dishwasher diagnostics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dishwasher diagnostics

On Monday I noticed water under dishwasher and adjacent kitchen cabinet. I shut off water to dishwasher, unplugged it, disconnected the in and out lines and removed the dishwasher to the patio. I cleaned up water and am in process of filing claim with insurance and i have hired a water restoration company because i have damage to kitchen cabinets and flooring. My question is this - the insurance company wants to know exactly what caused the leak and are not necessarily convinced it was the dishwasher. they want me to hire a plumber to diagnose dishwasher and plumbing in kitchen. Is the diagnostic of a dishwasher something a plumber would do? The dishwasher is an expensive one (900 dollars)and only two years old, but if i call the appliance company to come out and diagnose, i believe they would be biased and say it was not their dishwasher that caused the problem. Any suggestions?

This is tough to arm chair troubleshoot for you.

What brand is the dishwasher?
    Who did the initial installation?

With the dishwasher removed can you still hook up water using a garden hose as the supply and
    electricity? Run a simple hose for the drain and verify the leak.
    By running the unit you then can determine if the leak is actually from the dishwasher
    from a blogged drain or bad pump?

Is it possible the water connection in the kitchen failed?
    If the water is dirty maybe a bad drain line?

You should have kept the dishwasher in the kitchen, cleaned up everything and call for
    warranty service....

Simply turning off the supply water to the dishwasher would eliminate additional water
    in the kitchen.

You now have no way to troubleshoot the supply and drain lines in the kitchen!

I do not know if a plumber would diagnose a dishwasher. For that you need to call
    your appliance store for a service tech to check the dishwasher.

Please come back here with the results as others may find it helpful.

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by sunrisejim View Post
      On Monday I noticed water under dishwasher and adjacent kitchen cabinet. I shut off water to dishwasher, unplugged it, disconnected the in and out lines and removed the dishwasher to the patio. I cleaned up water and am in process of filing claim with insurance and i have hired a water restoration company because i have damage to kitchen cabinets and flooring. My question is this - the insurance company wants to know exactly what caused the leak and are not necessarily convinced it was the dishwasher. they want me to hire a plumber to diagnose dishwasher and plumbing in kitchen. Is the diagnostic of a dishwasher something a plumber would do? The dishwasher is an expensive one (900 dollars)and only two years old, but if i call the appliance company to come out and diagnose, i believe they would be biased and say it was not their dishwasher that caused the problem. Any suggestions?
      Yes In this case I would call a plumber and have them write you up a service call and they can put exactly what you said on an invoice. The plumbers is supposed to verify that the water is hooked up to dishwasher and no leaks are present. Therefore if this was done you have a bad dishwasher. After a dishwasher has leaked I would not reccomend installing that dishwasher back. When you do get a new dishwasher make sure to install atleast one or two moisture alarms underneath the dishwasher. Some dishwashers now are comming with a tray underneath and if it detects water it will immediately shut off.
      An appliance company on the other hand could tell you the same thing and even if it was there dishwasher they or there insurance would not be responsible for any damages expecially after two years.
      I argue the part that in order to set dishwashers you need to be a plumber. Only certified plumbers are supposed to be connecting drains and active water lines.

*This is why lowes home depot etc will try everything to get of there 69.00 -99.00 installation because if something happens they could flood the house and be responsible.

Comment

I would call the appliance repair man and have it fixed more than likely that's where leak is in your dishwasher ( since it stop leaking after removal unless it was at the supply line connection or the drain connection at the sink... which would be obvious. ) most higher end dishwashers carry a warranty that exceeds 2 years of course all vary. The insurance co wants to know (before paying any claim) the root cause of the leak was it a slow leak or a flash flood (burst hose ) ect.

I doubt they pay for a new dishwasher... so unless you want to buy another your going to need it fixed. As to who can install a dishwasher in your State read.

http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr...s_2013-004.pdf

Let us know how you made out. Scott

Comment

Thank you very much for the replies and advice. All good information! So here is how it turned out so far. An excellent plumber showed up today and checked out the dishwasher while it was out on the back patio. I was not home but he called me later to fill me in. BTW, he said it did take him a while to piece together a bunch of fittings to connect it to the outside hose bib. After getting it connected and running it, he diagnosed it as the seal between motor and agitator leaking. He said it had probably been leaking for a while because of some rust under the dishwasher. It is a Kitchen Aid dishwasher, i bought two years ago and i have the extended warranty on it. Not sure where to go from here with the dishwasher. I will probably treat this as a separate issue and deal with it after the insurance claim is taken care of. I can't imagine what would make the seal go bad other than I seem to have a lot of chlorine in my water. I definitely agree about having a moisture alarm and a tray underneath. I also would agree with the idea of only a licensed plumber being permitted to connect a dishwasher. This one was connected by the delivery man but in this case I think it was connected properly. Any experiences with Kitchen Aid dishwashers I would like to hear about it. Thanks and i really appreciate the comments and advice.

Comment

Working...
          X