Toilet leak at base?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet leak at base?

Hello! I know nothing about plumbing, but I?ve come here for help! What is happening with this toilet? It is a backflush toilet (is that what it?s called?! The toilet drains behind not down-I think?! Someone mentioned that once to me but I?m not sure). It?s in the bottom level of a split level house. It?s the lowest point of our plumbing for the house. I noticed the other day there was rust and a small amount of water at the bottom of this toilet. If I press a paper towel against the base of the toilet there?s a small amount of water that appears on the paper towel- like the size of a paper clip. What do I need to do? What?s happening? And what kind of toilet is this?! Thank you so much in advance for your help!

It's called a "Rear Outlet" toilet.

Your leak is most likely the seal to the flange. The seal can be an ordinary wax ring or a felt reinforced wax ring.

you need to scrape off the old caulking to loosen the toilet from the base, and wall. remove the 2 nuts securing the china to the wall and clean everything off. you will probably see a distinct dark spot where the seal had been leaking. you can post a couple of photos before and after cleaning. this will allow for me to see if the leak was from just a bad seal or other issues. also if the flange is too deep.

post the photos prior to resetting the toilet if you want a second opinion.

Rick
    phoebe it is

Comment

Hey Rick! Thank you so much for the quick reply! So on a traditional toilet the wax ring is on the bottom which is where the waste goes out. For this toilet, that ring is at the wall? Is that what you mean? So how would water be coming out of the base if there?s no hole there for plumbing? Could you explain to me how the toilet drains and where there are pipes? Thank you so much!

Comment

yes, the outlet is on the wall, dead center of the 2 wall bolts. as the water seeps or drips, gravity takes it to the floor and it seeps out under the caulking.

Rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Ah that makes sense! Okay I will get on this over the weekend. Thank you again!

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
            PLUMBER RICK commented
            Editing a comment
            You're the student on this one.. I'm the teacher.

Rick

Exactly we are students and plumber rick is our teacher he have lots of knowledge about plumbing.

Comment

Ahh..My toilet has some type leak issue as well. I am also facing flush problem. Thus, i am thinking to replace my toilet. Which brand and which model you will suggest to buy? Toto? I am thinking to buy a Toto Legato toilet. But, I have few other options too. Like this type of toilets from Toto. Any idea? If you have personal experience, then please share with me.
            Last edited by kintimin; 09-20-2018, 09:49 PM.

Comment

• toolaholic
              toolaholic commented
              Editing a comment
              Toto for me
          Working...
          X