X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weird noise

We have a home that was built many years ago and as such it still has some glavanized pipe. I have replaced a lot with copper but not all. My bathrooms set pretty much one on top of the other and their drains share the same vent. I have no copper going upstairs yet. Water pressure is low and the water is dirty, I know why that is, the galvanized pipes are gunked up. But I am confused on this one. I notice it 99% of the time in the shower (downstairs), I hear a thump every now and then. No rhyme or reason to it. It almost sounds like an ejector pump or a sump pump shutting off. Now everything that requires risers appears to have them. Anyone have any idea what might be causing this noise?
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Any chance it is heat expansion of the hot water pipe or the drain pipe caused by the flow of hot water?

Comment

IS THE "THUMP" ONLY WHEN THE WATER IS BEING USED? DOES IT DO IT ONLY 1 TIME? IS IT A VIBRATION NOISE OR A KNOCK. DOES THE NOISE ONLY COME FROM THIS ONE FIXTURE? IS THE FIXTURE A NEWER STYLE VALVE WITH A PRESSURE BALANCING SPOOL. THIS TYPE OF VALVE IS PRONE TO STICKING. THERE IS TYPICALLY A PISTON INSIDE OF A MULTIPORT CYLINDER. IF YOU HAVE A LARGE PRESSURE DROP AS YOU MENTIONED, IT IS PROBABLY THE PISTON MOVING INSIDE TO ADJUST, BALANCE THE PRESSURE BETWEEN THE HOT AND COLD. THIS CAN HAPPEN EVEN IF YOUR NOT USING THAT PATICULAR FXTURE.
      NORMALLY HOT WATER EXPANSION WILL CAUSE A TICKING TYPE NOISE AS THE PIPE WANTS TO EXPAND AND CAUSES A RUBBING NOISE AGAINST THE WOOD, STRAPPING. IT IS TYPICALLY NOT A 1 TIME THUMP.
      SEE IF THIS HELPS. ALSO GIVE SOME MORE INFO AS NOTED AT THE START OF MY POST.
      RICK.
      PS. SPACE THIS TIME DON'T LOOK IN THE YELLOW PAGES FOR A PLUMBER. GO BY A RECOMMENDATION. YOU SAW WHAT HAPPENED LAST TIME WITH YOUR SEWER.

Comment

Have you replaced the lines leading to your down stairs shower? When do you hear the thump, during your shower, when you turn the water on, or turn it off?

Rick has a valid diagnosis on the balancing valve, if thats what you have, but there could be other causes.

You wrote of having low pressure have you ever put a gauge on your sillcock to see exactly how much pressure you have? Many, many folks equate poor volume with poor pressure. It probably has nothing to do with your pipe noise but I am just curious as to what your actual static pressure is.
        Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

No i never put a gague on it. The low pressure is just the upstairs fixtures and simply because they still have galvanized pipe going up and from what I have changed out so far, it stands to reason as they have been nearly clogged. The noise is not a constant ticking, it is an irregular thumping and is not coming from the shower or the plumbing leading to the shower. It honestly sounds like it is coming from the plumbig wall on the other side of the bathroom with the toilet and sink. Those are the lines that also lead upstairs.

Next time someone is in the shower, i will make a concious effort to go to the basement and upstairs, listen around and see if i can at least isolate where it is coming from.

Thanks

Comment

Have you considered that your house may be haunted?
            >

Just kidding. If you don't mind wasting a bit of hot water try listeneing for it when no one is home. That way you have no distractions (or false sounds) of kids playing or women cleaning. Like a mechanic trying to find a periodic rattle it may take you several times to pin down the area where it is coming from.

One other thing for you to look at; Check to be sure the ballcock in your toilet is shutting of completely. If you have an inperceptable run in your toilet and you then alter the water flow, it can cause knocking and vibrations in your home. There is a story about just this problem that I will let you all in on when i have more time to write.
            Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

You know what, that might be it. The toilet.

WIll take a good look at that.

As i said earlier, i don't beleive it is a huge problem, so once my surgery is done, this is one of the first things i am going to be looking at!

Thanks for the input and the help, will let you know what I find when I find it

Comment

Working...
              X