New faucet is slow to turn off

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New faucet is slow to turn off

Hi all, new to the forums here. I had a plumbing question though. i just bought this faucet here: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Glacier-...0BNV/207090324

It was a fairly cheap faucet so maybe it's just the design, however when I go to turn it off it takes a second or two for it to stop the flow of water completely. Almost as if there is some build up in the faucet, and it just takes some time for it all to empty out. At first I thought maybe its the design of the faucet having such a large bow, but I recall my parents house having a faucet with an even bigger bow and it shuts off right away. It's a little bother some that a new faucet would be doing this. What could be the causes that would make it so the water doesn't stop immediately? Thank you!

Looking at your link, the faucet cotains a diverter valve for the side hand sprayer. Could be a pressure buildup in the side sprayer hose.

Is the running on full pressure or more of a run off? See what happens when you remove the aereator. Yes the downward spout contains water. And if the aereator is allowing the air back in, you will drain off what's left in the spout up to the bend.

The other test is to remove the swing spout and test to see if the flow stops immediately, but this will get messy as water will be all over the counter and possibly through the underside of the faucet into the cabinet.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

You mistake was buying Glacier Bay. Return it and buy a Moen or Delta for about the same price.

Comment

• Plumber Punky
        Plumber Punky commented
        Editing a comment
        Glacier Bay is crappy Delta

I couldn't find any styles that I liked in any other brand without paying almost twice as much. It's a cheaper faucet but for $80 that's still not exactly cheap lol. My bathroom faucet is a different style but it was a $20 faucet. No issues with it. Super cheap and simple. Do you know which models would be close in price but still that style faucet? We are mostly just looking for a high faucet with the sprayer because the home doesn't have a dish washer. Its nice to have a high faucet for bigger pots and pans.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        Looking at your link, the faucet cotains a diverter valve for the side hand sprayer. Could be a pressure buildup in the side sprayer hose.

Is the running on full pressure or more of a run off? See what happens when you remove the aereator. Yes the downward spout contains water. And if the aereator is allowing the air back in, you will drain off what's left in the spout up to the bend.

The other test is to remove the swing spout and test to see if the flow stops immediately, but this will get messy as water will be all over the counter and possibly through the underside of the faucet into the cabinet.

Rick.
        Definitely a run off. If I shut it off it'll stop, but it has a run off for a second or two. I tried holding the side handle open while running the water and then shutting it off, but it still did its run off, just not as bad since less water was running out of the faucet and more so out the handle.

Comment

Most likely a different aereator will then correct this.

You'll know for sure if you remove the swing spout.

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            Most likely a different aereator will then correct this.

You'll know for sure if you remove the swing spout.

Rick.
            I took off the swing spout and gave it a whirl. Without the spout it shuts off and applies full pressure right away. That's another thing I noticed with the spout is that it also takes a second to get to full pressure. It's almost like it has a slow acceleration and slow deceleration effect. If I play with turning it from on to off back to on repeatedly you can really see the full effect of it taking its time to turn off and to turn on. So how does an aerator work then? Does it take a certain amount of pressure to push the water through so it can hold in water and some pressure for instant on/off?

Comment

I should also note that if I turn the water on/off repeatedly while keeping the side sprayer open, the side sprayer turns on/off immediately like it should.

Comment

Might also be a sticking diverter valve. That's what makes the side sprayer work and shuts off the spout and visa-versa.

The aereator restricts the flow and also cleans up the flow. But it should help retain the water in the spout when it shuts off.

Rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Remove the aerator, take it apart and remove the little o-ring inside it, if it has one. then reassemble and try again.
                  ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                    Remove the aerator, take it apart and remove the little o-ring inside it, if it has one. then reassemble and try again.
                    Nothing changed except water squired out before the aerator. I also tested the side sprayer after the water was turned off to see if there was a problem with pressure building up and releasing back into the swing spout. But if I turn the water off and try to activate the side sprayer it sprays out what pressure it has left quickly. So I'm guessing the diverter valve should be ok too. I'm gonna go with the aerator being the issue. I'll test a new one out and see what it does.

Comment

I dont mean the seal between the aerator and faucet. There's often a mini o-ring inside the aerator that acts as a flow restrictor.

Last edited by Plumber Punky; 03-10-2018, 10:54 PM.
                      ~~

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbn12ail.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	728442

Here are the pictures of my aerator. It doesn't have an o-ring in it. I did try several different ways including no aerator at all. The best setup I have is just the grey piece with the white flange put in the fitting (pretty much gutted, no center piece that has that the brown cap connects to or the brown cap itself). But this setup gives a very ugly flow. And its also hit or miss. Most of the time it went on and off right away, however it would sometimes drip for a few seconds and then air would seep up and the rest of the water would come out.

Comment

get yourself a new aerator plug and you should be all set.
                          ~~

Comment

Working...
                          X