Pipe hanger choice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipe hanger choice

I'm installing 3/4 gas pipe perpendicular under floor joists in my basement.
    Can you recommend to me a good but inexpensive pipe hanger for black pipe?

I'm running ~50ft, how far apart are supports required?

Wire hooks are fine. They come in 6" and 9" length. Typically they have a plastic insulated coating for noise and disimilar metals.

Every 8' and change of direction is fine.

https://goo.gl/images/qbLy19

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick.

Comment

We use Tolco (cooper) loop rings, 3/8 rod, and Sammy screws for just about everything at work including gas (clean agent) systems. This type of hanger will support the weight of a man + 250 pounds + the section of pipe including the product which in our case is water.

We have to install these to be in compliance so I'm used to it, not a big deal although it might be if your not used to it. I like these hangers because they are robust although there are even stronger hangers available.

The Sammy screws come in a variety of configurations, orientations and are compact although you have to buy 35 at a time. You can also use coach screw rods, rod couplings etc. to get the same result although it's more cumbersome and less elegant but you should be able to get just a few at HD or Lowes.

Comment

They didn't have the wire loop types at the store so I got these.

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
          PLUMBER RICK commented
          Editing a comment
          no photos.

Rick

Mightyservant:
        Your method sounds very strong and great if you need to drop the pipe down low to avoid obstacles, but I can but the pipe up to the bottom of the joists. I believe the oatey clamps I picked are stout enough for hanging 3/4 pipe.

The Sammy screws look great. I will definitely consider them for future jobs.

Comment

John the picture didnt show up.

There's many ways to do it, I like useing the rod because you can run level or a slope very easily. The rod give you infinite adjustment if you're a perfectionist. You can also run the pipe tight to the bottom using Sammy (horizontal) fasteners but a half strap with some lag bolts might be sufficient, just make sure a coupling or joint doesn't end up on the joist or it'll look taco and be a little harder to make up.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_2018-09-14-20-54-44-1.png Views:	1 Size:	300.8 KB ID:	734881
            Only 50ft, mostly under drop ceiling so I don't care how it looks.
            Second and final attempt at picture.

Comment

• Mightyservant
              Mightyservant commented
              Editing a comment
              Plastic for me doesn't work, over time plastic seems to split where the screws bear the weight. But sure they are listed for gas piping installation. I'd space these 84" oc or less check with the manufacturer.

If there a chance your going to hang anything on it or there's a chance someone's gonna feel frisky and decide to do pull ups on it I wouldn't use plastic.
              Last edited by Mightyservant; 09-17-2018, 10:29 PM.

• PLUMBER RICK
              PLUMBER RICK commented
              Editing a comment
              Those are not my choice for steel pipe. Problem is you need to support the pipe and thread the lengths together. Hard to hang pipe and then expect to thread them together with that type of suspension hanger.

Those are more geared towards copper.

The wire hooks I mentioned would be my choice on a residential wood framed gas line.

Should be easy to find at most hardware stores or diy centers.

Rick.

• Mightyservant
              Mightyservant commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree with Rick, I'd use wire hangers before you use these.

i like everything rock solid in Seismic country . So I add 2x4 blocking every 4 feet between joists then use Galvanized u clips on each block.
            No Girly plastic for SULLY
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

• Mightyservant
              Mightyservant commented
              Editing a comment
              That's why your the man tool .

In all seriousness, I guess it's hammered into our thinking, they would fail us in a New York minute if we didn't do it right.

Tanks Tool
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Ok, good advice.
              I'll return them and buy the copper ones elsewhere. It'll be a while before I start slinging gas pipe.
              I'm about midway with our kitchen remodel.

Comment

Working...
              X