No announcement yet.

immovable oil tank plug

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to "NFPA 31 - Standard for the Installation of Oil Burning Equipment" there is no requirement on pipe type. Only size. No mention of swing joints in the vent or fill lines, only the joint in the cross over pipe.

Here's the diagram from the code book:

~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

In accordance to NFPA 31 Chapter 9 and and CSA B-139 clause 9.3, all fill and vent piping for the Roth EcoDWT plus 3 shall be wrought (black) iron or steel. The use of copper piping is not permitted. When replacing an existing tank connected to copper fill and/or vent piping, the copper piping shall also be replaced to conform to the above regulation. 3. The piping connections for the tank are designed for 2 inch NPT. It is required by Roth Industries that the vent pipe be 2 inches in diameter for its complete length to the outside termination. The 2 inch NPT piping is required to keep the tank from being over-pressurized during filling. 4. Some codes allow fill piping to be smaller than 2 inches, down to the minimum 1 ¼ inches allowed in NFPA 31 – 7.5.9 for vent pipes. Although allowed by code, piping less than 2 inches will void the warranty. 5. Do not use pipe sealants or PTFE tape on any threaded plastic connections, as these products can cause the plastic to degrade. These sealants can be used on metal to metal connections. 6. Both fill and vent pipes must be constructed with swing joints between the tank openings and the point where the piping exits the tank room wall or ceiling. When the Roth EcoDWT plus 3 is filled, its sides expand and the top correspondingly drops. Although the drop is only ¼ inch or less, if it is not compensated for a gap will form between the tank fitting, fitting gasket, and tank opening, permitting oil fumes to seep from the tank into the surrounding space. Swing joints permit the piping to move with the tank as it expands and contracts. Note: Installation should be monitored during first fill to verify leak tightness of pipe joints. Tank fittings should be checked immediately following first fill to insure piping alignment. To do this, remove the large cap nut on the tank fitting and check for gaps between the adapter fitting, gasket and tank opening. Adjust piping alignment, if necesaary, to eliminate any gaps. Re-tighten cap nuts per instructions
      Last edited by NHMaster3015; 07-05-2014, 08:43 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

This is great info guys, thanks. I'm saving all of this stuff (I don't even have a valve at position labeled "2" in the diagram. I learned a lot here).

When it's new tank time I think I will go with something like that Roth EcoDWT plus 3. Did some googling and I think I'd like something like that.
        Last edited by oldguy44; 07-05-2014, 11:29 AM.

Comment

They are expensive but very good tanks
          sigpic

Comment

Oh yea, back to the plug. If you can't budge it take a sawzall with a metal blade and cut it off flush with the top of the tank and then make a vertical cut through the threads being somewhat careful not to cut too deeply. Cut in twice about 20 degrees apart and with a cold chisel, carefully fold in and remove what is left of the plug. If it accidentally drops into the tank, don't worry about it. It will sit on the bottom and cause no harm.
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks much NH. I have a sawzall and have cut through a lot of pipe, but to do the vertical cut through the threads would I first drill a hole for the saw blade? Or just kind of cut down at an angle like you were cutting a piece of pie?

(You can see I'm not a sawzall expert- to say the least. lol)

Comment

Working...
              X