Powervent requirments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powervent requirments

My father in law needs a new water heater. Currently he has a 50 gallon, power vent (Rheem I think). For some reason he is under the impression that he can purchase an atmospheric vent and reuse the old vent. Am I wrong to assume that this is not possible/legal to do?

The vent is schedule 40 and the run is horizontal so it's power vented for a reason. Is there any conceivable/legal way he can get out of buying a power vented tank? Those things aren't interchangeable are they? I think HD or Blowes is telling him what he wants to hear. Thanks in advance

what he wants to do is highly dangerous and definitely not to code. you CANNOT use a standard atmospheric tank with a pvc venting system. you cannot convert a standard atmospheric tank to vent with pvc.

you CAN convert a standard atmospheric tank to power vent with an APPROVED external venter (Tjernlund makes one) and steel pipe. this will be more expensive than a standard power vented tank.

if he has a power vented tank with a pvc vent his options are the same style of tank or converting to tankless or electric.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
      what he wants to do is highly dangerous and definitely not to code. you CANNOT use a standard atmospheric tank with a pvc venting system. you cannot convert a standard atmospheric tank to vent with pvc.

you CAN convert a standard atmospheric tank to power vent with an APPROVED external venter (Tjernlund makes one) and steel pipe. this will be more expensive than a standard power vented tank.

if he has a power vented tank with a pvc vent his options are the same style of tank or converting to tankless or electric.

What he said...........................

Comment

Working...
      X