Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if the K-3 Toilet Auger gets stuck? How would I get it out? Have never used one

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here you go Rick. If you should need any additional training and your in my neck of the woods feel free to stop on by

Comment

Unlike you, I actually went through a 4 year union apprenticeship, along with over 6000 hours of on the job training before I was even eligible to apply to take a test for journeyman plumber. Which by the way I finished before anyone, had it scored by the city inspector and was out of there before anyone ever dropped their pencil. Not bad with a 98 out of 100 back in 1984.

So unlike you needing to learn from youtube, I actually had a state certified education, a state contractors license, multiple city business licenses and the ability to actually obtain permits, enter into contracts and legally perform my work.

Not sure where you got your training from, but I know it doesn't have any state certifications or requirements to go along with it.

In fact out here, you would be performing illegally once you go beyond $500. Or touch perform anything other than drain cleaning without a state contractors license.

Now who is the grass hopper?

Rick.
      Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 11-14-2017, 11:21 PM.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I didn't score that high(89) but I bet I scored higher than the average fire marshal. It took a long time but we are now required to have state certifications for the installation, maintenance and testing of automatic fire protections systems.

Comment

Y'all make me feel bad for what we charge to auger a stool, but I work for a shop with 10 trucks on the road and mile high overhead. I understand both Rick and asstyme's points but I have to side with asstyme.

When someone trys to call us, (at least in my neck of the woods) they have tried the plunger, draino(or some other variety of bleach) cheap hand spinners or flat tapes, you name it. The median household income in Wichita was 44,500 in 2010. I imagine asstyme is from a similar area. $65 is not disposable money for anyone I know and certainly not what we charge to clear a stool blockage. So when someone calls us they definitely don't want us to walk into the door with a $10 plunger to make them feel stupid for having tried the same thing and failing.

I will not say on here what it costs to call the company I work for to come out and auger a stool, but I will say it's worth more than just throwing the cable through the trapway and leaving. The stool is checked for hard water and piss deposits, which are removed with hand picks and calcisolve, and any parts needing replaced on the stool are done so for the cost of parts alone. Stool blockages are also warrantied for 60 days for anything other than foreign objects.

Some things really can't be compared and that includes pricing and (some) business practices in different parts of the country. I imagine in California $65 isn't seen quite the same for Rick's customer as it is for asstyme's customers.
          -Byron

Comment

• Mightyservant
            Mightyservant commented
            Editing a comment
            No question, our typical customers are different most have the cash but some will shop you to death still others are happy to see you. But you never know what your going to get.

• AssTyme
            AssTyme commented
            Editing a comment
            Well said grass hopper

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          Unlike you, I actually went through a 4 year union apprenticeship, along with over 6000 hours of on the job training before I was even eligible to apply to take a test for journeyman plumber. Which by the way I finished before anyone, had it scored by the city inspector and was out of there before anyone ever dropped their pencil. Not bad with a 98 out of 100 back in 1984.

So unlike you needing to learn from youtube, I actually had a state certified education, a state contractors license, multiple city business licenses and the ability to actually obtain permits, enter into contracts and legally perform my work.

Not sure where you got your training from, but I know it doesn't have any state certifications or requirements to go along with it.

In fact out here, you would be performing illegally once you go beyond $500. Or touch perform anything other than drain cleaning with a state contractors license.

Now who is the grass hopper?

Rick.

It's a proven fact that paper smart doesn't make a person street smart... If you can't figure out how to properly use a toilet auger without screwing up the toilet... well... I just don't know.....

I have no interest in nor do I perform any plumbing work. This is the drain cleaning forum "grass hopper"

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
            PLUMBER RICK commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, unlike you, I am licensed to perform every aspect of plumbing. Except medical gas which I never needed to worry about.

Unless someone is $hitting bricks, my plunger does just as good a job at clearing a toilet stoppage with no need to worry about scratches and hidden damages to the toilet.

$65.00 is a courtesy call and an opportunity to show a customer how to unplug their own toilet.
            65.00 doesn't cover my lost time on the drive to the next job.

Rick.

• AssTyme
            AssTyme commented
            Editing a comment
            "Yes, unlike you, I am licensed to perform every aspect of plumbing."

OK... so what does this have to do with anything? Bragging rights??? I was a high pile knitting tech for 15+ years, who gives a chit?

Again, this is the drain cleaning forum grass hopper

An astute observation, a mans got to know his limitations.

Comment

It's not a matter of knowing my limitations as the "want" and the "need" are not there.

I'm better off than most of the plumbers I know.

Work smarter, not harder

Why are most of you Californians so anal?

Comment

Gee Whizzzzzzz,

I'm on vacation for two weeks and a grand old pissing match comes on.

Not to ruffle any feathers but 75% of the time I get a toilet job there's something in there.
              A comb, toothbrush or dildo jammed in there. How could a plunger unjam such an object?

Back to the original question, I had a Ridgid 6' auger stuck because of a YO YO wedged in the stool.

I pulled and twisted all I could finally pulling the stool and still couldn't get it unstuck.
              Carried the stool out to the dumpster and took the hammer to it.

I did save the YO YO.

A good disclaimer saves your back side.

Comment

Must be that my customers don't abuse the toilet. I ask questions before I even go to the job. I already have a good idea if it's a toilet stoppage or a toy stoppage.

If 75% of your toilet stoppages are foreign objects, then you and I have different types of customers.

Rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

• fixitright
                  fixitright commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Working class customers who know how to use a plunger is my best guess.
                  I do ask if there's anything in there. Sometimes they know and sometimes they don't.

Kids are kids. $$$

Must be that my customers don't abuse the toilet. I ask questions before I even go to the job. I already have a good idea if it's a toilet stoppage or a toy stoppage.

If 75% of your toilet stoppages are foreign objects, then you and I have different types of customers.

Rick.

Yeah so do I and I repeatedly get lied to even when I show them the evidence. "I've never seen that before" or "I don't use those".

I would say one out of 10 of my toilets have a foriegn object in them.

Last edited by AssTyme; 11-21-2017, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Rick.

OMG you are too funny!!! I guess the children in CA just know better, lol! Or maybe when someone sits down and a pen or marker falls out of pocket and goes in they just know it happened?

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post

Yeah so do I and I repeatedly get lied to even when I show them the evidence. "I've never seen that before" or "I don't use those".

I would say one out of 10 of my toilets have a foriegn object in them.

OMG you are too funny!!! I guess the children in CA just know better, lol! Or maybe when someone sits down and a pen or marker falls out of pocket and goes in they just know it happened?
                    You realize that 10% of your toilet stoppages have foreign objects, yet you call me out when I say my customers don't abuse their toilets.

yet 75% of Fixitright jobs are removal of foreign objects.

you're 10% which is 10 out of 100 jobs, pretty low.

Fixitright is 75% which is 75 out of 100 job, extremely high.

Either you don't see the issues with that or you don't know basic math.

If i'm too funny, then you are too clueless. or you don't realize you actually agree with me based on your numbers.

yes, Grasshopper stick with the drain cleaning. Us plumbers actually have to use real math.

Rick.

phoebe it is

Comment

You realize that 10% of your toilet stoppages have foreign objects, yet you call me out when I say my customers don't abuse their toilets.

yet 75% of Fixitright jobs are removal of foreign objects.

you're 10% which is 10 out of 100 jobs, pretty low.

Fixitright is 75% which is 75 out of 100 job, extremely high.

Either you don't see the issues with that or you don't know basic math.

If i'm too funny, then you are too clueless. or you don't realize you actually agree with me based on your numbers.

yes, Grasshopper stick with the drain cleaning. Us plumbers actually have to use real math.

Rick.

Much like politics your west coast logic does not apply to general population (I'm not talking about your grade school math). Best leave the drains to an actual drain tech silly grasshopper!

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post

Much like politics your west coast logic does not apply to general population (I'm not talking about your grade school math). Best leave the drains to an actual drain tech silly grasshopper!
                        You have the knowledge of 1 finger of mine.

Between my 42 years of plumbing and drain cleaning. And owning and using equipment you can't even dream of or afford, you are the grasshopper and I am the master.

I doubt you want to go head to head with me in plumbing or drain cleaning knowledge and experience. While you're still in elementary school, I already have my phd.

Seriously, you really think in your 8 years of self taught drain cleaning you could hold your ground against my 42 years of experience and formal education in big city plumbing and drain cleaning. There's a reason why I'm licensed and your not. Yes, a contractors license is required for work totaling $500. Or more in California. You would be breaking the law out here if you even tried to compete.

Get a clue before you think you can compete with me.

Rick.

phoebe it is

Comment

OK you two....enough waving and claiming "my plunger is bigger than your plunger"!!!!

Every state has different building codes! Even with the "universal building code"
                          Every state, city, and county have their own versions of the building code.

In my area I need a building permit to replace a disposal in my sink
                          While they let hacks build houses with illegals!!!!!

So clearing a toilet East of the Mississippi is different than clearing a toilet west of
                          the Mississippi...big deal.

You have wavered far from the original question..go get some coffee....

Cactus Man

Comment

Working...
                          X