X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen faucet frustration

I installed an American Standard one-hole faucet on my stainless steel sink. Recently, moving the spout from one side to the other has started making the whole valve assembly move too, which twists the pipes under the sink, and I'm afraid it's going to start causing a leak. What can I do to fix this?

Did you try retightening the nut that holds it in with a faucet wrench? If it was properly installed with plumber's putty it may have worked some out and need a little more wrenching... or is it something more drastic... in the guts

Comment

When you fix the faucet under the countertop,
      probably you put only one nut, just put one more nut over the first one, it will be a jam nut, and the faucet will not move anymore.

Comment

I work around abused faucets daily and the lever handles are always pushed too hard and start spinning after a while. Sometimes when installing just put some clear silicone under the unit and glue it to the sink. I've always been a little leary of cracking the procelain so this works well. Good luck!

Comment

Have you tried removing the spout and lubing or changing the o-rings? This should let the spout move easier and not put so much stress on the rest of the faucet.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jtange:
            Have you tried removing the spout and lubing or changing the o-rings? This should let the spout move easier and not put so much stress on the rest of the faucet.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This sounds like the best first course of action. (I already had two nuts on the mounting post, but they've somehow worked loose--I suspect the plastic "stiffener" has either deformed or worn away slightly under the strain of the spour movement.)

Any suggestions what I should lubricate the O-rings with?

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Viking Ed:
              This sounds like the best first course of action. (I already had two nuts on the mounting post, but they've somehow worked loose--I suspect the plastic "stiffener" has either deformed or worn away slightly under the strain of the spour movement.)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
              Try a silicone lubricating grease, usually clear to translucent that will not eat rubber o-rings. I think it was "Solderseal"
              used to make something called HeatPruf grease, but it has probably been obsoleted by the newer silicone greases.

Comment

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would suggest a FDA approved silicone lubricant because you are working on a potable water source. I use Super Lube by Permatex, it is U.S.D.A. authorized: rated H-1

Comment

Try lubing your o-ring with the good old heat proof grease used on faucet washers for years. Good luck.

Comment

solder seal's heat proof grease works very well, but also any water proof grease will do the trick
                    solder_man

Comment

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lube up teh orings with the 360 degree heat grease, it is made by hurclues and is sold in all fo teh supply houses i ahve ever been in

Comment

Yup, it;s called heat-pruf grease, any old one will do the trick....
                        *The Greek Plumber*<BR> S. Tsakopoulos

Comment

Working...
                        X