Cast iron vs Pvc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cast iron vs Pvc

Hi, I need to have a couple of sections of my stack replaced because I have a leak,(I made a temporary repair for now). The plumber wants to replace the sections with cast iron which it is now. I think it's a good idea. My neighbor says he should use pvc. What would be the better choice.

Cast iron would be my pick as it's much quieter. My question is what experience does your neighbor have to make you doubt your plumber?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I would also use cast iron for the reason above. Even with insulation pvc is rather loud. Just my opinion.

Comment

If your doing a couple sections on a stack then why not re pipe the whole stack through the roof?.If is cast iron now and u want to use p.v.c then youre going to use no hub or mission couplings to make the transition.So this will allow the pipe to loose it's integrity..So I'd honestly replace the whole stack.

Comment

Or use cast iron for the repairs...but it's going to be a p.i.t.a...lol

Comment

From my expirence some are just concerned with one thing...cost.

Comment

Is this a wet vent system (fixtures on 2nd floor using this stack pipe)? If so going PVC will make noise more noticeable in the main floor living spaces than C I when the 2nd floor fixtures are used.

Comment

Originally posted by sewermonster85 View Post
                Or use cast iron for the repairs...but it's going to be a p.i.t.a...lol
                That's for sure. That's why I don't want to even think about doing it myself. He wants to replace the pipe from the basement floor all the way up to the fixtures on the second floor. Everything above that (which is just the air vent through the roof) looks brand new.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                  Cast iron would be my pick as it's much quieter. My question is what experience does your neighbor have to make you doubt your plumber?
                  He (my neighbor) seems to know everything about everything. Him and his friend replaced his themselves. They cut it about a foot from the basement floor then reduced it from 4" to 3" with a fernco and continued up with 3" pvc. I think he saved a lot of money by doing this to buy beer. I'm going to have mine fixed by a licensed master plumber.

Comment

The truth of the matter is plastic is going to stay clean longer, not rust or corrode and allow for longer trouble free service.

the 1 drawback is the noise factor. But that can easily be softened by proper wall insulation.

if everyone of my customers had plastic, I wouldn't be so busy snaking and jetting lines.

I wouldn't be as concerned about noise as much as what I feel is a better product.

Rick..
                    phoebe it is

Comment

If you are replacing a stack with no branches, all you're talking about is 10' (+or-) of pipe. Since you'll need mission couplings at both ends regardless of the material used, the only cost difference is for the pipe. That will run less than $100 more for NHCI. Cast will last 75 years. Vertical 4" lines rarely back up. Getting insulation evenly distributed in the wall cavity could be problematic. I respectfully disagree with Rich on this one.

Comment

no hub cast iron has only been around since the late 60's and i have replaced lots of it due to splitting and pin holes. no hub is not the same as old school cast iron.

while plastic has also been around approx the same amount of time, it's only been an issue with the non virgin abs that i've had to service.

i saw a 200' plus run at a commercial parking structure run exposed with pvc. this serves commercial spaces up on the 3rd. floor of the complex. believe me they didn't do it for cost savings, between the extra hangers and permit variance cost, they couldn't have saved money in the short term, but what they are saving is future drain stoppages and rotting pin holes in the pipe 16' above the ground.

side by side, plastic is a far superior product for waste pipes when properly and skillfully installed.

Rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

I guess I'll really have to think about this one. I've always taken Plumber Rick's word as law.

Comment

• Big Jim
                            Big Jim commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Easy, LG.
                            His hat is gettin' a little tight.

• PLUMBER RICK
                            PLUMBER RICK commented
                            Editing a comment
                            so's are my pants.

honestly, i appreciate the compliments, but i'm telling it like i would do in my own situation. 1 of the reasons why i don't use plastic all the time is the fact our local codes don't always allow it. partially politics, old school mentality and fire codes.

rick.

I would also use PVC.
                          I have never replaced CI with CI, unless mandatory.
                          The reason you are replacing it would have never happened with PVC.
                          Any noise you can't mitigate is negligible compared to the other benefits of PVC.

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
                            PLUMBER RICK commented
                            Editing a comment
                            big jim isn't just jim, for a reason. he speaks the plumbing gospel too.

rick.
                            Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 06-14-2014, 05:08 PM.

The Plumber that gave me the first quote won't do pvc only cast iron. Wonder why? Anyway I found another Plumber by word of mouth that's going to look at it probably on Thursday to give me a quote. He's doing a backflow valve a few doors down for the Doctor. We'll see what he says. Thanks Guys, and Happy Fathers Day!

Comment

Working...
                          X