Is this safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this safe?

Hi Guys, I had a plumper come to hide the cold and hot water pipes in the wall....he basically cut through the studs. This is a half bathroom in the bottom floor (there is a second floor....there is another apartment on the other side of the wall.
    is this safe? Can we Put the dry wall, or the whole think needs to be reinforced ?
    thank you,

I suggest you call the plumber and get your money back.

You was robbed.
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

Comment

I bet No permit was applied for ....
      The guy claiming to be a plumber is a hack ...
      No where near what the building code delineates! especially in California!!!!!
      Your home is now totally unsafe from earthquakes and
      your homeowner's insurance is now void!

You need to call a contractor to get the right permits and fix your house
      before it topples over!!!!!

Cactus Man

Comment

No not safe. A certain amount of drilling though studs is allowed - for example what you had before. Usually you need to drill in the center and the diameter of the pipe cannot exceed a certain value of the stud width.

If this is not a load bearing wall then it's not as serious but if it is a load bearing wall then the structure has been weakened by doing this. The concentration of studs in the corner could be there for a reason if it is a load bearing wall based on the original design and load bearing calcs. If it is a load bearing wall then it will need to be repaired and the pipes removed.

There may have been other ways to conceal the pipe that you could have thought of. I faced a similar situation when remodeling my bathrooms. For me the issue was inside the walk in showed so I made a little footrest - a square structure that I designed into the shower which looked decorative but primarily was there to conceal pipe.

Comment

The wall needs to reinforced.... those notches far exceed basic building code.. as for a remedy I would certainly bring this to the installers ( plumbers ) attention. I would seek recommendations from a structural engineer or experienced framer who knows LA's building code.

Comment

Beautiful , fkn beautiful
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I'm not a professional plumber, but how did you find this guy? That is the worst hack job I have ever seen. I'm not in the trades, but worked with my Dad (who was a licensed plumber) when I was a kid. No one just saws away studs like that, there's practically nothing left of them, with no serious vertical load support and it looks like anyone could just kick in that back wall on the right.

And the soldering job... what a mess. I learned to solder pipe when I was in my very early teens and if I had ever done a job that sloppily, my Dad would have kicked my a$$.

Ridiculous how people can be in the business with obviously NO talent or qualifications!

I think you need to get a professional in there to fix this immediately; AND, I think you need to report this guy. He shouldn't be allowed to do this kind of sloppy (and dangerous) work.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by Metalico2 View Post
                Hi Guys, I had a plumper come to hide the cold and hot water pipes in the wall....he basically cut through the studs. This is a half bathroom in the bottom floor (there is a second floor....there is another apartment on the other side of the wall.
                is this safe? Can we Put the dry wall, or the whole think needs to be reinforced ?
                thank you,
                That's what happens when you hire a "plumper"

You mentioned it's for an apartment. was it the building owner who hired them or you?

I rather doubt that the person who did the work was a licensed Plumber or contractor. If so, they should have their licensed revoked. Good news is when they have to open up the entire wall to replace all those useless 2x4's, you'll have a pretty much new bathroom and pipes in the wall.

A permit would not have been required for a simple pipe repair such as what was done. But since what they did was destroy the wall integrity and the integrity of the structure. A permit is going to be required to replace all those damaged weight bearing studs.

You now have next to nothing holding up the load from above.

I sure hope it was someone with a license and insurance. cause this is not going to be cheap to repair. Good news is they didn't burn down the building soldering the lines. Bad news is, it would have been covered by insurance. Hope you're the tenant and not the owner.

I see you're in Los Angeles. in a commercial building, you will have real inspectors, not BMI inspectors. They will eat them alive.

Digging the Gal nipple too. Not to mention the soldering and piping work.

Good luck and please follow up. This will be a fun one to follow.

I have a couple questions that I am curious to find out.

Who hired them?

Are they a handyman or a Plumber?

Why did they move the lines after so many years of being exposed like they were?

Rick.
                Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 01-11-2020, 03:15 AM.
                phoebe it is

Comment

• blue_can
                  blue_can commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Missed the "plumper" in the original post - lol. Other than hacking the studs I did not realize how bad the actual plumbing job was until I zoomed into the photo

Proof that you get what you pay for, and sometimes a little extra. :-(

The lowest bidder is not always the cheapest in the end.
                "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
                  ... If this is not a load bearing wall then it's not as serious, but if it is a load bearing wall then the structure has been weakened by doing this ...
                  I've always wondered about that ... is there a clear way to tell if it's load bearing by looking at it, the size or position, or markings?

Comment

Originally posted by AverageHomeowner View Post

I've always wondered about that ... is there a clear way to tell if it's load bearing by looking at it, the size or position, or markings?
                    No not always easy to tell. General rules are - outer walls are almost always load bearing. Inner walls that run perpendicular to joists particularity near the mid-point are also much more likely to be load bearing. If the wall is running parallel to the joists - especially if the sole plate is not directly under s joist - it is more likely to be a partition wall.

You can analyze the entire structure to get a better picture but it can be time consuming . TJI Weyerhauser - the engineered joist manufacturer - has a book on doing load calcs which is also helpful in understanding an existing structure. They also have free software you can download to help size joists and studs. You can play around with that if you are interested.

Comment

Here is is link to the Forte software I mentioned.

https://www.weyerhaeuser.com/woodpro...orte-software/

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post

No, not always easy to tell ... You can analyze the entire structure to get a better picture but it can be time consuming ...
                        Thanks. It seems harder than it should be to make this important determination. You would think that with all the construction codes for so many different items, they would have required some visual markings or coloring on the studs/beams to indicate load bearing.

Comment

Originally posted by AverageHomeowner View Post

Thanks. It seems harder than it should be to make this important determination. You would think that with all the construction codes for so many different items, they would have required some visual markings or coloring on the studs/beams to indicate load bearing.
                          Yes agreed. You may be able to pull up the plans for your home at your county office. Not sure if it will show this detail and other important info. that you might want. Th problem with plans is that it may not show what the builder actually did and whether they deviated from the plans.

Comment

Working...
                          X