No announcement yet.

1 1/2" copper

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK so I will be the one who pipes in and says the obvious. Why not call one of the brothers here and get them to work with you on this little one. Maybe you can get your CPD ticket signed as well. They will have the expensive gear and I am sure that a good negotiation will ensure all parties are happy. You don't want to be caught with your pants down in a boiler room with no heating or hot water. Also the cost is what it is. Cant get a silk purse out of a sows ear. Then again there might be an Engineer close by with all of the gear that will sub for the Pro to prove that Engineers are superior to us all. Really there is absolutely no shame in caution.

Just my little humble opinion from way downunder..................!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• toolaholic
      toolaholic commented
      Editing a comment
      Excellent Wisdom !

• toolaholic
      toolaholic commented
      Editing a comment
      You're " Down Under " Who's " Up Over " ?

You are right! But I am only a maintenance man, they hire me because I have out the state residential plumbing license (only did residential service work), they know that, but they want me to give a shot, something that I don't agreed because of the problem you mentioned above and to shut the system out will need to isolate with 7 monster valves and I really have a bad feeling about, but I really need the job, I am 70 years old and it is difficult to find job at this age, and I don't know anyone here (new in town) and I don't think they will allow anybody.

Comment

• ArizonaPlumber
      ArizonaPlumber commented
      Editing a comment
      I wish I were close enough to come over and give you a hand. Us geezers have to stick together.
      I think if the owners/managers want you to get the repairs done, they are going to have to bite the bullet and provide you with the necessary tools, and materials. Meaning ProPress/Roll-Groover for the 2" and larger.

Worse case have a shop vac handy and a couple of ball valves handy .....1 1/2" copper isnt that hard to sweat .An ajustable torch should be fine...Also They make an expandable tool that u can use if the water keeps dripping. .just to give u enogh time to sweat on a valve .Wich should run maybe 100$ or so or maybe you can find a rental place that can rent it to you ...can't see it costing that much.

Comment

Thanks sewermonster85, but the problem is not the 1 1/2" but the 4". I am attaching photos. It is leaking a the 90. If I am forced to do that, I think I can disconnect the clamp (roll-Grover?)at the right and cut the pipe at the left and solder new nipples, new 90, including a nipple on the side of the clamp so I can put it back. My really question is: would I be able to do with solder using two Mapp torches as NHMaster3015 advised? Thanks ArizonaPlumber for your comment

Comment

• ArizonaPlumber
        ArizonaPlumber commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd try and get in touch with a Victaulic Rep in the area for a demo. Buy a Vic 90 and get him to show you how to do it. Let him know that you going to have more repairs to do in the future on the 4". You're going to need a vise as well. BTW, with prep time that's a 15 minute job for ProPress!
        Last edited by ArizonaPlumber; 06-19-2014, 10:49 PM. Reason: After thought.

• sewermonster85
        sewermonster85 commented
        Editing a comment
        My mistake buddy...4".is a little over my head. .lol

• PLUMBER RICK
        PLUMBER RICK commented
        Editing a comment
        yes, 4'' is a simple no brainer job for propress. simple measurements, a reamer, and some sand cloth and sharpie marker.

victaulic takes more time and more precision adjustments. plus more room to spin the roll groover.

soldering is fine for a new clean install, but wet dirty pipes and small torches will be a long hot wet day.

rent the propress and jaws/ rings. buy the few fittings and smile all the way to the bank 15 minutes later.

Rick.

Don't know where you are in Washington, but Ferguson has shops that can take all the stress out of this little project. You'll have to buy a min., of 10' of pipe, 1 elbow, and 2 couplings. Rent the machine and you're done.

http://www.ferguson.com/locations/find.html?state=WA

Comment

Thanks everyone, I went to Ferguson for an estimate of buying or rent and some fittings (no including the pipe) so here is, I afraid the boss is going to have a heart attack. Is this accurate? I am calling today for clarification.

Comment

• Cleanmen2
          Cleanmen2 commented
          Editing a comment
          And I thought Tradelink(that is our exclusive VIEGA supplier downunder) was a criminal. Maybe our brother Rick has a machine he is happy to part with for a fraction of this cost. Could also be that someone pushed the wrong button when they ran this quote too........!!!!

After using the pro-press I reckon you would be mad to do anything other than. Best option for the safest result. Also you don't want to give yourself a hearter if it all goes to custard.

Im not sure wtf furgesons is writing up, but the couple of fittings are listed and the daily rate for the crimper and larger xlc jaws are $50.00 each. The rest of the invoice is garbage. Unless its a deposit fee, im not sure.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Helluva deal, look at the time you save though lol
          sigpic

Comment

Rick,
            He had them quote a tool and xl ring set as well as the fittings.

lpd
            Again, its a simple job for both you and the ProPress.
            10' pipe - 2- couplings - 1- elbow - Est. $500 Materials
            Tool Rental - $100
            Total $600.
            Plus 1/2 hour of your time.

Seriously, in your situation, as I understand it, this is the only way for you to go.
            Trying to solder this job back together with a couple of Mapp gas torches is going to be
            one big headache for you and the building owner.

If you'd like, PM me your phone number, and I'll walk you and the owner through this.

Comment

The only way to go? Gee wiz, I suppose twenty years ago we'd have thrown up our arms and walked away.
              sigpic

Comment

• ArizonaPlumber
                ArizonaPlumber commented
                Editing a comment
                NH
                In as much as you keep bringing up "walking away", is that something you do or have done? Just asking. In 45 years of working in this trade, we've never not finished a job. It's not even in my mind set. Could it be a NH thing?

We were told that lpd, is a one man show at his "hard to come by" job, and he's apprehensive about the larger size pipe. Plus the owner wants him to accomplish the work with the tools he has on hand. Also mentioned, that although he's a retired licensed plumber, his background, probably like yours, small town residential work.

Based on the size of the piping involved, I think a lot more is at stake than a single homeowner being without water a period of time. Just guessing, but I'd bet 40 to 80 medium rise apartments. While there are some owners who could care less on how long it takes to get the water back on, and we have our share of them in Phoenix, the majority want it fixed asap.

As discussed, there a three approved ways to fix his project.

My question to all, is why would anyone in their right mind turn a 30 minute ProPress job into an all day project?

• NHMaster3015
                NHMaster3015 commented
                Editing a comment
                Well, I ain't small town for one. We do more commercial than residential by far. For two, the amount of time spent just talking about the whole thing he could have had it done. You guys talk like propress is the 2nd coming of Jesus himself and lord knows how we ever got along without it but I've been around 40 years now and I know exactly what we did without it and believe me, I can have that problem fixed with a torch in about an hour and so can he.

Master twenty years ago we didn't have maggots disguised as Solicitors, sorry wrong way around. I still find it hard to describe Solicitors without insulting other creatures on this earth. Twenty years ago we could shut it down for a few days if needed and the people would be sympathetic. Now they are all too self interested and self important that there is no consideration or other. My training started over thirty years ago like many others here but we still need to move with the times. Just thinking and not meaning to be insulting especially to a senior but less stress and less opportunity to give the Legal Profession another chance to ream our profession and bring it down below their level. We still have respect and, speaking for here, they love getting opportunities to rubbish us. Go the Pro-press and save yourself the pain. As Rick said, something was wrong with the quote. Obviously someone didn't listen to your request. Good luck

Comment

• NHMaster3015
                NHMaster3015 commented
                Editing a comment
                There seems to be a prevailing attitude by some here that the answer to every problem is to buy an expensive tool. While tools are indeed required, some thought should be given as to their actual value and I'm throwing the bull squat card at propress for 99% of the jobs that some feel it is essential for. You may indeed save an hour but so what? You still charge for the hour anyway and besides, nobody here is so damn busy that they are hauling their propress out 15 times a day.

2nd coming of Jesus himself......hahahaha roflmao
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Wow, you guys are easy marks. This stiff knows nothing, and his occupation claims he's a retired plumber.
                Right.
                "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Did I say small town? I guess I did.

Population of the entire State of New Hampshire: 1.321 million (2012)
                  Big fish?
                  little pond

Population of just Maricopa County, Az: 3.942 million (2012)
                  Population of LA County, Ca.: 10 million people

Just saying!!!

PS. I am anxiously awaiting the Second Coming, because I've been told and believe, that in his father's house there are many mansions, and he went there to prepare a place just for me. My money is on "HIM" using PROPRESS!!!!!! If not why would he have given it to us!

Comment

• NHMaster3015
                    NHMaster3015 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yea but 3/4's of your population is illegal aliens LOL

Only because there are only 3 Home Depots in the entire state if NH and no Filiberto's. Btw, according to what I've heard, Homeland has a whole new crop of "immigrants" searching out "amnesty" states, and NH is at the top of the list. A word to the wise, find a Sheriff Joe clone, and hire him.

Comment

Working...
                  X