Threader

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threader

I need to know if product 36345(pipe threader) will thread that 1/2" solid round steel stock you can buy at most hardware stores. Comes in about 4ft pieces, but I'm not sure of the grade of steel. I just need to know before I buy this product. Thanks for your help.

You need the number 532 head to thread bolts. Machine thread and pipe thread are not the same. If you only need a few, a decent set of manual hand dies can be bought for about 75 to 150 bucks and will allow you to tap and thread or re thread a large variety of rod bolts and fastners.

There is also all thread rod available which is already threaded the full length and all you need to do is cut it to length.
    Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Can you point me to the URL link where this 532 head is located. Thanks again.

Comment

db,
        The catalog number you provided (36345) is for a OO-R threader set with a capacity of 1/2" - 1". As plumber has specified, this will not work on steel rod because pipe and rod are measured differently.

If you are looking for a manual set of dies to thread rod we offer a OO-RB set of dies specifically designed for threading bar stock it can be purchased in UNC or UNF configurations. Here is a URL to the catalog page where they are listed.
        http://www.ridgid.com/catalog/RT2004-023.pdf

Another option is to purchase OO-RB die heads and a ratchet individually in order to reduce the cost a bit. Here is a link to the page that lists the ratchet only for the OO-RB:
        http://www.ridgid.com/catalog/RT2004-022.pdf

This link will take you to the page that shows the OO-RB die heads for individual purchase:
        http://www.ridgid.com/catalog/RT2004-024.pdf

If you are using a threading machine or 300 with a carriage assembly the 532 (or 531 depending on the size) is an option, however if this is the case you might consider universal bolt dies that can be used in you existing pipe threading (universal) dies head.

Plumber makes a great point in that you might consider a standard tap and die set in order to save some money and add a little more versatility to the situation. It depends on the volume of threads you intend to cut. I hope this is of some assistance to you.

Comment

Thanks for your help. So you're telling me a standard manual die set will work for threading this type of round stock(1/2")? Also, what brand do I need to look for and does the set need to be a certain quality? Thanks again.

Comment

db,

I bought a higher end tap and die set from Craftsman for about 100 bucks or so on sale to use around the house. There are a few other brands out there that make good tap sets also but I didn't want to waste a day looking for them when I needed them. Their made in USA stuff will work okay for most applications (they have some really cheap imported dies that are not worth the box they come in.). Just check to be sure the kit you buy has the actual tools you need. Craftsman can get a little screwy with their tool sets sometimes and leaves a few out so you'll have to come back to buy more.
            Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Working...
            X