Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Besides the high profile people were always more fun to work for. They'd tell you what that had a vision of and you make it happen but better. Of course all of it was T&M so we had all the freedom we wanted to do the unusual.

All of the new construction we did after the early 80s was large customs with an occasional tilt up.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow:
      Besides the high profile people were always more fun to work for. They'd tell you what that had a vision of and you make it happen but better. Of course all of it was T&M so we had all the freedom we wanted to do the unusual.

All of the new construction we did after the early 80s was large customs with an occasional tilt up.

Mark
      One of my favorite jobs goes back aways. I was jamming with Hendrix when the Beatles called. Seems they were giving a perfomance at Buckingham Palace but the water closets were plugged. The queen agreed to send her personal jet to pick me up. Much to Jimi's disappointment, I had to take that call. On the way the Prince of Barain called.

What to do? I managed to hit Buckingham Palace, and fly to the middle east in one night. It was memorable for all.

Look, I've worked on a number of high profile projects, but it means no more to me than working on my best friend's closet. When someone pulls their pants down to s**t, it all goes down the same pipe.

If you and Rick are looking to impress, ok, I'll play along.

You guys are the best. It is an honor for you to be on this forum.

Now, can you please give it a rest?

the dog
      the dog

Comment

plumbdog10,

Again you are taking life and yourself way too serious. We are talking about jobs we've done. If I was trying to impress you Cher is hardly impressive. Cher was probably one of the most down to earth customers I ever worked for.

Now if you want to know about riding with a certain basketball star who bailed on LA let me know. Then I wouldn't be talking plumbing. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Mark

Comment

plumbdog10,

Again you are taking life and yourself way too serious. We are talking about jobs we've done. If I was trying to impress you Cher is hardly impressive. Cher was probably one of the most down to earth customers I ever worked for.

Now if you want to know about riding with a certain basketball star who bailed on LA let me know. Then I wouldn't be talking plumbing. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Mark
          If you didn't think Cher was important (which, by the I don't) why make it a point to bring it up.

Look, call me an ***, but I offered this thread, because I thought we could all relate to it. You and Rick immediatly turned it into a "top the other guy " competion. I'd like to see other plumbers and fitters involved in this forum, because it could be a valuable resource for all of us. I think you and Rick add alot to this forum, but I also think you intimidate plumbers who may have important information.

I've been accused of being judgemental, but I did't start a forum about underquilified contractors and inspectors.

I would like to see this site become a resource for real plumbing information.

I think everyone agrees that you know what you're doing, you don't need to pound it on everyone's head.

the dog
          the dog

Comment

There was a Jr. College remodel job a few years ago where a three inch copper riser and battery system held 100PSI test pressure for nearly three months. It held approx. 60 PSI water for two weeks, then failed in a plumbing wall between two restrooms. There have been other instances where a coupling on a long run was missed but held through an air test and other similar occurances but nothing as long as that three inch system.

Luckily, the fitting was able to be accessd by removing one of the recessed sanitary disposers on one side, and a paper towel dispenser on the other. Using a wet vac to vacate the lines and remove the fitting a repair was made without any real demolition to the new work. I personally beat the fitting flat and removed the pipe from the offending fitting and could not see any reason for the failure. The gauge had been used many times since and proved accurate. It was one of those shrug your shoulders and say "Oh well" moments.

A missed fitting isn't a leak, its work yet to be completed. Have never met a plumber or fitter yet who has never made a mistake or missed a fitting.

I thought i was wrong once, but I was mistaken.
            Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Plumbdog10,

I think I might understand why you don’t appreciate who owned the home and why it made a difference. The fact that it was Cher’s home meant any repair could do a lot of damage.

Had this been a standard home with a leak in the kitchen ceiling I would have figured at $4 for a sheet for drywall I’ll just cut out the ceiling and find the leak.

Cher’s kitchen took almost a month to paint at a cost of over $30,000. Making a decision to cut into Cher’s ceiling was quite different than cutting into a standard ceiling.

When you have to cut into an expensive finish you tend to take extra steps to avoid making a mistake. Cutting into that kitchen ceiling was a tough decision. However I had already eliminated all other sources for a drip and although it made no sense to me at the time I knew I had to open it.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by plumber:
                There was a Jr. College remodel job a few years ago where a three inch copper riser and battery system held 100PSI test pressure for nearly three months. It held approx. 60 PSI water for two weeks, then failed in a plumbing wall between two restrooms. There have been other instances where a coupling on a long run was missed but held through an air test and other similar occurances but nothing as long as that three inch system.

Luckily, the fitting was able to be accessd by removing one of the recessed sanitary disposers on one side, and a paper towel dispenser on the other. Using a wet vac to vacate the lines and remove the fitting a repair was made without any real demolition to the new work. I personally beat the fitting flat and removed the pipe from the offending fitting and could not see any reason for the failure. The gauge had been used many times since and proved accurate. It was one of those shrug your shoulders and say "Oh well" moments.

A missed fitting isn't a leak, its work yet to be completed. Have never met a plumber or fitter yet who has never made a mistake or missed a fitting.

Wow repairing a three inch riser in the wall had to be fun. Like I said earlier missing a fitting is just one of those things that happen. Of course it's still a little embarassing when it happens to you.

Mark

Comment

Plumber,

I think I mentioned that I had seen unsoldered copper fittings hold, but not 3". That is amazing, and certainly belongs in the Plumbing X-Files. When you saw that did you get that chill. Man, that could have let loose at any time.

Another one I hade recently was this. One of the closets in a tilt-up building project I ran last year developed a drip on an angle stop. I tried to tighten it to no avail. After shutting off the water and tearing it apart I realized it had no ferrel. How did it hold for two weeks without one?

the dog

ps. Most of what I know is based on my own screw-ups. I have made every mistake you can ever make as a plumber. I nerver jump the *** of one of my crew members for honest mistakes. I still make them myself.
                  the dog

Comment

Plumbdog10,

I think I might understand why you don’t appreciate who owned the home and why it made a difference. The fact that it was Cher’s home meant any repair could do a lot of damage.

Had this been a standard home with a leak in the kitchen ceiling I would have figured at $4 for a sheet for drywall I’ll just cut out the ceiling and find the leak.

Cher’s kitchen took almost a month to paint at a cost of over $30,000. Making a decision to cut into Cher’s ceiling was quite different than cutting into a standard ceiling.

When you have to cut into an expensive finish you tend to take extra steps to avoid making a mistake. Cutting into that kitchen ceiling was a tough decision. However I had already eliminated all other sources for a drip and although it made no sense to me at the time I knew I had to open it.

Mark
                    Utah,

You are a great plumber, Cher's house is expensive, we are all proud of you. Had you not fixed that plumbing, who knows. We may never have heard "I Got You, Babe". God, our lives would never have been the same.

the dog

ps. If she spent $30,000 painting a kitchen, I'm sure she could have afforded any repair necessary.
                    the dog

Comment

No Ferrell? Wow, thats a new one. I have dropped a ferrell and missed it when trimming before but it always let me know the second the water was on.

That three inch fitting had been soldered not missed. My first thought was that a seam in the fitting might not have been cleaned properly or the back side not heated thouroughly. But when I beat it apart everything looked as though it had been properly done. Nice solder appearance all the way around the pipe and the fitting. But it was leaking like crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10:

the dog

ps. If she spent $30,000 painting a kitchen, I'm sure she could have afforded any repair necessary. [/QB]
                        Of course the kicker is, as the plumber I would have had to pay to fix the ceiling had my protector plate not been there.

Comment

Okay guys, now remember I am from the Midwest.

What the ^*%#^*((&^%&^** is a tip up or tip out?

Comment

I was doing a fire job on an upstairs apartment in a large apartment complex where all I had let was to hang the Hydronic coil in the ceiling and set one lavatory cabinet with sink. I hung the new air handler and connected the water and refrigeration lines. Once the HVAC was done I took all of heavy tools down and brought up just my finish tools.

Once I set the sink I went to install the supplies to the faucet. This building was at least 10-years old yet when I grabbed the hot stop it came off in the hand. I spent about the first 10-seconds trying to hold the water back then realized it was just too hot.

Had it been the cold water stop it would have been easy as there was a shut off down stairs. As it was the hot I would have had to get on the roof to shut down the boiler on the building. I’m embarrassed to admit but I had never even looked for the main shut off to the complex.

As I ran by my truck I grabbed a 36” pipe wrench and starting looking for an above ground service. After a few minutes I found a large vault in the sidewalk with a 6” shut off with a curb stop. I was able to turn off the water with the pipe wrench but needed a nap by the time I got the water off.

A review of the ferrell revealed it had never been compressed on to the stub out. Before I restored the water I replaced all of the stops in the apartment. They had not laid the carpet or vinyl yet so all that was damaged was drywall.

Mark

Comment

Okay guys, now remember I am from the Midwest.

What the ^*%#^*((&^%&^** is a tip up or tip out?
                              a Tilt-up is a concrete building where they pour the panels (walls) on the ground then tilt (stand) them up.

Mark

Comment

DOG, LIKE I SAID BEFORE, THIS JOB FOR THE PRINCE WAS AN EXAMPLE OF UNDERQUALIFIED PLUMBERS AND CONTRACTORS. I DON'T RECALL EVER NAMING THE PRINCE.

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU WORKED ON A HOME THAT HAD ARMED SECURITY WATCHING EVERYTHING YOU DID?
                                SOMETHING TELLS ME THAT YOU WOULDN'T WANT TO WORK IN THIS ENVIROMENT AND CHANCES ARE THEY WOULDN'T WANT YOU THERE EITHER.

MAKES NO DIFFERENCE WITH ME WHO I WORK FOR. TYPICALLY THE AVERAGE JOE PAYS THEIR BILLS FAST, AND THE CELEBERTIES HAVE TO GO THROUGH THEIR CHANNELS.

P.S. IF THIS IS OF ANY INTEREST, I DID TELL LARRY KINGS WIFE TO TAKE A HIKE 5 YEARS AGO. HOW'S THAT FOR NAME DROPPING?

HOW ABOUT THE FORMER MAYOR? MAYBE MAGIC JOHNSON.
                                PROBABLY BECAUSE THERE WAS NOTHING THAT WAS AN X FILE ISSUE.

I THINK MOST PEOPLE OR PLUMBERS WILL REMEMBER CERTAIN JOBS MORE THAN OTHERS BASED ON SHOCK VALUE. IF I HAVE THE TIME TO REVIEW YEARS OF INVOICES, I'M SURE I CAN BORE YOU WITH ALL OF THEM.

HOW ABOUT THE LADY THAT CALLED, ASKING TO ADJUST THE TOILET SEAT FOR HER HUSBAND. AFTER ASKING SOME QUESTIONS ABOUT THE ISSUE, I DISCOVERED THAT WHEN HE SITS DOWN ON THE SEAT, HIS N*@S HIT THE WATER. I ADVISED HERE TO PURCHASE A HANDICAPP SEAT.

NOW IF I PUT A NAME TO THIS PERSON, I THINK ALL EARS WOULD PERK UP. BUT I WON'T, THE DOG WOULD BE REBUTTING MY POST. I GUESS THE DOG IS LONELY.

RICK.

[ 08-12-2005, 03:17 AM: Message edited by: PLUMBER RICK ]

Comment

Working...
                                X