New product or snake oil product

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New product or snake oil product

Just came across this so called water saving device while looking at an emailed Home Depot special sent to me.

First thought was snake oil, second thought after reading the Q&A was snake oil.

Of course that's my impression , but don't know the water chemistry or turbidity of water in the rest of the country.

Whats your honest though and why?

Anyone here willing to test drive this product?

Might be able to get 1 to test drive and view the results.

But how difficult would it be to perform a bench test with and without this prodict.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Waterpro...WP03/302826984

Rick.
    phoebe it is

April fools?

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
      PLUMBER RICK commented
      Editing a comment
      Good call, but it's now April 2nd.

Rick.

This is what the water saving device looks like.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

• Mightyservant
      Mightyservant commented
      Editing a comment
      I have to tip my hat at the salesman that buffaloed a Home Depot purchaser to buy these gems. Do they even have a NSF listing? Any listing? How about the sweet looking warranty,

I just wonder what it took to get there, a weekend in Vegas with free money and broads or what.

Eventually when enough prosumers point out the obvious BS (any day now) this junk will be stuffed into an end cap at 75% off.

It would be easy to test and I think it doesn't work. Run the meter for 20 seconds and measure the quantity of water. Install the device and repeat the test. Theoretically you should see a difference in volume. Also you can't compress water but how could compress the so little amount of air mixed inside water?

Comment

*cough cough BS* *cough*

compresses air... my ***! so it makes water pressure go UP? removes air without venting it? sure...

Plus, you're still metering air, as it goes after the meter...
      Last edited by Plumber Punky; 04-02-2018, 02:54 PM.
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
        *cough cough BS* *cough*

compresses air... my ***! so it makes water pressure go UP? removes air without venting it? sure...

Plus, you're still metering air, as it goes after the meter...
        It doesn't get rid of air it compresses it like a compressor. I think you'll notice a saving because it's restricting the flow so you use less water. Simple principal as water saving shower head!

Comment

I'm certainly not an expert on the physical properties of water but this does look like snake oil. The amount of air/gases dissolved in water is very small and I'm not sure you can "compress" it in the dissolved state.

I think boiling or degassing by reducing the pressure are common ways to get the dissolved gases to leave the water.

Not sure I can see how compressing the water does anything. Not that water is compressible being a liquid. But if you could compress the air which I highly doubt, it would then re-expand once it passes the restriction device.

Comment

Hey now, it has three 5 star reviews.

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
              Hey now, it has three 5 star reviews.
              Shut up and take my money! Where is Vince Shlomi, or "The Slapchop Guy", he will sell sell sell!

Comment

Originally posted by Pro Service View Post

Shut up and take my money! Where is Vince Shlomi, or "The Slapchop Guy", he will sell sell sell!

I would try one but my water meter has a 1/2" horn

I have an irrigation system , it may be a good investment...???

Comment

http://thesmartvalve.com/

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
                  I'm certainly not an expert on the physical properties of water but this does look like snake oil. The amount of air/gases dissolved in water is very small and I'm not sure you can "compress" it in the dissolved state.

I think boiling or degassing by reducing the pressure are common ways to get the dissolved gases to leave the water.

Not sure I can see how compressing the water does anything. Not that water is compressible being a liquid. But if you could compress the air which I highly doubt, it would then re-expand once it passes the restriction device.
                  if there is any savings to this device it is right here, RExpands after the device, meter is now before the device.

poor illustration; but like measuring the volume of popcorn before and after, it is popped, but my guess is any pressure regulator is already doing the same thing,

if it is effective at all, my guess is it in 1 or possibly 2 percentage points, no 40%, If your water contains 40% of gases you hot water would be blowing out air every time you used hot water as it would be coming out of the water and in to a gas,

but water can absorb a lot of gas as a dissolved gas, such as a carbonated beverage, but the adsorbed gas adds very little volume to the liquid, I is somewhat like the rocks pebbles sand water illustration, on how much stuff can fit in a container, they are saying if the water is reduced in pressurized as it goes across the meter it measures all the contents separate rather than as a mixed product, (I think there wrong unless you are going to an unrestricted discharge), and not pressure is left in the pipe at the meter point,

I would say it is snake oil, (I think there is more scientific validity to the electronic water softener than in this pressure regulator, as to its claims, and I have yet to see "proof" of water softener working in real world environment), so I would call this BS,

Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Sorry to say, but with the dumbing down of our society for all things mechanical, and lack of common sense, stuff like this will be more and more prevalent. I would agree though that it would reduce the water pressure, look at how much flow it suppresses. The amount of air in the water line is only about 0.05%. I work in a chemical lab and we have to degas some of our eluent mixtures for the analytical equipment. Without some advanced test equipment, there is no way you could measure the volume loss from "de-airing" the water.

Comment

Working...
                    X