Detecting Gas Leaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detecting Gas Leaks

I have the ridgid cd-100 leak detector. I install a lot of 3/4" gas pipe. With that said the gas company pressure tests to 20 psi. Operating pressure is 9-10 psi. County Gas was kind enough to pressurize the lines with gas for me instead of pressured air. So my question is. Do I need to fill the lines with 10 psi of gas and 10 psi of air to get the required 20psi? Also any tips for my leak detector would be appreciated.

you need 20 psi of air with a tracer gas that the cd-100 can detect. so, any one of these:

Originally posted by Ridgid
    Methane, Hydrogen, Propane, Ethylene, Ethane, Hexane, Iso-Butane, Benzene, Iso-Butane, Ethanol, Acetaldehyde, Toluene, P-Xylene, Ammonia, Hydrogen Sulfide.
    *Common mixtures that would include or emit more than one of these gases include natural gas, paint thinners, industrial solvents, dry cleaning fluids, and gasoline
    I'd use 2 lb propane containers with an unlit torch head to inject my trace gas.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

So 10 psi NG and 10 psi air would work?

Comment

yes it would.
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

i would toss the detector and get a manometer along with a soap bottle. sniffing for a test is a waste of time. soap is cheap and doesn't require you to spend a lot of time at each joint.

The manometer will tell you very quickly if there is a leak or it's tight.

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I have a TIF leak detector and while it can be useful it has a tendency to create false alarms - the vapors in joint compound for example can trigger the detector and give the impression of a leak when there is actually no leak.

Comment

we have to isolate the new piping from the gas meter . test with air t0 1 1/2 times the working pressure . Usually even if the system is a 1/2 lb system I will pump up my 8 psi gauge to 7lbs. If the gauge drops I break out the soup bubbles .
              ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

True, but pressurized water is much safer than compressed air. Especially at that pressure.

We use air when testing waste lines over sensitive areas or multi story buildings. 5 psi air is much safer than 4+ Stories of water. That could end up being 16+ psi at the lowest level of the stack.

Rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                X