type of restaurant, a large high end hair salon, a couple of small retail spaces and another small restaurant. I figured shutdown and complete draining of the 200+' water main to be a couple of hours, at least. Protection and water control in someone's new office another 2 hours. Drag in the B tank with a big tip, a big fire extinguisher, solder, sandpaper, flux, etc, another hour. Cut open the main in the ceiling and finish the draindown, sand, flux and prepare to solder the 2 x 2 x 1 1/2" tee, another hour, etc, etc etc. 5 hours? So show up about 2 am?

But then I remembered my brand new Ridgid 330 Propress tool. I figured now mostly draining down the main would be sufficient, no fire extinguisher, much less water control time, no torch, no fire risk, etc, etc, etc. Now I'm looking at 2 hours, and I am still going to charge a similar premium rate for this project. So I show up at 5am and start the draindown of the main (to the point of where I would feel comfortable cutting in the ceiling above several very large tupperware style bins). Employees are prepping the new office space. I prep the tee with an 1 1/2" valve and head up the ladder. I mark the take out of the Propress tee and cut the copper. Helpers and large bins catch the remaining water while I sand the copper smooth and mark it to insure full insertion in the tee. I spread the 2" pipe, insert the tee while the water is still pouring out of the main and reach for the big 330. Two quick squeezes and I send a helper to turn the water back on. Water back on about 5:45am.

Actually, I lied. I never considered soldering for this project. Why would I? Propressing blows soldering away and I absolutely love to solder. Everyone who wants to keep soldering and dealing with the occasional leaks due to water dripping, dirty pipe, employees who rush their work and fail to realize they don't have a proper joint can keep soldering. You fight the fire hazards, steam, occasional burns, wiping your joints to make them pretty, and wasted time waiting for the pipe to heat up and I'll lap you with a Propress like you're pedaling a tricycle at the Daytona 500. We will both have an occasional leak but my annual revenues will substantially more than an old school plumber.

David

Comment

Wahhhhh
              sigpic

Comment

Careful - too many pressing stories and NHM is probably going to self-destruct

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                  Wahhhhh

Yeah...... I cried too when I realized how stubborn I had been over the years refusing to adapt to the propress world. But I do love a good solder joint. Get me on a job with a double 4" prv station with strainers, guages, unions, bypass and multiple ball valves and I'm in soldering heaven.

David

Comment

• Plumber Punky
                    Plumber Punky commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'd like to have a propress setup but the amount of pipe refits i do is minimal. it's still an art to properly solder, and even more of an art, to properly install pex. (i use viega fostpex.) It's really not "slap it up and connect it any old way."

the setup would be expensive toys that are hard to justify.

• blue_can
                    blue_can commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Plumber Punky - possibly you can rent a propress on an as needed basis if you cannot justify a purchase. Here in SD Ferguson will rent you one for about $75/day. I really would like to understand why the tool carries such a huge price tag .

• Plumber Punky
                    Plumber Punky commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good to know. if i ever need to bid another large job i can keep it in mind.

Had a job today that the ProPress couldn't handle. Had to break out the torch.

Used on the Creme Brulee

Last edited by ArizonaPlumber; 05-05-2014, 10:55 PM.

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
                    PLUMBER RICK commented
                    Editing a comment
                    probably the same torch on my cruise last week. 7 days of creme brulee.

what was amazing was the 3000+ passenger 1200 crew ship 1000' long was all press fittings on the piping i could see. from the 4'' fire mains to the exposed deck drains running under the balconies. i was signed up for the ultimate tour that gets to spend 3 hours with a ships officer and visit all the behind the scene areas including the engine room. but at $150.00 a person they needed 6 min and 12 max. we only had 4 committed. so it was cancelled. too bad, the pictures would have made nhmaster jump overboard. the princess ship is made in italy by 1 of the largest ship builders in the world. heck according to nhmaster, the press fittings would sink a ship with leaks.

Rick.

• NHMaster3015
                    NHMaster3015 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Gosh, they used Propress on a cruise ship. Imagine that LOL Why not Pex too? ?

• ArizonaPlumber
                    ArizonaPlumber commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm experimenting with the torch thingy. So far I've found great success with my "Honey Baked Spam" glaze but having issues Master ing S'mores.

Rachel, i'll post this here and then link the thread of a 3'' double check valve i was able to install in 1 day by myself and still maintain water to the multi million dollar units. the city inspector was so impressed with the finished project, he brought his other inspector there to see it for themselves and learn. he happens to write the book on cross connections and knows his stuff. just to clarify, the 3'' main was buried and needed to brought up above ground for the backflow and back down to the underground. installed and finished in 1 day with water still on to the complex. thanks to my propress tools and ring jaws. will look for the older post.

found it from 6/ 2009.

https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/me...-with-propress

lots of good photos to go with the install.

Rick.
                  Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 05-06-2014, 02:09 AM. Reason: link.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

• NHMaster3015
                    NHMaster3015 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nothing newer than five years ago? I mean what, You have about a dozen of them, I would think you could post something a bit more recent LOL

• PLUMBER RICK
                    PLUMBER RICK commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Of course I have new almost weekly propress save the day stories. But this particulr one had the praise of the cities cross connection chief. So impressed he had a field trip the next day with his field inspectors.

Why not post some of your school projects if you're supposse to be an educator? Talk is cheap and thats all you do.

Rick.

Two days and only two positive responses. Damn popular product. So, with most of the world going to pex and most of those fittings being 1" and smaller, unless you happen to be wrapped up in a whole lot of spec commercial work, how much sense does it make to spend three or four grand, plus 3 to 10 times the fitting cost on a tool that will sit on the shelf most of the time? I give it about 10 years and Propress will be a short paragraph in the history of plumbing. BTW, I don't expect a Tee shirt to be forthcoming LOL OTOH, I am a big fan of Ridgid wrenches, threading equipment, drain equipment and some of their hand tools. I think their 1/2" hole hawg is superior to the latest Milwaukee offering too.
                  sigpic

Comment

Two days and only two positive responses. Damn popular product. So, with most of the world going to pex and most of those fittings being 1" and smaller, unless you happen to be wrapped up in a whole lot of spec commercial work, how much sense does it make to spend three or four grand, plus 3 to 10 times the fitting cost on a tool that will sit on the shelf most of the time? I give it about 10 years and Propress will be a short paragraph in the history of plumbing. BTW, I don't expect a Tee shirt to be forthcoming LOL OTOH, I am a big fan of Ridgid wrenches, threading equipment, drain equipment and some of their hand tools. I think their 1/2" hole hawg is superior to the latest Milwaukee offering too.
                    Well 3 if you count beer can crushing with the propress

Comment

Well okay I will contribute a story although this is in a DIY setting.

I purchased a used MK-101 tile saw in good shape from a retiring tile contractor. However the older saws did not have a "lock" button to lock the shaft while removing the blade. Most times the blade can be held by hand and the nut loosened. However this blade had been on there for years and was impossible to remove using this method.

After thinking about it for a while I got out my 18" Ridigd pipe wrench. It fit around the exposed portion of the back of the shaft and I was able to use it to lock the shaft and loosen the nut.

Cannot think of any other way to have got this done.

Comment

Two days and only two positive responses. Damn popular product. So, with most of the world going to pex and most of those fittings being 1" and smaller, unless you happen to be wrapped up in a whole lot of spec commercial work, how much sense does it make to spend three or four grand, plus 3 to 10 times the fitting cost on a tool that will sit on the shelf most of the time? I give it about 10 years and Propress will be a short paragraph in the history of plumbing.

We use our press tools daily. I could care less about how much the fittings cost as I not buying them, the customer is. A press eliminates about an hour of time on typical water heater install. That's before you have the regular dripping pipes that you lose another hour vacuuming dry.
                        I could add in the story of the hard freeze that we had last winter. We had tens of thousands of homes in Metro Atlanta with frozen split pipes after unheard of single digit temperatures. We worked 18 hr days repairing pipes for an entire week. We had to unplug the phones. We went through 100's and 100s of press couplings. Women hugging and kissing us. People tipping us right and left. Customers who couldn't believe their luck that we could get to them, some were without water for days. Show up, tear a hole in the wall, cut out the split, slip in a piece of pipe and 2 press couplings while the 2 story house is still draining. Press, press, turn the water on, head to the next customer. Ten minutes and done.

Or spend 30-60 minutes draining down and vacuuming the house water. Then you have to sand the wet pipe, ruining the sandpaper, what a pain getting flux to stick to wet pipe. Then you fight the steam and burning insulation and wood. A quick 2 - 3 hours later and you're done.

But what do I know, I'm being told pressing is ruining the trade and costing us money.

David

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
                          PLUMBER RICK commented
                          Editing a comment
                          David, remember nhmaster uses illegal flux. So steam and dripping water doesn't apply as much, compared to us plumbers using approved legal water soluble flux.

He now likes to deny it, but its been written about too many times.

Good job david. There's always 1 crying wolf.

Rick.

• Plumber Punky
                          Plumber Punky commented
                          Editing a comment
                          or take a wire brush, clean until shiny, bang down the edges, and silver braze it shut. also a 10 minute job. no flux needed.

• NHMaster3015
                          NHMaster3015 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The Flux the Flux LOL Ok, where have I written about it? I have actually but not in the context that you want to apply it too.

Here's the straight scoop for those following this mess. I live in Maine and work mostly in New Hampshire. Neither of those states are requiring, inspecting or enforcing the use of water soluble flux. California may be mandating it but we ARE NOT and though Rick says the national government is mandating it, he is wrong. The fed is mandating nothing of the sort. It is up to the states and their individual code and code enforcement boards to make that decision. The question is "do we us water soluble flux" and the answer is yes most of the time. New systems, new construction, dry piping all the time. If we have to use the old stuff though we do. This really comes down to due diligence. We have always cleaned and flushed systems regardless of the flux being used. I'd bet Mr. Master has brought up "illegal flux" a dozen or more times as his defacto argument but........It doesn't hold water LOL.

I have posted a ton of pictures of the work the students have done both here and on other forums.

Yes, talk is cheap and bull squat is even cheaper. So, Why no PEX? Why thousands of dollars in tools you can't use, How you making millions all by yourself?

The hypocrisy of a guy ranting at me for not accepting crap and crap products but he hasn't decided to use PEX yet? Give me a break. Makes me think that he doesn't use pex because he doesn't do much new work. Like I said before, a self egrandising drain cleaner / service plumber.

If you spent less time on cruise ships, promotional "round-up's" and making girl'y drinks with your drain cleaner you might be able to keep up with what is really happening in and too the trades.

How many sectional machines do you have now? LOL How many of them can you run at the same time all by yourself LoL BTW, those of us that are serious about business know that there are ways to invest money that give you a high rate of return and buying tools that depreciate ain't one of them. LOL
                          In your case 2 + 2 don't add up to 4 LOL

Plumber Punky, Nice, there are still real plumbers out there that understand the trade and the skills required. Thank you
                          Last edited by NHMaster3015; 05-07-2014, 08:19 AM.
                      Working...
                      X