No announcement yet.

The Plumbing X-Files

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MARK, MY WIFE IS GOING OUT OF TOWN TOMORROW, AUGUST 15TH FOR 2 WEEKS. NOT SURE IF I'M GOING TO BE "GRUMPY", HAPPY, OR HUNGRY?

HOPE ALL IS WELL FOR YOU AND THE FAMILY.
    I'LL HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE PIPE BURSTING DEMO, MY WIFE DOESN'T LET ME PLAY WITH THIS TOY WITHOUT HER. SHE'S THE BEAUTY AND BRAINS, I'M THE BEAST. FUNNY HOW THAT WORKS. CALL IF I CAN BE OF HELP. I'LL BE BORED FOR THE NEXT 2 WEEKS. WILL WORK FOR FOOD!

RICK

Comment

Rick,

Maybe one day next week we can meet for breakfast, dinner or whatever. No hurry with the bursting machine I'm just hoping to watch next time you have one to do.

I try to do an annual hunting trip to Alaska this time of the year and this will be my forth year in a row I cant't go. Usually around now I'm weighing gear and packing for the float plane.

I am told I get grumpy until about thwe middle of September when I start planning my Utah Deer Season. The funny part is I quit even trying for tags in Utah and just go up for the social stuff. I have a friend who is an electrical contractor who calls the Utah trip Deer Camping as he is just there to visit as well.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

By the way I know how wives are. Mine ran the plumbing business for twenty + years and then retired to be a grandma.

When I first had my ladder accident my sons and son-in-laws did inspections for me and then my wife took over. She always impresses me with the things she finds but after 20-years something had to rub off on her.

Mark

Comment

Mark,

You weren't putting RPZs in underground vaults were you?
          Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

plumber,

No a Hot Box is an above ground enclosure for freeze protection. However, in Utah they just use double checks installed in vaults rather than an RPPD.

I hate backflows in vaults so I wasn't excited about it. I've rebuilt too many 6" & 8" valves in vaults full of water and spiders to design anything in a vault. Regardless of what I said they would not buy an above ground installation.

I ended up with vaults built out of cement blocks and the required Double Checks. As the water line runs on an old railroad right away on the side of a hill I fill the bottom of the vaults with gravel and ran drain lines down the hill.

I’ve never had any problems with the backflows but some of the vents are giving me problems. Because the system feeds a resort a few miles north of me the Health Department just made us ad a chlorinator.

The water source is at the top of my property which is 3/4 of a mile from power so that was tricky. I ended up with a 12 volt piston driven pump to inject the chlorine. I am working with the power company now to run a line up there. I'm just doing it a little sooner than I wanted too.

Mark

[ 08-15-2005, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: ToUtahNow ]

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow:
              plumber,

No a Hot Box is an above ground enclosure for freeze protection. However, in Utah they just use double checks installed in vaults rather than an RPPD.

I hate backflows in vaults so I wasn't excited about it. I've rebuilt too many 6" & 8" valves in vaults full of water and spiders to design anything in a vault. Regardless of what I said they would not buy an above ground installation.

I ended up with vaults built out of cement blocks and the required Double Checks. As the water line runs on an old railroad right away on the side of a hill I fill the bottom of the vaults with gravel and ran drain lines down the hill.

I’ve never had any problems with the backflows but some of the vents are giving me problems. Because the system feeds a resort a few miles north of me the Health Department just made us ad a chlorinator.

The water source is at the top of my property which is 3/4 of a mile from power so that was tricky. I ended up with a 12 volt piston driven pump to inject the chlorine. I am working with the power company now to run a line up there. I'm just doing it a little sooner than I wanted too.

Mark
              Now that you and Rick have bonded, made a date, etc. What is your x-files story?

the dog

[ 08-15-2005, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: plumbdog10 ]
              the dog

Comment

Plumbdog10,

Don’t get your panties in a bunch we were networking. That’s what you do to better your knowledge by finding someone using technology you haven’t used yet. By the way I would be happy to take you out to dinner anytime you’re available.

Here’s one for the X-Files:

I got a call from an apartment complex of just over 200 units. The complaint was low hot water pressure in two of the five buildings. This complex was built in the early 80s and they used hard copper in the slab. The five buildings surrounded a courtyard and there was one circulated hot water line to feed the entire complex from Laars boilers which were located in one of the buildings.

This building was known for slab leaks from localized velocity erosion so I sent two guys out to look for a slab leak. After two days of looking for a problem my guys gave up and could not find the problem. The building owner owns a bunch of property and had been a good customer since the early 80s. There was no way I was going to call the owner and tell him my guys couldn’t fix the problem.

On the third day I went out with my guys to try and find the problem. I brought a bunch of unions and ball valves to isolate the buildings at each end thinking I would eliminate the buildings at the end and work backwards. The low pressure was working backwards from the boiler room and affected the last two buildings on the line.

Regardless of what I did I could not find the problem for the low pressure. Finally out of desperation I opened up the pipe at one end of the boiler room. I found the water was barely coming out of the 2 ½” line. I had already traced the lines in the boiler room so I had a pretty good idea of where the pipes ran. I took a 10’ length of 1” copper and shoved it inside the 2 ½” line. I found about 5’ in I ran into an obstruction.

After a bunch of work with the length of copper and my K-50 with a new cable I was able to clean the under slab pipe out. What I removed appeared to be glass which melted in the pipe. To this day I don’t know how the glass type materials got into the pipe.

The only thing I could figure was they had one of the boilers re-tubed by Laars. I’ve always wonder if Laars had some glass lining material in the tube they did not see and it got into the line when they re-tubed the boiler. The area with the obstruction was about 5’ from the boilers and seemed to be the only area which was obstructed.

Either way, the problem has not reoccurred and the in-house guys think we’re Heros. They had worked on it for weeks before they gave it to us and could not locate a problem.

Mark

[ 08-15-2005, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: ToUtahNow ]

Comment

MARK, I DON'T KNOW WHY YOU EVEN WASTE YOUR TIME TO EXPLAIN THINGS TO THE DOG. HE WILL JUST FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO FAULT YOU OR ME AT.

I TOO ATTEMPTED TO INVITE THE DOG TO BREAKFAST BEFORE THE NEXT TRADE SHOW, BUT HE WASN'T INTERESTED IN THE FREE MEAL OR SHOW.

I WISH TOOLAHOLIC WOULD CHIME IN. HE HAS A STEAK DINNER WAITING FOR ME. COULD USE IT IN THE NEXT 2 WEEKS. I'M COOKING FOR MYSELF THESE NEXT WEEKS.

NIGHT #1
                  JOJO, IF YOU'RE READING THIS, I HAD A CHILE,SALAD, 2 FROSTIES. THEN BEAT STEVE F. IN A RACE WITH THE 3RD. FROSTIE. I KILLED HIM.

RICK.

Comment

Utah, I was joking.

the dog
                    the dog

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10:
                      Utah, I was joking.

the dog
                      LOL - If you had bothered me I would have been in all caps (sorry Rick). Remember I've already warned everyone I might get grumpy for the next week or two. I should be sighting in rifles this week not sitting in my office.

Mark

[ 08-16-2005, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: ToUtahNow ]

Comment

Utah,

I have to admit that's very strange. I'm not sure what the melting point of glass is, but you would think it would have burned through the pipe.

the dog
                        the dog

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10:
                          Utah,

I have to admit that's very strange. I'm not sure what the melting point of glass is, but you would think it would have burned through the pipe.

the dog
                          Again I'm not sure what the material was other than to me it appeared to be glass and it was definitly melted. I guess if there was water in the pipe it may have cooled before it damaged the pipe. The pieces I was able to remove did not appear they had adhered to the pipe so I doubt it did any damage to the pipes.

Mark

Comment

MARK, COLULD THE GLASS BE FROM THE GLASS LINING OF THE CAST IRON MANIFOLD OF THE HEATER? WHAT COLOR WAS IT. MAYBE A PEAK INTO THE MANIFOLD MIGHT SHED SOME LIGHT. A STICKING FLOW SWITCH CAN REALLY HEAT THINGS UP.

NOW LETS TALK RIFELS. ACTUALLY PELLET RIFLES. JUST BOUGHT A NEW WINCHESTER .177 PELLET RIFLE. IT SHOOTS A 1000 FPS. ALSO A NICE 8 POWER SCOPE. NOT BAD FOR $120. NEED TO USE A REAL BULLET TRAP. THE 3/4'' PLYWOOD AT 25 YARDS IS NOT ENOUGH.

SO NOW WE HAVE BREAKFAST AND SHOOTING.

I THINK THE DOGS EARS JUST PERKED UP. SOUNDS LIKE WE MIGHT HAVE TO WALK THE DOG. WAIT TILL DOVE SEASON. THINK THE DOG CAN SWIM AND FETCH?

RICK.

[ 08-16-2005, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: PLUMBER RICK ]

Comment

Rick,

The material was blue and green in color and I could have made a tennis ball with it size wise. I think the key is that Laars had just re-tubed the boiler and I'm sure they are related. The job was 10-years ago and has not reocurred.

Mark

BTW: I'll start an "off-topic" for off-topic stuff.

Comment

Plumber,

Your 12” RP story reminded me of a project I had planned which was suppose to have been an 8-hour day and ended up being a 26-hour day. It was a high-rise condominium project in Hollywood. The system had three 30hp. Boilers which supplied the domestic hot water, the pool heat and the heat to a hydronic system of air handlers.

The low pressure accumulator tank was a 600 gallon tank which was installed behind the three boilers and weighed around 600 pounds. The plan was to sneak the tank through a service door at the back of the boiler room.

In an effort to save money the owners decided to have the building engineers turn the boilers off during the night and drain the system. They also decided they would have the engineers order the new accumulator tank which had to be custom made.

When we arrived at the property the system was drained, the boilers were cooled and the new tank was sitting in a crate at the car wash area. We quickly removed the old tank and cleaned up our work area. When we uncrated the new tank I thought I was going to die.

The engineer had ordered a custom made 600 gallon pressure vessel. Now my 600 pound tank weighed somewhere over 3,000 pounds. The tank dimensions were correct but almost all of the twenty some tank connections were located in the wrong place or were the wrong size.

After a brief meeting with the owners I decided there was no reason to leave the building down for a couple of weeks while a new tank was being built as this tank would still work but was overkill. I called a couple additional guys down to the building and we used winches and Johnson bars to move the tank into place.

Before the supply houses closed I made a material list of all of the adapters I needed. There was some 2 ½” stuff which I could not find so I had to make some changes in some of the piping to accommodate the new 2” inlet.

As the original plan was to complete the project in 8-hours I had a horde of angry homeowners at the door of the boiler room after about 10-hours. We continued on through the night while stopping only for meals and bathroom breaks.

We completed the job at about 26-hours but were exhausted. The additional cost for the installation convinced the owners to let me provide materials and labor on all future work.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X