Brass shower valve

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brass shower valve

My plumber told me that there is a dielectric union built in on the inside of the brass shower valve. Is this true?

I am getting brown water coming out of my bathtub. We look at the plumbing. There are coppers pipes going into the inlet ports and galvanized riser and galvanized nipple on the other two ports. I see rusted thread on the nipple My plumber says the rust is only on the outside because there is a dielectric union built into the inside of the valve . So he changed my water heater and the brown water is gone. It has been two days. My only concern is the brown water will come back because from my Google research, I learned that the corrosion happens from the inside out. Can anyone help? Thanks

Not there is not. However, old galvanize pipes cause rust and brown water.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I am not a plumber but I am familiar enough with galvanized pipe. All that galvanized needs to be replaced throughout your house or you will continue getting stains, cloudy and poor tasting water.

If you go down this road consider hiring a competant plumber, with newer teqniques it should be fairly painless but somewhat costly in your area.

Comment

Thanks Mightyservant. I like your username.

Comment

• Mightyservant
          Mightyservant commented
          Editing a comment
          Your welcome. I had galvanized pipe at one time and it was replaced about 30 years ago with copper.

I was not satisfied with the "newer" copper and replaced it with a different configuration and larger copper pipe, pressure regulator, filtration,new water heater and expansion tank.

There is a couple of newer methods that make it less invasive and therefore less costly to repipe a house. One is PEX and while it would not be my choice, quite a bit of homeowners are going with it. A good plumber will explain the options but there are a number of excellent qualified plumbers in the forum that can explain more thouroughly the process.

I am not the owner. I am just a renter. They are not replacing the galvanized. I am just happy my water clear now after they change the heater. I am just concern the brown water will come back.
        ​​​

Comment

• Mightyservant
          Mightyservant commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, it will, encourage your landlord to replace it all, it's expensive but not impossible.

I will try to talk to them. Thank you Mr. Mightyservant for your help.

Comment

not uncommon to see this with the risers, tub drop and tub nipple stub out. just repaired a shower arm today with the same setup. copper to valve and original gal pipe at the shower has a riser.

brass is the best go between from copper to gal pipe. a dielectric is junk and will easily plug up. most likely the rust will show up if you let the tub sit for a period of time. sort of like the tea bag affect. longer the water is in contact with gal pipe, the deeper the tea color will be/

the brass valve is not a dielectric union, but acts as a decent dielectric to prevent electrolysis.

every dissimilar metal creates electrolysis, but on the galvanic table, some are not that extreme when mixed.

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

• Ordinarymin
            Ordinarymin commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Rick.

Is it true that the rusted nipple is only from the outside and not the inside. Are the riser and nipple consider part of the potable water systems?
            The brown water is gone after they replaced the heater
            Minh
            Last edited by Ordinarymin; 06-23-2018, 09:58 AM.

• PLUMBER RICK
            PLUMBER RICK commented
            Editing a comment
            The galvanizing process is a hot dipped zinc that is applied like a plating process, it's not throughout the entire steel nipple, but just the exposed inner and outer parts of the nipple..meaning both the inside water flow and the exterior outside what you photographed.

Any pipe, fitting or valve or fixture that comes into contact.with the water has to be approved in a potable system.

That's why we don't use black steel pipe and fittings. On gas or fire sprinklers, yes. On potable water, galvanized pipe was the rule of thumb for the majority of residential until about the early 70's when copper was the go to material.

Rick.

Don't drink the water

Comment

• Ordinarymin
            Ordinarymin commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks DrainSlayer! I hav been buying filter water since the end Of November last year. There is small amount of lead in the water, well below Federal guidelines. I don't know where that lead is coming from. I learned that there are lead in the brass and it could be coming from the soldering if it's not lead free solder.

Probably the city water is slightly contaminated, Reuters compiled a list some time ago of the cities with that showed the presence of lead, CA had 20 cities with higher levels of lead than Flint, MI. There is no safe level of lead in drinking water.

Consider buying a pitcher style water filter, it's less costly than bottled. I seem to recall one model that gets 99% of the lead out of water.

Comment

• Ordinarymin
            Ordinarymin commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Mightyservant.

• Ordinarymin
            Ordinarymin commented
            Editing a comment
            Mightyservant,

They will replace the rest of the gavy and the brass elbows and brass shower valve with copper with Lead-Free solder. That will prevent the brown water from coming back. Thanks for your help.

Minh

That is good news for sure Ordinarymin, I'm glad you've got a land lord that's making an effort to make things right. As a landlord sometimes people sometimes get the wrong impression. Landlords are like everyone else some are doing really well, some are ok and still others are struggling. When it comes to issues like this you need to voice your concerns and if it all works out you get what you need.

When you don't get what you want your better off moving on rather than getting into a problem that some land lords can't or will not address.

Many of these issues come up out of ignorance not malice. We now understand much better the effects of lead in drinking water. We also have a better understanding of municiple water systems, plumbing fixtures, pipe, it's assembly, water treatment and how it all can effect the quality of water and therefore our health. The public is much better informed on options we have to improve the quality of water we use everyday.

Comment

Working...
          X