WA test

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WA test

Gosh! I flunk WA residential test for 2 points on water piping systems. Need some help here as I need to retake the test. I was having problems in calculating the total fixtures units to match the 4 answers in the test. I had the table 610.3 with me and I added the correct numbers, including the first hose bibb as 2.5 and the extra hose bibbs as 1, etc., (no problems here) but, I think the problem was related to the sprinkler heads calculation. There are, in one pipe section 20 sprinkler heads and in another pipe section 12 sprinkler heads, so I calculated them as 1wsfu per head or 32wsfu. But, my total wsfu didn’t match the 4 answers in the test and I think the problem was related to the sprinkler heads. Any hint appreciate.

Probably the sprinkler system is on more than 1 zone. I would count the largest zone and use that as my answer. Normally only 1 zone will operate at a time. Was 20 an answer?

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

The answers were: A) 77 fu B) 86 fu C) 116 fu D) I don't remember ... So, no one of my counting come close to any of those values and I know for sure and past experience that I have the values for the toilets, lavatories, bidets, showers, etc., right, but the only one that I have the doubt was for the sprinkler heads ... In the table 610.3 there is a reference (5) to the Lawn Sprinkler, each head that read: "For fixtures or supply connections likely to impose continuous flow demands, determine the required flow in gallons per minute (gpm) (L/s) and add it separately to the demand in gpm (L/s) for the distribution system or portion thereof. But I don't think this paragraph has anyting to do with the test. I complained to L & I and I am waiting for an answer. Last week I found errors in UPC 2012, this is the email I sent:

Drawing #4: pipe section 19 should be pipe size 1-1/2 (code book 2012)

Drawing #3: according to CITC they have section 21 as 40 gpm and pipe size 2". Section 22 as 20 gpm and pipe 2" and section 23 as 40 gpm and pipe 2".

But you (code book 2012) have in the same drawing #3, sections 21, 22 and 23 as 20 gpm and pipe size 3"

Who is right?

And last year I found some errata as well, so maybe there are some mistakes on the tests ... who knows!

Comment

Maybe, as in the case of hose bibs, the first Bibb is value at 2.5 fu and the extras at 1fu, but there is a reference note, but nothing on the sprinkler heads

Comment

Please, I really need some help here, I am not a native and sometimes it is hard to interpret son idiomatic, here is: on table A 2.1 for the water supply fixture ..... On the law sprinkler head, the note 5 read: "For fixtures or supply connections likely to impose continuous flow demand, determine the required flow in gallons per minute and add it separately to the demand in gpm for the distribution system or portion thereof" So, I have 20 heads in one section and 12 heads in another section, each head value at Table A 2-1 is 1fu, then how is the calculation done? Do I double the unit to 2 or I add 2 to the 1fu for a 3fu calculation? I cannot interpret this section. Please, any help appreciate

Comment

Sorry way too complicated for me. Maybe when I get a little more experience in the trade.

Comment

Don't say that, you are one of the mentors here.

Comment

Can you give us the question exactly as it was asked as well as the multiple choice answers?

Comment

Thank Plumbus! Let me to elaborate, it is a little longer. The test is divided in 3 sections as: 1) 2012 (same as 2008) UPC Code questions with 2012 WA State Amendments. 2) A waste and vent size drawing based on sizing and design methods from charter 7. 3) A water pipe sizing drawing based on sizing and design methods from charter 6 and here is my problem.
                  They provided a drawing for the water piping systems and the given: Developed length, pressure at meter, elevation, type of fixture, etc., I don’t have problem with this, I made all calculation correct according to all Drawings provide as samples from either2006, 2009 or 2012 codes. But neither of those codes included “Lawn Sprinkler head” on their drawing, so been non-native I have hard time understanding the verbiage. So, I added all values of the fixture units and come with the right number, but adding the lawn sprinkler heads didn’t match the total fixtures in their answers. Say that the total of the fixtures as toilets, lavatories, showers, etc., coming to 35 FU, but adding the 20 heads in one section and 12 heads in another section for a total of 32 FU (1 FU for each lawn sprinkler head) total 67 FU. But, this figure didn't match any of the 4 answers giving. Then, reading the small notice (5) on the Lawn Sprinkler head on table 610.3 that reads "For fixtures or supply connections likely to impose continuous flow demands, determine the required flow in gallons per minute (gpm) (L/s) and add it separately to the demand in gpm (L/s) for the distribution system or portion thereof, and from Appendix A = A2.2: Continuous Supply Demand. Estimate continuous supply demand in gallons per minute for lawn sprinklers, air conditioners, etc., and add the sum to the total demand for fixtures. The result is the estimated supply demand of the building supply. And an explanation note that read: The continuous demand load, i.e., lawn sprinklers, water towers, water-cooled equipment, etc., shall be estimated in gallons per minute and added to the fixture demand load previously determined. This gives the total demand load on the building supply.
                  Based in a comment (don’t remember where/who) it should double the FU for head to 2FU, well I added then 64 FU to 35 FU (the others fixture units) for a total of 95 FU and it didn’t match either.
                  SO, I AM LOST! I don’t know where to look for the answer. I had my exam for the test on the 90s and this wasn’t there, and been on residential service only all those years I never got involved with sprinklers systems, besides repairing/replacing broken parts. But now that I am moving to WA and been pre-approved for the license here I am frustrated that I failed this part 3 TIMES! Each exam cost $160.00. On the first exam I passed this section with 78 of 70, but there was not the sprinklers part, but I failed other section, so I retake it again (68 of 70) and again (64 of 70) and I failed twice because of the sprinklers. Please what is the number I should take for those heads? My next exam is in less that two weeks. What a complicate life!

Comment

Q: How do you size a water service to a structure that has a lawn irrigation system?
                    A: System should be sized using the largest zone as per GPM. (Tri-County Plumbing Code Forum, July 25, 2002

Did you convert the GPM to FU?

Comment

I don't get it

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Plumbing.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	349.2 KB
ID:	18922 I feel so stupid, I had a mental black-out . The total sprinklers heads was 42 and I was keeping adding 32, I added 30+12= 32 and the total was 42! So, I finally passed the exam and to punish myself I am giving away the 2009 books for whoever need them, but the taker has to pay the shipping (is the taker is a student or low income and has no funds I will take care of the shipping) . Here we are in 2012 UPC, also I can give the 2012 Study Guide. Oh, I am drinking my Coronas to celebrate and I am planning to be very drunk! Thanks to all my mentors here

Comment

Sorry, the code books are 2009

Comment

Working...
                          X