X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable lost in pipe

We had a cable to come apart in a 6" line. We are probably a 100' in and 20' from the manhole. Any suggestions on getting it out. They have put a building over top of the sewer line, so digging it out is not a option. Do they make a tool of some sort that we can purchase that will pull it out. Thanks

You're leaving a lot of information out as far as what size cable and what you are stuck in.

Ridgid makes a retriving auger for most of their cables. I have removed several abandond cables using a retriving auger.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

cheek, they make a retriever that attaches to the end of your snake. it will grab the cable. the problem is that you might end up with 2 cables stuck. why did the first cable come apart? is it stuck? can you come in from the manhole up to the cable at 20' in? if all else fails a camera can easily show you where the cable ends. then you can mark your new cable to allow for pulling it out.

i've had chain break on a few occasions while doing pipe bursting. with the camera and retriever, i've been able to catch the end of the chain and pull it out.

to sum it up, if the cable broke due to a tuff stoppage, then i would attempt to snake the line with a smaller cutter to free up the cable first. then the retriever next.

good luck, rick.

Comment

"to sum it up, if the cable broke due to a tuff stoppage, then i would attempt to snake the line with a smaller cutter to free up the cable first."

In my experience, doing that is a sure-fire way to get two cables stuck. Best to use the retriever first. Not to say you are wrong, just the way I would go about it.

Comment

az, if the cable is lodged in the line due to a stoppage, then a retriever is only going to attempt to pull back a stuck cable. the cable might have broken due to overstress. until you free up the cable you still have a cable that is stuck. the purpose of the second cutter is to cut the stoppage to allow for the broken cable to come free. if the cable only came undone due to operator error then the cable is loose and will pull out.

still a camera will allow for the operator to easily locate the end of the cable and hook it at that point. you don't want to hook it 1' down. this will make it very difficult if the cable has to be pulled back through a comby or a wye.

rick.

Comment

Rick, I'm not saying you're wrong, just going by my own experience, which is not alot as far as broke cables go. Just that almost everytime I've seen two cables run in a line, no matter what size cutter or no cutter at all, they tend to wrap around each other and get themselves twisted up into a knot, and you better hope there's not a sharp bend or 90 in the line or you're really screwed.

Perhaps it's easier with inner core?

I don't know. You are probably very well correct. I just personally would dread doing so.

Comment

Thanks for the info. We actually got the line unstopped and was pulling the cable out when it came apart. I will check this morning to see where i can purchase a retriever. Thanks.

Comment

Sectional cable not snapped together properly?

Mark

Comment

had a homeowner call me today. he had hired a local yellow page plumber. he had attempted to snake out the sewer main from a 3'' crawlspace c/o. after an hour of attemting to clear the stoppage and not being able to get his cable free the owner told him to leave. the plumber disconnected his cable from the machine and left the balance in the pipe.

the prior owner had recommended him to call me. i recalled a 4'' cleanout in the planter. i ran my 3/4'' cable with a 2'' cutter alongside the exisiting 11/16'' stuck cable. after clearing the line of a heavy root stoppage and briefly getting stuck for 5 minutes i had my cable free and the other cable free. pulled them both out and resnaked the line with a 4'' double cutter, removing a large amount of ficus roots.

the company that the homeowner got out of the yellow pages is know to all in the trade as a hugh rip off company.

this time the little guy won. the homeowner was being pressured into a hugh sewer job involving the city right of way.

rick.

[ 11-22-2005, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: PLUMBER RICK ]

Comment

I wonder what the name of the retoor rotor company was?
                    Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

plumber you probably wouldn't know them out there. out here most know them. mike diamond plumbing.

rick.

Comment

Rick,

As Mike is a regular contributor to the Reeves Journal plumber may have heard of him before. I don't know if you caught Mike's article this month but it was on Business Strategies. To read the article it came off more as an advertising for "Plumber's Success International" which Mike just happens to be the CEO of.

Mark

Comment

No, I read Contractor and a few others occasionally, will look into the Reeves Journal.

I think Rick has mentioned this fellow before. It sounds much more like he should be a carnival barker more so than a contractor.
                          Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

I read it and you're right, it's more like a full page ad for his PSI than an article. Even the suggestions at the bottom give no real info...it's more like he's saying, "here are the fundamentals you need and if you want to do it WE can show you how!" The guy is like a used car salesman.

I wonder how much he paid that rag off to run "articles" like that.

Comment

Working...
                            X