Shop sink drain line

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop sink drain line

I've got a shop that is a few hu dred feet from my house. When I built it I ran water but no sewer as the shop is on lower ground than the house/septic. I have a hose faucet outside and a sink inside. The sink was on an exterior wall but I'm moving it to an interior wall. Currently the sink has no trap and a drain that dumps straight out the back wall. Its only used for rinsing hands and such (no chemicals or solid waste). I have jack hammered up the concrete to the interior wall to lay the drain and water lines. I had planned in running 1 1/2 or 1 1/4 pipe for the drain and running it outside like the last one. The total drain line will be about 15-20ft from sink to outside. I know normally any drain under a slab would be 3-4in PVC. Will a 15ft run of a smaller pipe be fine for this? I figure that since there are no solids and since it isn't tied into a sewer or septic it will be just fine, but I wanted to get opinions.

Go with 2-inch and add a vent.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
      Go with 2-inch and add a vent.
      Would an aav suffice? That's about the only place I could put one.

Comment

Perhaps. It's a fairly long run.
        How about on the outside wall?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
          Perhaps. It's a fairly long run. How about on the outside wall?
          would a vent really serve a purpose right at the end of the pipe. The drain is going to dump an inch or so past the outside wall

Comment

You should install a trap to prevent any critters , flies from crawling in and getting inside the structure. An aav would be better than nothing.

Rick.

phoebe it is

Comment

Its not going into a sewer or septic so why bother with a trap or a vent? Put some screen over the end of the pipe to keep the critters out.
              sigpic

Comment

Rick and NHmastter. That's the least of my worry's... The shop isn't exactly selaed anyway. But I think I'm going to do a trap just to make it easier to connect the drain to the strainer

Comment

Originally posted by futuresweets10 View Post
                  would a vent really serve a purpose right at the end of the pipe. The drain is going to dump an inch or so past the outside wall
                  OK, OK, now I get it.
                  Need a vent at the sink.
                  I would also trap.

Comment

Whatever floats your boat. In the end, what you are doing is illegal anyway so nothing you do really matters.
                    sigpic

Comment

• futuresweets10
                      futuresweets10 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I am aware that it doesn't pass code, but its no different than running a garden hose onto the ground for all practical purposes. We both know I'm not gonna get arrested for it and at the end of the day it will serve its purpose with no harm done to anyone. I just want it to drain properly.

• NHMaster3015
                      NHMaster3015 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Well then, it must be OK

Comment

Big Jim.... I ended up running the second half of the run through an interior wall to avoid trenching the slab all the way. This also allowed me to put a vent where the pipe comes out of the slab

Comment

Should work....and that's all you want it to do, right?
                        I would have turned the first 90 45 degrees on its heel and used a 45 instead of the second 90....just out of habit if nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                          Its not going into a sewer or septic so why bother with a trap or a vent? Put some screen over the end of the pipe to keep the critters out.

We're plumbing now! Old school at it's finest.

Comment

I suppose that as long as nobody else that might not know where the sink drains, uses it and that it gets remove if the house is sold, it must be ok. We don't need no stinkin codes
                            sigpic

Comment

• 1948CaseVAI
                              1948CaseVAI commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Out here on the plains (Kansas) there are thousands of gallons of sink and washing machine water running out the sides of farm houses and onto the yard every day. The only consequence is that occasionally there is too much soap or lint and it builds up a bit on the grass, but the mower will spread it out eventually. On may farms the only room connected to septic or lagoon is the bathroom. And no one gets harmed or bothered about it. I understand that in those unhappy areas where the population density is too high you really can't have that, but urban rules should not apply everywhere.

• NHMaster3015
                              NHMaster3015 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Ah, ah........sure. Laundry soap and such is good for the environment i hear.
                          Working...
                          X