reverse osmosis system

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reverse osmosis system

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask or not. but here goes. We would like to add a reverse osmosis system to our kitchen sink. We have well water w/water softener and no iron issue per testing( professional service). Since they do take up a lot of under sink space and need to keep the wife happy would like to install in basement and run to kitchen sink. Education as to what is the recommended system to purchase and from where?

Thanks.

I'm sort of curious my self about an RO system. I'd like to pick one up for the refrigerator to do away with using the refrigerators filtration system. I've been looking at the Watts RO pure plus for no other reason than it a Watts product, it might well be a peice of junk for all I know but it does have decent reviews.

I did install 3 20 inch big blue whole house filters for silt, chlorine, and taste but it's not as good as an RO system for drinking water.

Comment

There is some research you need to do within your area....By this I mean determine after purchase support.
      It's no good to buy a system when 2-3 years later you're unable to buy replacement filters.
      So find out what brands and resources are available within your area. This will ensure filters and service support
      for the life of the RO system you decide to buy.

RO systems also offer a myriad of options from extra in line filters to even UV light to kill whatever makes it pass the
      RO filter. I suggest you get your water tested to determine what exactly you need in filtering and/or the RO system.

I do not know how many companies actually manufacture RO systems then folks put their decals on them!

I had a Culligan system for over 30 years and then I was unable to locate local service or parts and it was
      time to replace it.

I went from Galvanized pipe to Wisbro-Pex for the house's water system and today the RO I have is
      not even breaking a sweat ..when I had the Galvanized pipe I was changing filters every 4-6 months!

I actually found a system on E-bay from a company in California..it even included three years worth of replacement filters.
      I paid roughly around $250.00

The system installs under the kitchen sink and has clear acrylic filter holders so you can easily see the filter and
      determine when to replace it. With clean plumbing pipes and relatively decent water to begin with I
      am replacing the particulate filter almost once every two years.

My water solids are around 325-400ppm and the RO water solids run around 15-35ppm...

As far as locating the RO system in the basement far from the kitchen faucet or ice maker...I can not comment.
      Watching This Old House Rich has installed RO systems far from the kitchen....
      You will have to decide on that yourself..

My system is mounted under the kitchen sink and is secured to one side of the cabinet.
      Today they have bracket systems to offer a small foot print and you may want to take
      some measurements ...My original Culligan system was bulky.The only large item is the water tank.
      They offer two size tanks a medium size and a large size.

We have the medium size tank and with two adults have never run it dry.

Now the down side of an RO system....since you are on your own well water supply,
      keep in mind it takes around 2-4 gallons of water to make 1 gallon of RO water.
      If you do go with the RO system plan to route the drain water from the RO system to
      a garden instead of it simply running into your septic system. That way you at least get some
      use from the processing water.

Finally do your research and avoid high pressure salesmen telling you their system is used on the space station so
      it's better than anything else on Earth!

Do come back here and let us know what you finally came up with.

Cactus Man

Comment

There are several manufacturers than offer a model than claims to waste no water. Naturally these are about double the cost of a typical RO system, around $550 at HD. Naturally

We had an RO system before we moved out here and I completely forgot about the waste water. Great suggestion to use the waster water for irrigation.

Comment

Have you ever taken one of those storage tanks from an RO system and cut it open?
          And don't even try to tell me you are going to recycle every gallon of waste water
          that you generate for every two gallons you treat with RO.
          If your water isn't from a municipal source or otherwise treated, then RO is ineffective.
          Filter cost and frequency of replacement will be the result, and the initial costs are just ridiculous.

Comment

• Mightyservant
            Mightyservant commented
            Editing a comment
            Nope never have, right now I've got filters but I do want to get something more beefy for my frig. I like the theory behind RO but as I mentioned I'd forgotten about the waste water.

Because we are in a drought it makes sense out here to pipe it outside. If I go with an RO unit it'll probably be zero waste.

My sister in law lived for a few years in Tallahassee but I recall the water was pretty decent right out of the tap, what do most folks do for drinking water in FL?

Same as everywhere else. Either municipal, utility, or private well.
          Even if it was practical to discharge the RO waste outside,
          you're still wasting one gallon of water for every two treated.
          Nothing green about that...except the money wasted on RO systems.

Comment

• Mightyservant
            Mightyservant commented
            Editing a comment
            What would your recomendation be for a filtration system?

Any under the counter RO setup will work just fine if you install it somewhere else. You'll just need to run tubing to the RO faucet. If it's a long run, you'll need to increase the size of the tubing to avoid killing your water pressure. All of those RO systems suck though. Poorly designed filter cluster****s assembled with awful John Guest push fit connectors. Just drink distilled water, it'll be cheaper, won't dump 2 gallons down the drain for every one you drink, and won't flood your house.

Comment

Don't drink distiller water, it is a potent solvent and will leach the electrolytes out of your body. Get drinking water if you are going to buy water.

Comment

I have a health concious customer who uses RO to clean the water then places the water in a clear tank with mineral pellets at the bottom of the tank to restore minerals. They use water from the tank for cooking and drinking. The water in the clear tank is drained via gravity.
            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

• Mightyservant
              Mightyservant commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds like a lot of work, more than I'd want to do.

Having installed large water mains and seeing the materials and teqniques used, even though we install to industry standards, even though mains were flushed and tested for contaminants after repairs there was no question I would want to install some type of filtration as an added measure.

If your home is connected to a municipal water system, even a basic water filtration system would be a good thing if nothing else to help remove contaminants that will occur as the city makes upgrades and repairs. A simple cartridge style filter system can be added to remove dirt and fines. Beyond that,you can really get carried away.

I've been using RO systems since moving to SE Colorado. While good taste and smell - water is high mineral/alkaline and works on body like Drano - cleans your pipes. It also eats all metal bits and fittings. Moved from city water to well water 17 years ago.

Based on my experience: buy a 4 filter RO. Buy one of the units that don't have the jars that you put a filter in. These are huge and a REAL pain to change filters. Need filter wrench and water dumps when you change them - take up too much room under sink. Units with screw on filters are far better: easy change - fits better under sinks and filter change are a dream. Filter bottle life are equal to the other type. My well water comes out in chunks - high mineral/alkalinity - bacterial rust. RO turns this into water equal to bottled water. Love it.

Installed myself (70 year old woman) easily. Waste water goes into sink drain via saddle. Branched tubes to connect to Frig ice maker - makes ice but not water. Can/will add a small booster later or install separate one in basement closer to Frig and drain to gray water system of house. I also installed a dual RO faucet and hot water unit at the sink. This requires creating a non-air gap setup for the dual cold/hot RO faucet. Took a little research -but I was able to do it and the system works great. Changing bottle filter requires tilting bottles up a bit and a quarter twist that can be done quick and needs no tools such as filter wrench.

I advise putting in shut offs to RO that allows by-pass of system (I disinfect my well monthly due to bacterial rust in water); a shut off to refrig line; and I added a shut off to the RO faucet, as well. Unlike one poster, I used John Guest push fittings and loved them. Might be the issue is there are cheaper Guest "type" fittings that I found problematic and leaky. Buy genuine Guest. Well system may lack sufficient pressure if refrig line is an extended run. They sell small booster pumps that fixes this.

Comment

Working...
          X