X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

plumber asked; "Would you happen to have the ropes and clamps..."

no, don't have any joint runners, ladel, lead pot or any of that stuff any more. Gave it away or trashed it long ago. I just happened to hang on to the packing irons that I had modified to reach those tight spots and a few I used every day. I have about 2 dozen in various styles and lengths. I will probably pass them on to them to a friend who I know could use them.

Comment

UTAH, I DID 1 BETTER. I SPOKE TO THE CHIEF BUILDING INSPECTOR FOR THE CITY OF LOS ANGELES ON A NATIONAL RADIO PROGRAM CALL IN. I COMPLAINED THAT THE RESIDENTIAL INSPECTORS ( COMBINATION INSPECTORS 2 UNITS OR LESS) DON'T KNOW OR ENFORCE THE PLUMBING CODES, OR OTHER CODES FOR THAT MATTER. WELL AS YOU CAN IMANGINE, HE TOOK MY # OFF AIR AND SAID HE'LL DISCUSS IT WITH ME THE NEXT DAY. 6 WEEKS LATER HIS ASSISTANT CALLED ME OUT OF THE BLUE. WE SPOKE FOR 30 MINUTES. BASICALLY THE CITY DOESN'T HAVE THE MANPOWER OR TIME TO PROPERLY TRAIN THESE COMBINATION STYLE INSPECTORS. AS LONG AS THE BUILDING DOESN'T FALL IN AN EARTHQUAKE THEY ARE DOING THEIR JOB.
      PROBLEM IS THE SYSTEM IS FULL OF MISTAKES. WRONG FITTINGS, VENTING, GRADE, SIZING. HAVE NEVER SEEN AN INSPECTOR GET DIRTY OR CRAWL. WISH I COULD SAY THAT ABOUT MY JOB.
      THE COMMERCIAL PLUMBING INSPECTORS ARE AN EXCEPTION. THEY TYPICALLY ARE FELLOW TRADESMEN THAT KNOW RIGHT FROM WRONG, BEEN THERE, DONE THAT.
      RICK.

Comment

I don't know if you've ever worked with Lee Clifton or not. Lee is the Seniot Plumbing Inspector/Trainer for the City of Los Angeles. Lee has expressed some of the same concerns about time restraints to teach new inspectors.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

UTAH, I KNOW MR. CLIFTON VERY WELL. HAD HIM ON MANY COMMERCIAL JOBS YEARS AGO. I SEE HIM EVERY YEAR NOW AT THE PHCC TRADE SHOW IN POMONA, CA. THE NEXT ONE IS NOW IN JUNE. NO LONGER IN FEB. HE IS A VERY GOOD AND KNOWLEDGEABLE PLUMBING INSPECTOR. VERY SHARP.
          NEXT TIME YOU TALK OR SEE HIM, TELL HIM HI FOR ME. MIGHT NOT KNOW THE NAME WITHOUT THE FACE, BUT TRY.
          RICK.

[ 07-25-2005, 12:34 AM: Message edited by: PLUMBER RICK ]

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK:
            UTAH, I KNOW MR. CLIFTON VERY WELL. HAD HIM ON MANY COMMERCIAL JOBS YEARS AGO. I SEE HIM EVERY YEAR NOW AT THE PHCC TRADE SHOW IN POMONA, CA. THE NEXT ONE IS NOW IN JUNE. NO LONGER IN FEB. HE IS A VERY GOOD AND KNOWLEDGEABLE PLUMBING INSPECTOR. VERY SHARP.
            NEXT TIME YOU TALK OR SEE HIM, TELL HIM HI FOR ME. MIGHT NOT KNOW THE NAME WITHOUT THE FACE, BUT TRY.
            RICK.
            Will do. Are you a member of the PHCC-GLAA?

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

MARK, I'M NOT A MEMBER OF AN ORGANIZATION THAT PREACHES FLAT RATE, RIP OFF. I'VE BEEN TO 1 OF THEIR DINNER MEETINGS AND WAS TREATED LIKE AN OUTCAST. THE PEOPLE THAT CAME LATE ENDED UP SITTING AT MY TABLE. I WAS 1 OF THE FIRST ONES THERE. IT WAS AMAZING TO HEAR HOW THEY SPOKE ABOUT HOW MUCH THEY CHARGE FOR THE SIMPLEST OF THINGS. OR HOW THEY GO THERE FOR A SIMPLE CALL AND END UP WITH A LIST OF A DOZEN THINGS THAT NEED ATTENTION.
              KEEP IN MIND THAT THEY ARE NOT OUT FOR THE CUSTOMERS BEST INTEREST, THEY ARE OUT FOR THIER OWN GREED. THE MORE THEY SELL AT INFLATED RATES, THE MORE THEY POCKET. THIS STARTS FROM THE OWNER, DOWN TO THEIR UNDER-QUALIFIED "TECHS". NOTICED I DIDN'T SAY PLUMBER. MOST OF THEM DON'T HOLD A JOURNEYMANS LICENSE.
              LIKE YOU MENTIONED IN AN EARLIER POST, YOU DIDN'T PAY COMISSIONS, AS THIS LED TO A RIP OFF?
              HOPEFULLY THERE ARE STILL SOME HONEST, HARDWORKING, KNOWLEDGEABLE PLUMBERS AND CONTRACTORS STILL OUT THERE. SPEAKING WITH A HANDFULL THAT REGULARY POST HERE, SOUNDS LIKE THERE IS. AS FOR THE OTHERS THAT I REFERRED TO EARLIER, HOPE YOU CAN SLEEP AT NIGHT.
              RICK.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK:
                MARK, I'M NOT A MEMBER OF AN ORGANIZATION THAT PREACHES FLAT RATE, RIP OFF. I'VE BEEN TO 1 OF THEIR DINNER MEETINGS AND WAS TREATED LIKE AN OUTCAST. THE PEOPLE THAT CAME LATE ENDED UP SITTING AT MY TABLE. I WAS 1 OF THE FIRST ONES THERE. IT WAS AMAZING TO HEAR HOW THEY SPOKE ABOUT HOW MUCH THEY CHARGE FOR THE SIMPLEST OF THINGS. OR HOW THEY GO THERE FOR A SIMPLE CALL AND END UP WITH A LIST OF A DOZEN THINGS THAT NEED ATTENTION.
                KEEP IN MIND THAT THEY ARE NOT OUT FOR THE CUSTOMERS BEST INTEREST, THEY ARE OUT FOR THIER OWN GREED. THE MORE THEY SELL AT INFLATED RATES, THE MORE THEY POCKET. THIS STARTS FROM THE OWNER, DOWN TO THEIR UNDER-QUALIFIED "TECHS". NOTICED I DIDN'T SAY PLUMBER. MOST OF THEM DON'T HOLD A JOURNEYMANS LICENSE.
                LIKE YOU MENTIONED IN AN EARLIER POST, YOU DIDN'T PAY COMISSIONS, AS THIS LED TO A RIP OFF?
                HOPEFULLY THERE ARE STILL SOME HONEST, HARDWORKING, KNOWLEDGEABLE PLUMBERS AND CONTRACTORS STILL OUT THERE. SPEAKING WITH A HANDFULL THAT REGULARY POST HERE, SOUNDS LIKE THERE IS. AS FOR THE OTHERS THAT I REFERRED TO EARLIER, HOPE YOU CAN SLEEP AT NIGHT.
                RICK.
                Sounds like you're barking Rick. The subject was threading iron pipe. Oh.....this is different. Now it affects your business. You really should be more sensitive to other people's posts.

In the commmercial end LA inspectors are the best, in my opinion.

Chill out a little.
                the dog

Comment

DOG, YOU'RE RIGHT. I DID COMPLIMENT THE COMMERCIAL INSPECTORS. THIS DISCUSSION WENT SIDEWAYS WHEN MARK AND I WERE COMPARING NOTES. LOOKS LIKE HE STARTED A NEW POST. LETS SEE.
                  RICK.

Comment

Working...
                  X