X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• localized low hot water pressure

my shower seems to have low hot water pressure compared to the fixtures in the rest of my house.
    i have a positemp(moen) fixture in my tub(although the hot water pressure is lower than the cold water pressure throughout the house)
    i have public water and copper pipes.
    in the sinks, when i remove the aerator, there are green crystals built up there (when i removed the cartridges to clean out the debris, i noted that the hot water side seemed to have the green cyrstals)
    how is the best way to flush out the pipes to remove any obstructions?
    what should my first step be to diagnose the problem?

PHILLIP, JUST AS YOU DID. IF THE MOEN VALVE HAS BUILT IN SHUT OFF VALVES THEN YOU CAN REMOVE THE CARTRIDGE AND TURN ON THE HOT WATER TO THOROUGHLY FLUSH OUT THE LINE. IF THE VALVE DOESN'T HAVE SHUT OFFS, THEN GET A FRIEND TO WORK THE MAIN HOUSE SHUT OFF VALVE. YOU'LL HAVE TO ATTEMPT TO DIVERT THE COLD WATER TO ALLOW THE HOT WATER TO FLOW BETTER. ALSO TRY FLUSHING OUT YOUR WATER HEATER TOO. CHECK THE TEMPERATURE TOO. IF TOO HOT IT WILL MINERALIZE WITH HARD WATER AND HIGH TEMP. ALSO THE CART. HAS A BALANCING SPOOL.MAKE SURE THE PISTON MOVES FREELY. TRY SOAKING THIS IN VINEGAR. THAT WILL HELP WITH THE MINERAL DEPOSITS. GREEN IS USUALLY FROM COPPER EROSION. MINERALS ARE TYPICALLY WHITE IN COLOR.GATEHER SOME OF THE DEPOSITS THAT YOU FLUSH OUT AND SOAK THEM IN VINEGAR TOO. IF THEY DISOLVE, THEY ARE MINERALS, AND NOT COPPER. ALSO FLUSH OUT THE COLD AT THE SAME TIME. AS LONG AS THE FLOW IS APPROX. THE SAME AND THE PISTON MOVES FREELY, YOU SHOULD BE FINE.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK:
      PHILLIP, JUST AS YOU DID. IF THE MOEN VALVE HAS BUILT IN SHUT OFF VALVES THEN YOU CAN REMOVE THE CARTRIDGE AND TURN ON THE HOT WATER TO THOROUGHLY FLUSH OUT THE LINE. IF THE VALVE DOESN'T HAVE SHUT OFFS, THEN GET A FRIEND TO WORK THE MAIN HOUSE SHUT OFF VALVE. YOU'LL HAVE TO ATTEMPT TO DIVERT THE COLD WATER TO ALLOW THE HOT WATER TO FLOW BETTER. ALSO TRY FLUSHING OUT YOUR WATER HEATER TOO. CHECK THE TEMPERATURE TOO. IF TOO HOT IT WILL MINERALIZE WITH HARD WATER AND HIGH TEMP. ALSO THE CART. HAS A BALANCING SPOOL.MAKE SURE THE PISTON MOVES FREELY. TRY SOAKING THIS IN VINEGAR. THAT WILL HELP WITH THE MINERAL DEPOSITS. GREEN IS USUALLY FROM COPPER EROSION. MINERALS ARE TYPICALLY WHITE IN COLOR.GATEHER SOME OF THE DEPOSITS THAT YOU FLUSH OUT AND SOAK THEM IN VINEGAR TOO. IF THEY DISOLVE, THEY ARE MINERALS, AND NOT COPPER. ALSO FLUSH OUT THE COLD AT THE SAME TIME. AS LONG AS THE FLOW IS APPROX. THE SAME AND THE PISTON MOVES FREELY, YOU SHOULD BE FINE.
      i had actually replaced the cartridge with a new one (yeah...that was a fun project....they aren't meant to come out so easy )
      i do have the water temperature set a bit hotter than it was from the original owner, but the problem existed before that too.
      (electric water heater, rheem, 1996)

Comment

philip2000,

It may be as easy as a corroded nipple at your water heater. Then again I've had to use a compressor in the past to blow old excess solder out of the line. You need to go through your house and eliminate one area at a time.

Also don't just use your perception to judge volume. Take a small bucket and time X-amount of seconds of cold from a fixture and put a pencil mark atb the water level. Now do the same thing on the hot side and measure the differenc. If the different is consistant throughout the house it's one of the nipples at the water heater.

If you find the difference is significant at only one fixture then spend all of your energy there and leave the rest of the hose alone.

As for the color crystals it's hard toi say without knowing your water conditions. If you are on city water call your water company and ask them what it may be. Their engineer will know before any of us would.

Good luck - Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
        X