No announcement yet.

Cast iron vs Pvc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is it possible that he knows you will laugh at his price since pvc is easily purchased everywhere and no hub is not. the truth is that pvc is non forgiving and once it's glued, there is no more adjusting the fittings. with no hub it's a simple matter of loosening a band and tweaking the fitting or replacing the cut section with a different size.

unless there is a code reason why he won't do it, he's a fool. i can understand why he might not bid a pex job, but a stick of pvc doesn't require any different skill than a stick of no hub.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

If you use PVC, be sure to properly support the iron above.
      BTW, Rich. Has any of the NHCI you've replaced been on vertical drops or just horizontal lines?

Comment

Mostly horizontal. With the majority of splits on area and roof drains. But overall I see minimal calls on plastic. Drains stay cleaner and waste travels much further with low flow toilets. Almost 20 years of sewer video inspections, tells me what's best.

properly installed plastic easily outperforms properly installed cast iron. Other than a noise factor that can be controlled, and fire codes, plastic is a far superior product.

Rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          Mostly horizontal. With the majority of splits on area and roof drains. But overall I see minimal calls on plastic. Drains stay cleaner and waste travels much further with low flow toilets. Almost 20 years of sewer video inspections, tells me what's best.

properly installed plastic easily outperforms properly installed cast iron. Other than a noise factor that can be controlled, and fire codes, plastic is a far superior product.

Rick.
          Huh?
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
            PLUMBER RICK commented
            Editing a comment
            Ben, I said waste. Solids slow down in cast as its got scale and rusty growth as it ages.

Plastic is slick and the waste travels much further as the coefficient of friction is much less.

Now the best piping that I run across every now and then is hdpe, trenchless pipe bursting pipe. That stuff i s so slick with long sweep offsets that its the easiest pipe to push all 200' of camera rod with.

Rick.

• gear junkie
            gear junkie commented
            Editing a comment
            I understand now but there was some confusion how you worded that.

And don't forget to replace any floor braces that might be taken out !
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

And hope you got some friction clamps etc up on the upper floor...that's going to be fun..I've heard horror stories of people snapping cast iron and didn't place a friction clamp near the hub on the upper level...cause it can fall....

Comment

It's a vertical stack. The coefficient of friction don't mean squat. It's already CI and probably not no hub either so why would anyone replace a section of the stack with PVC? It may be cheaper but now you have to make sure that the cast above is securely hung.
              sigpic

Comment

the cast iron has to and better be properly supported. a $3.00 riser clamp assures it doesn't drop. the stack should be supported every floor or 10' anyways. eventually the waste pipe will have to be replaced for the balance of the house. why not replace the stack with plastic. the rest of the pipes will eventually be plastic too.

today i had a 7 year old 200 unit apartment building that has 2- 10' sections of both 3'' and 4'' no hub split at the top for the majority of the section. now this was an area drain line but it's the same material as the rest of the dwv system.

Rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Well thats what you get with this crap coming in from China. I always make sure my CI is American made and generally I buy it from Charlotte when possible. That said, just after WWII there were whole batches of bad CI (American made) that flooded the supply houses. I have never liked the practice of replacing just a section of cast with PVC though, whether its a stack section or a horizontal. Just one of my hang-ups I guess but it always looks unprofessional to me. We still do a lot of no hub both commercial and residential. A lot of rich folks like the quietness of the system.
                  sigpic

Comment

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that we had the work done. The plumber used all pvc and it works great. He ended up replacing all the drain pipes on the first floor,main stack up to the second floor,water closet drain pipe and flange. He was a friend of my neighbor next door who is a carpenter who came by on 5 minutes notice to replace a section of the floor under the water closet that was rotted away. I ended up working almost as hard (actually not hardly)toting out all the old pipes and hauling it away to the dumpster. He stopped by today (Sunday) to make sure we are happy and satisfied with what was done. Not that common in this day and age. I'm glad I didn't go with the Plumber that would only do the cast iron. Thanks to Plumber Rick.

Comment

Should have put in clay.

Comment

• Cleanmen2
                        Cleanmen2 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        that's harsh Bob..............!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        Do they still make clay????????????????
                        Like you guys we too are suffering the China Syndrome. Growing up I thought this was the movie with the delicious Jane Fonda but nowadays it actually refers to what they are doing to us, drilling a hole right through us with their inferior rubbish that is "cheap cheap cheap".........!!!

Not sure what thicknesses (Standard & Heavy Duty grades) you guys use in the States, but when we typically replace in PVC over here with most plumbers using the Standard grade, I prefer & only use our Heavy Wall PVC in all my work - it's not a quite as cast, but definitely quieter than Standard grade PVC.

Comment

Down here we struggle to get CI. Pretty expensive but still has its place. Reading between the lines Rick was right again. Unless the fire code required it I would have gone with PVC. Lighter, easier and cheaper too. Spend your savings on some beer................!!!!
                        As far as grades of PVC, well I always said our Pacific Cousins were a little strange..............heheeheheheeheheheeheehe. or should I have said baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.......

Comment

Working...
                        X