Multi unit plumbing vent issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi unit plumbing vent issue

My house is a 2 story multi unit which recently had one apartment remodeled. The contractor re routed the 1st floor kitchen sink drain and used an air admittance valve, however this drains into a common vertical vent/waste pipe which runs under the floor to the main line. Onto the issue, whenever the apartment upstairs does dishes and releases a large volume of water, my sink gurgles and I can see water bubbling in the drain.Does it sound like I have a blockage or did the general contractor mess the plumbing up. When I run my sink or drain a large amount of water, it drains fast without any issues.Here are some images.
    1st floor kitchen drain Basement view, pvc is 1st floor and steel is coming from the second floor.Discharge hose from dishwaher is below kitchen.
    Last edited by timeormoney; 08-08-2018, 03:11 PM.

Also the kitchen are directly above each other

Comment

Installed with pride....Jeff the plumber 2018. Damn this is hilarious, he shouldn't be so proud proving he did that work.

Comment

I?m assuming the second floor water is rushing down and then going back up the wye, any suggestions on how to remediate this would be helpful.

Comment

The best thing to do would be to get the contractor and his plumber back out and show them whats going on. This way they can address your concerns.

When ever your doing renovations you should pipe like for like that is you intall the new pipe just like the old pipe was configured. There's a good chance it was installed correctly the first time around since it likely had to be inspected by the city. If you get away from that you really need to be sure to have a competant plumber. They will know what's acceptable and what not.

Its amuses me to see these devices used as a shortcut with the pretext of being a money saver. When in reality what it meant was a small savings, a slipshod apearance and annoying sounds emanating from the bowels of the pipe. And you posting this question because its keeping you up. Doesn't sound like it was worth it.
          Last edited by Mightyservant; 08-09-2018, 09:13 AM.

Comment

where would you like to start with violations.

how about that illegal dishwasher hose running below the floor.

almost forgot the all rubber fernco band on the pvc. needs to be shielded for interior use.

along with that illegal drilled in tee on the copper line.

or the pot metal nuts on the basket strainer.

won't even think about the venting at this point.

or the open blue plastic electrical box stuffed up in between floors.

Rick
            Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 08-09-2018, 10:08 AM. Reason: illegal fernco added
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

or the pot metal nuts on the basket strainer.

Rick
              Can you describe this for me I'm not sure what you are referring to. Are you talking about the slip joint nut?

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
                PLUMBER RICK commented
                Editing a comment
                Die cast zinc locking nut on the strainer is not approved for use in our code. neither is the slip joint nut that is not made from corrosion resistant materials. brass or plastic is fine. plated steel is not.

Rick,

Half the reason I?m making this post is because I know something isn?t right and don?t believe the contractor is competent,I?ve addressed these issues with him, and before I spend any more money I figured I would get some feedback.

Comment

The are many "contractors" that know just enough to get themselves into trouble. The best contractors busy themselves working on good jobs with good customers and the smaller jobs end up going often less reliable, less competant contractors and subcontractors. It hard to find a contractor for a small job but it is possible, the problem is you never know what your going get.

We had a local sportscaster get in a dispute over a paint project done at his home. The painting contractor ended shooting the poor guy 8 times but he somehow survived. Apparently the painting contractor did shoddy work and was partially paid for the work performed and was asked to leave but he was upset over the accusations. The sportscaster got himself a real winner there but he's ok and has returned to work and he seems none the worse. The painter meanwhile is in prison where hopefully he gets a lobotomy.

You could try and hire a proven contractor to come out and give you a price to clean things up if you have deep enough pockets or you might just have to live with it that is until you sell the property where this could come up once again.

Comment

• blue_can
                  blue_can commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That sportscaster lives a couple of streets away from me and that's where the incident took place as well.

I appreciate all the feedback,but could someone explain what to look for in order to remediate the shoddy work.I don?t believed it requires deep pockets to repair the mess I?m dealing with, but it should be done correctly.I know the dishwasher discharge needs to be moved under the sink with a high loop, and AAV stay or does it have to be removed?
                Last edited by timeormoney; 08-09-2018, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Blue_can, I didn't figure your neigborhood as a rough one ! What bad luck for Kyle. Not knowing what your going get is the main reason why I do most of my own work as I'm sure you do as well. I means reviewing a lot of reference material but at least you know its right.

I figured with this unpleasant heat you'd been buried with customers, I'ts beginning to feel like we are living in the South lately. I'm glad to see your keeping an eye on things, stay cool!

Comment

Originally posted by Mightyservant View Post
                    Blue_can, I didn't figure your neigborhood as a rough one ! What bad luck for Kyle. Not knowing what your going get is the main reason why I do most of my own work as I'm sure you do as well. I means reviewing a lot of reference material but at least you know its right.

I figured with this unpleasant heat you'd been buried with customers, I'ts beginning to feel like we are living in the South lately. I'm glad to see your keeping an eye on things, stay cool!
                    No it's not - the roughness came with the character he hired. I've walked past where the incident took place several times prior to the incident and was not aware that guy lived there. Only such incident I'm aware of in the 16 years I've lived here.

I've fixed a few ac systems for people in the last few weeks but I do it more as a side job and when I have time away from my main consulting tasks. Got to go see another dead unit tomorrow.

Comment

• Mightyservant
                      Mightyservant commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Well done sir....Its been my observation that the finest engineers and designers are also competant mechanics, I tip my hat.

My neighbors had to wait over 3 weeks to get someone out to replace a rooftop unit on a two story condominium with upstairs bedrooms (oh the humanity). They finally are back on track in time for this unpleasant heat wave.

I'm sure your customers will apreciate the timely expertise, right about now you must be a very popular guy !

• blue_can
                      blue_can commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Mightyservant Yes now is not the time to be rushing to replace an ac system with a heatwave. But some people are left with no choice in the case of a major failure. Unfortunately it is also not uncommon to have unscrupulous contractors suggest unit replacement for a minor failure and scam the consumer into a new system. I usually advice people to not rush the purchase of a new system and make sure everything is done correctly including equipment selection and sizing. Just had someone ask about it yesterday. If you are planning to replace your system best do it before a heatwave strikes as you will have less options once the heatwave strikes.

Originally posted by timeormoney View Post
                    I appreciate all the feedback,but could someone explain what to look for in order to remediate the shoddy work.I don?t believed it requires deep pockets to repair the mess I?m dealing with, but it should be done correctly.I know the dishwasher discharge needs to be moved under the sink with a high loop, and AAV stay or does it have to be removed?

Comment

Get the contractor and his plumber back out and explain your concerns. Check if AAV's are allowed in your city in multilevel buildings. Find a competant plumber and get a price to vent the sink as it was before assuming it was in compliance originally. There are rules that must be followed particularly for multi level structures and a competant plumber will give a complete answer. There are several factors in play and its impractical to get prescriptive solutions in this situation.

Nothing beats a traditionaly vented waste line.
                      Last edited by Mightyservant; 08-09-2018, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X