Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Epoxy liner for residential copper lines has failed. What are my options?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epoxy liner for residential copper lines has failed. What are my options?

my nine year old epoxy liner has failed. company, under warranty, may want to re-apply epoxy for another ten year warranty.
    what are my options? should i re-pipe or re-epoxy?

There is a reason it is only guaranteed for 10 years unlike copper which has a 50 year warranty. In addition, I have yet to see a single job where epoxy lining was cheaper then copper and all of the drywall repairs.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

ToUtahNow
      prior owner put epoxy in. Warranty transferred to me. I have inherited problem.
      if company says only option is to re apply epoxy on failed product, is there information out there that says once epoxy has failed, only option is new piping?

Comment

I doubt they will give you another 10 years. Usually they will only cover the original 10 years. The problem is they don't cover ensuing damages so every time it leaks, that's on you. If you are okay with more coating, go for it. If you don't want to revisit the issue, have a qualified licensed plumber repipe your house.

Mark

Comment

Think I have commented on this before. Over here oneof our Water Companies has been pulling "condoms" through. Seriously, cost for a 20mm cu pipe, yeah they maintain there is a huge saving. We reckon absolute unequivocal BS of the smelliest kind. As ToUtahNow said, you have to bear the cost of everything else associated. Do it proper, do it COPPER.

Comment

the company wants to reapply epoxy. i believe this is not an appropriate remedy. their product failed. getting bids for copper but hoping for an expert here to tell me that re piping is my only course of action.

Comment

I've worked as a plumbing and mechanical expert since 1988. I have been retained on thousands of cases. I have defended cases for as much as $990,000,000. In my opinion, the only recourse you have against the lining company is to allow them to reline the pipes. As a consumer, the smart decision would be to pay out of pocket for a properly installed copper water system. An exception to that is if for some reason the water delivered to you home it too aggressive for copper plumbing.

Mark

Comment

The exisiting epoxy would have to be re-blasted clean to allow the new epoxy to stick to it. Are they planning to only do the 1 affected run, or the entire job? The warranty was only a 10 year warranty? seems very short.

Rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

• ToUtahNow
                  ToUtahNow commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's standard for a reline.

Rick right back at you on that one. Cheap repair with short term warranty. As Mark says, cough-up for re-pipe in copper but check the water first

Comment

Working...
                X