Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L or M copper pipe

What is recommended for boilers-tanks in high-rise piping .... L or M

type K if you can afford it. but typically type L is what's used.

not because that type M can't handle the pressure or the heat, it's the constant circulating that's the wear and tear factor.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick! Professional answers as always

Comment

M is used for heating here. L is typically only used on Domestic water lines.

I bet there is a supply house near you that rents the machine and sells the fittings. Typically about $25/day for the machine

Comment

• ArizonaPlumber
          ArizonaPlumber commented
          Editing a comment
          Depending on how many fittings you are buying, especially for boilers and tanks, they would probably "Loan" it, at no charge.

I would think L grade copper is the minimum in a commercial hi rise building.

David

Comment

My boss always wanted me to use M pipe for my boiler work. I always used L and he would get mad at me. I said in 20 years have we ever had a problem with the pipes we put in. He said mo, I said thats why I use L pipe. The only time I used M pipe is for base board heat.
          Then wen we went with pro press I used L pipe for every thing.
          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

• NHMaster3015
            NHMaster3015 commented
            Editing a comment
            You have seen how thin copper fin tube copper is and it holds up just fine. We have been using M copper for heat for decades now and I can't recall ever seeing pipe failure in a hydronic system using M copper. For a few years NH amended the code to require L copper for domestic water supply but have since backed off that and gone to either M, L or K copper. I see a lot of the problem being bad water conditions but rather than fix the water problem, too many plumbers would rather tear it all out and put plastic crap in instead. I do not understand why so many plumbers shy away from water treatment and filtration. It is a natural extension of the trade and properly installed it will eliminate copper erosion problems as well as greatly extend the life of faucets and fixtures.

I didn't know you were in Bridgton. You are only about 45 minutes away from me. Do you fish the Songo river?

Closing in on 30 years plumbing never put in a piece of M copper took out and fixed a lot though, dam bid copper and go cheep plumbers

Comment

The one thing you all have in common is that you are PLUMBING contractors. Plumbers tend to use L (myself included). The heating guys use M and only M in this area. However, M copper is allowed on domestic water in the City of Chicago and you better believe that it gets used in a LOT of commercial settings. The difference between L and M copper when bidding a job with 1000's of feet of pipe is the difference between getting the job and NOT getting the job. Cost is King...... That said, I use L for all domestic and M for most heating. I propress just about everying. Too much flux is usually what leads to leaks on M in my experience

Comment

• sewermonster85
              sewermonster85 commented
              Editing a comment
              M is ok to use on domestic water lines in chicago? Just curious because a costumer of mine recently bought a house on the north side and he has to rip out the whole domestic water due to it being in m pipe.

• sewermonster85
              sewermonster85 commented
              Editing a comment
              But i must note that the plumbing inspector was a (Richard) can't say what I want to say...gotta keep the forum clean here. Lol.but he had a couple code violations very minor at that...no vacuum breakers on the silcocks.Gate valves on the main shut off and at the water heater.It was a foreclosure owned by the bank ..There was no permit on file and in order to get his occupancy he has to put l copper in ..The main is k with a flare
              Last edited by sewermonster85; 06-17-2014, 08:47 AM.

• Swade Plumbing
              Swade Plumbing commented
              Editing a comment
              M copper has always been ok for domestic water in Chicago. Table 18-29-605.5. type K, L or M allowed with proper ASTM rating. Granted this is from my 2003 book (page 187) unless they changed that recently. New IL state code onlineL http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/...ZZ9996aaR.html
              Does not indicate any exclusions on type M, nor does it state type L or K required above ground. Only states K or L required UNDERGROUND.

That all said, I only use L copper on domestic. But I see M copper in domestic all the time.

We don't have many boilers down here

Comment

Type M is universal down here on residential. And no residential boilers either.

Comment

Underground = K
                Domestic water = L or K
                Heat = M, L, or K if you've got money to burn.
                Drains and vents = DWV (do they still make that stuff?)

That's how I was brought up. ;-)

"It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Working...
                X