Unable to remove shower strainer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to remove shower strainer

Hello I am having trouble figuring out how to remove the strainer for my shower. As you can see in the picture there is no visible screws to remove the strainer. I started to use a screwdriver through the center slot in the strainer to see if it would turn and all it did was start to deform the metal so I stopped. I tried using a needle nose pliers on opposite ends of the strainer to turn it counter-clockwise and it barely moved, and the outside ring moved with it. Do I need to pry the outside ring going around it first with a screwdriver (or is that supposed to be sealed)? Also don't know if this makes a difference but this is a manufactured home. Appreciate any feedback.

I believe the stainer/slotted portion is a push-in and will come out.

Comment

No this one definitely does not push in. Throughout my quest to figure this out, I saw in another forum where someone indicated that the only way to get access to it was from below the floor, which for me is a crawlspace. Could that be true?

Comment

I have noticed some of the most Amazing things in manufactured homes.

Comment

Your drain looks similar to this:

I don't see how the strainer can be removed from below, unless you remove the entire assembly.
          I'd take out the strainer/slotted portion by any means necessary and replace it with one to cover the drain.

Comment

I run into this problem all the time in my town. Take a small flathead screwdriver, put it where I drew the arrow in the picture, and pry on it gently and that cover will pop right up.

Comment

Thanks Nevada I will give this a try in the morning and let you know if it worked. Looks like I need to find a thinner screwdriver first

Comment

Here you go:

http://www.amazon.com/True-Temper-11.../dp/B00004S1WX

David

Comment

• ArizonaPlumber
                  ArizonaPlumber commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That should do nicely. I'd hold it centered about 3 foot above the drain. The let it go. The outer edges of the strainer will buckle allowing for easy removal. The pencil point will continue to the trap, providing an opening in the bottom for easy access for when it needs a snaking out.

That's a little extreme for his problem. I used one of those to lift my concrete sidewalk up when it started to sink on one side.

Comment

Originally posted by mbhydro View Post
                  That's a little extreme for his problem. I used one of those to lift my concrete sidewalk up when it started to sink on one side.

It was intended to be funny but Arizona Plumber isn't wrong about collapsing the grid.

Comment

Don't go for significant construction,repair this faulty gasket without removing the shower pain.

Comment

Working...
                    X