1 1/2" copper

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 1/2" copper

What is better for 1 1/2" copper fittings, braze or sweating?

ProPress

Comment

Is this a reliable thing as replace damaged soldered fittings with this stuff?

Comment

arizona beat me to the punch.

but unless the joint is going under the slab, or is for medical gas a soft soldered joint is fine. it also doesn't anneal the fitting either.

Rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Doing only few repairs in boilers room and some apartments. Will be too expensive the equipment and the fittings for those few jobs?

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
            PLUMBER RICK commented
            Editing a comment
            yes, but the smile you will get out of the machine and ease of use will bring you out of retirement.

Rick.

What about this size (as I stated before I am new to commercial) what method is good to join/repair?

Comment

Propress up to 4" .

roll grove anything larger than 4".

ive groved 5 and 6" in place. Works good but you need the space to spin the roll grover. It takes longer and does require proper adjustments. 1 advantage is the pipe and fittings can be disassembled like no hub.

Rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Just solder the damn thing unless you want to spend upwards of 4 grand on tools you may use twice a year.
              sigpic

Comment

• ArizonaPlumber
                ArizonaPlumber commented
                Editing a comment
                BS. Borrow the tool and be done with it. The master has one he doesn't use. Borrow his.

• NHMaster3015
                NHMaster3015 commented
                Editing a comment
                I would happily lend it too him but its gonna be one helluva drive

~~What a luck! Talking about future repairs and I found a small drip on a 4” copper pipe leaking at the elbow. It is very complicated because it involves a lot of work because the system has not isolation valves, so can I use something called Roll Grove in this joint –pipe to elbow? Or is there another alternative besides that? If this joint need to be taking apart to solder, can I go soldering using Mapp or Brazing. Being new in this commercial thing I need help and thanks for everyone

Comment

i doubt you will unsolder a 4'' elbow without actually cutting it in 1/2 and then trying to unsolder it. there should be trapped water and there's probably no play in the line to spread it. plus mapp gas is not going to cut it unless you have a hell of a torch tip.

roll grooving will work if there is enough clearance around the line to spin the tool, but you will still need to cut back the copper and or un-sweet the fitting.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Well, they don't want to spend money and I have to repair it with things I have. I will cut the the pipe on two sides and install new 90, coupling and 2 pieces of pipe (L) I only have Mapp, flux and the solder. Can I do this job with those or I will need brazing and the equipment for. Any help is appreciated

Comment

all gases get hot enough to melt solder. the issue is the size of your torch tip and i doubt a 16oz. bottle of mapp gas will have a large enough tip to properly solder 4'' copper. i've done 2'' plenty of times with a mapp turbo torch, but 4'' is 4x the mass of 2''.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick, what equipment should I buy for this job? I am going to buy for myself, but the less expensive. What tip? What size of bottle?

Comment

Tow, two torches instead of one.
                        sigpic

Comment

THANKS!

Comment

Working...
                          X