Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

are my eyes playing tricks? FRUSTRATION!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are my eyes playing tricks? FRUSTRATION!!!

well my sewage seeping problem, was fixed....or so i thought.....

over the few weeks it has been, a small puddle developed at the base of the stack. all in all the joints appeared to be dry. after further inspection, the feed to one of my toilets, the cast iron pipe coming down into the basement is wet....it appears that it is seeping through the pipe. the entire pipe, around where it meets the toilet is wet almost as if it were a "sponge"

it is a cast iron pipe, original from when the house was built....back in the 40's

i am going to replace all of this with pvc this weekend unless i am missing an easier solution?

thanks
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

the problem is probably the toilet, it is probably set quite far off the wall, present day toilets are ~13" from the wall to center, and 16" from the sides to center. Your going to be very lucky if you can pull apart and get it back together with it sealed. If not then your patching holes in floors, replacing flooring and the toilet is suddenly such a small part of it all.

Comment

creature...i am confused.

i did end up replacing the toilet for another problem i had. brand new toilet with a brand new ring and so forth. i am not seeing anything coming down the vertical pipe heading to the toilet. that pipe comes down and feeds into a 90 which feeds into the main soil stack. this 90 is where the problem appears to be. the previous owner had some work done here at some point as the floor from the basement has stains on it. the 90 is what appears to be seeping through, nothing seems to be coming down through the floor and on the outside of the vertical pipe. i hope this makes sense to you?

thanks

ed

Comment

if I'm to understand that there are no toilets from that 90 on up then your in good shape. just support the pipe as you remove it. It has been known to drop righout out of the roof.

Comment

ok. let me see if i can explain this better. i am terrible at this. i have a two story home. both bathrooms are right about above one another in the floor plan. i have one cast iron pipe that appears to run from the upstairs all the way down in a straight shot into the basement floor. there is a "t" right below the floor. the top feeds the upstairs bathroom...and i assume it doubles as the vent. the bottom of the "t" runs right into the floor obviously to the sewer pipe? there is a straight pipe coming out of the horizontal side of the "t" which mates with a 90 going up to the first floor toilet. this 90 is what appears to be seeping from the inside out. the vertical pipe up to both toilets are dry. my plan if necessary was to cut out the "t" and replace it with pvc to include a pvc pipe and new flange for the first floor bathroom. i know how to pack and seal the joints so that is not a problem. my only concern is how to support the vertical pipe going to the upstairs. i dont see a need to do so as it is attached to the upstairs toilet? if i do have to support it, my thought was to start the cut and then slip a piece of band into the cut, screwing the band to the floor until the cut is finished and the new pipe is in place? i am confident i can do this job, my question is, am i seeing things? is the pipe really seeping from the inside out or am i missing something simple? and also, do i need to support the main vertical pipe and if so is what i have in mind the right way to do it.

thanks so much for the insight and i hope my description helps. i value the tips and knowledge gained here, which is why it bothers me when i can not describe things clearly.

thanks all

ed

Comment

then I had it right first time around.
            yea, the pipe is probably rotten, it's probably seeping as you see it. On paper what your saying works. support the pipe by some steel strapping tightly wrapped above your cut. As you mentioned before, the toilet upstairs has been replaced it's probably kinda far off the wall. You see, toilets that were installed back in the 40's were designed differently, they were done so the hole cut in the floor was cut off the wall at 16" if I remember right, today they are 13. My concern was that you were going to try to remove and reinstall a 60 year old toilet, that's not an easy trick.

Comment

ahh yes...now i understand. thanks so much for the advice, help and patience

ed

Comment

Working...
              X