Is a Ridgid K-40 Up to This

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a Ridgid K-40 Up to This

I'm thinking of getting a Ridgid K-40 sink machine to clean out the pipes of my house. Drains as well as vents, almost all of which have issues. The machine comes with a 5/16" X 35 feet cable. I will almost certainly need to run a 3/8" X 35 foot cable with a cutter of some sort to properly clean out some of my lines. (35 feet is good for my house, every drain/vent/cleanout is within that range of another drain/vent/cleanout.)

Is the K-40 up to this? Ridgid sells the 3/8" cable as an accessory, which implies that it should be fine, but I still have to wonder about it.

Any experience or insight into this would be welcome.

Thanks,

Dave

The answer is yes and no.

yes the machine will spin the cable down the 1.5'' -3'' lines, but will it clean them out of crud? no.

it takes a combination of cable, cutter, power, speed, experiance and knowledge to do a proper job.

The k-40 will open up a hair stoppage and some slight sludge in a smaller line, but it will not tackle what you're asking about properly cleaning out everything. Plus i doubt that your vents actually need the cleaning you think they do.

A k-50 with 5/8'' sectional cable will do a much better job for slightly more money.

A k-400 will also do a decent job if you have both 3/8'' and 1/2'' cable. might even be less money than a k-40.

if your pipes are plastic, then maybe a k40 will work, but if they are a combination of gal steel and cast iron, you're spinning your wheels with a k40 in doing anything more than passing a cable through a pipe.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

K40 doesn't seem like it has enough butt behind it, I have one on my work truck the k40af but the auto feed is slow and sometimes hard to negotiate traps. I had better luck with my k45af which seemed faster and little more power feeling to me. I tend to use my Spartan 100 for lots of calls lately, waiting on my new sectionals to come in still. Also forgot to mention the rigid k3800, I have used that machine an I liked it.
      Last edited by stm250; 04-27-2017, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Yes, my pipes are galvanized iron. House built in 1964, so lots of rust.

I have already a K-39AF, but it came with only 25'. When I used it with 35' to get to the blockage, it burned out when it got into the gunk. It's a pretty good machine for small stuff, so I ordered the replacement parts to fix it. Worth it. But, that was why I was questioning the K-40. I didn't want to go down the same path again.

A while back a plumber told me the whole house needed to be hydro jetted. (At $700 per vent X 5 vents. Ugh!) I rented one, but it wouldn't go around the 90 degree bends in my inch and a half pipe.

So, I have ordered a K-400AF with 3/8" cable and cutters. I'll see how it does and go from there. As for experience, you are right. But, I am learning. I can afford to spend a lot and gain experience for the long term and still come in less than $3500, I think.

Thanks again for the good advice.

Dave

Comment

At $700.00 per vent I'll drive out there and do it for you. Time to find an honest plumber.

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
          X