Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coronavirus, what prevention steps are you taking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coronavirus, what prevention steps are you taking?

Plumbers can and do get into some nasty stuff. What steps are you taking to prevent infection?

Here in our county, there have been no reports YET! But we are only a couple hundred miles from the big city and we do have a university here that is a favorite of city students. We also have a couple of major industries with international travelers; so I suspect it's coming, IF not already here and not yet reported.

Our main thing is to keep our hands clean and not touch your face, just like every news outlet is telling us... BUT, I'm not overly comfortable with that. I'm retired and my wife and I are out every day for some reason or another and frankly you can't go into any store, especially Walmart (I've referred to it as "Germ-mart" for years), where people aren't coughing, sneezing, etc. While I've always used 'wipes' that are available in most store entry areas, today I started using disposable nitrile gloves as well as the hand sanitizer that I normally carry during the flu season.

Problem I have is that the information about this is still lacking and the White House is more about not telling us and keeping information restricted because they don't want to look bad. I've read a couple of News articles and reports that say that the virus can live on surfaces for up to seven days! If that is true, then I don't see how we can protect ourselves with just washing our hands. Seven days would mean that someone could have it, touch the shelves and can goods, clothes, and even the disposables that we buy and that we'd bring those items home. Seven days means that it's on the pavement we walk and even though I change my shoes when I come home, it would still be on the stairs that I walk back up in my house shoes, thus spreading everywhere.

We haven't taken to masks, as they say that doesn't do any good. But then you see a lot of people wearing mask, especially internationally. We have a lot of Chinese students at our local university and living in my neighborhood. Hopefully they have been here for quite some time and didn't go home for spring break!

The one good thing I've heard is that it takes about a week from time of exposure to having the symptoms and that in most cases it's much like the flu and you're done with it within two or three weeks. The bad thing of course is that it can also be quite contagious and deadly, especially if you're elderly or in poor health.

The sad part of it all is that we, as a country are near the bottom of the list of industrial nations who are prepared. But of course that gets political quickly, so I won't go there. So, keep washing your hands and stay out of crowded places.

BTW, the stores here have been pretty well cleaned out of any kind of cleaning supplies and disinfectant.... and have been for more than a week!

CWS

Comment

CWS what country are you in now? I thought it was the USA. The CDC and almost every state has information on their website. There are over 30 deaths in the USA so far, and over one thousand confirmed infected by the CDC. That number WILL grow.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ses-in-us.html
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Bob D.; 03-13-2020, 04:13 AM.
      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

Comment

Bob,

I said, "county", not 'country', ("Here in our county, there have been no reports YET!"). I'm in Broome county, NY State, good ol' U.S. of A.

We did have a false report yesterday, as a state official listed a student who was from out county, but was in fact at a college in Albany. The discrepancy happened because the school gave out the 'home address' and not the campus address.

We also had a confirmed case in an adjoining county... it is only a matter of time of course! But we are well stocked here, having done so three weeks ago. Yesterday though we noticed that things were pretty cleaned out with lots of empty shelves. We are now about to limit our daily travels and we're going to skip the local library sale tomorrow.

Hope that you and yours stay healthy and well and that goes for everyone here and elsewhere.

CWS

Comment

• Bob D.
          Bob D. commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry, 5AM eyes not that wide I guess.

My wife and I went out this this afternoon to mail some letters and I decided to stop by Harbor Freight to pick up a box of Nitrile gloves. The box I have is a couple years old now is I didn't think I had that many left, especially if this virus stretches into the summer.

While they had plenty, I noticed that they had put a limit on sales. One of the other customers commented that she had been out shopping at the major grocery stores and things looked disastrous to her. Walmart, Wegman's and Weis were all out of toilet paper, paper towels, and disinfectant of any kind. She also said that even basic can-goods, bread, and, at least at Wegman's they had no meat. (I didn't check that out, but Wegman's probably has the largest meat department and deli in the county!)

I told her to go to the dollar store, right across the parking lot there, as they had an abundance of cleaning disinfectant, as we were just there to buy bottle for the car. I had asked that clerk about hand sanitizer, but she said they "can't keep it on the shelves", that morning they got in several cartons of the stuff and it was gone by 8:00 AM... "people standing in line!"

I don't know, guess people are really scared and going overboard IMO. I've been carrying around the same 1.25 oz bottle all winter and it's still better than half full. On the home front, the pantry is well stocked with probably a month's food supply, as well as paper, cleaner, etc. I may come up short on chocolate though, that will make survival a tough one!

Seriously though, it still a bit disarming as I've yet to get a clear statement on how long this virus lives on surfaces. Tonight on CBS News, Nora O'Donnell asked a lead Doctor, say that she occasionally opens a door by pulling her sleeve down to act as a protector. His response was that might be fine for the moment, but then she'd be carrying the germs on her sleeve which would then get on her clothing, return to her hands, or anything else it touched.

Made be think, how many products we buy that may be contaminated, and we bring into our home... OR, how about the mail, newspaper, magazine, etc. IF that's the case, we'd all be constantly at risk once the area receives the virus!

CWS

Comment

This morning listening to NPR they said the WHO has stated the virus can live for up to 72 hours on metal surfaces like stainless steel under IDEAL conditions.

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/13/81530...ir-on-surfaces

Last week they (the WHO) said it can survive for a couple days on paper money.
          "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

Comment

Simple washing your hands with soap and water..cold is OK but hot is better.
            When washing your hands be sure to wash your finger tips, nail areas, and thumbs not just your palms
            and back of your hands! Medical schools teach Doctors how to "properly" wash their hands.

Soap and water is far better than those alcohol based hands cleaners as they dry your skin
            and many people have a bad reaction to using hand cleaners a lot!

Now how many of you never wash your hands when leaving the bathroom? So now you worry?

Now let's talk about toilet paper.....what does that have to do with the corona virus???????
            I understand paper towels and facial tissue [Kleenex] but toilet paper?
            unless you want to kiss my butt?

Bottled water???? Again...we live in the USA where our drinking water is fine.
            Most bottling plants use city water. Here in the Phoenix area they have a large
            water bottling plant..Nestle's I think...They take millions of gallons of city water and filter it, then
            bottle it, give it a fancy name and sell if for $$$$$

I think it's nuts to have this bottling plant in Phoenix Metro since we always hear in the
            news we are in the desert and we are in a drought so save water....then they increase our water bills
            to supplement the reduced water usage as we are trying to be good citizens....[rant over]

Install a reverse osmosis system in your home and your tap water will be just fine.

The panic is out of control.......for those of you in a true panic move to Idaho
            see the map from above no one there is sick!

How did Alaska get the virus?

How many of you recall the swine flu back around 2009????

Relax drink a beer but avoid drinking a Corona beer as many people will panic.

Cactus Man

Comment

• Bob D.
              Bob D. commented
              Editing a comment
              "no one there is sick!"

that's because there's no one there. :-)

Rank - State - Population/Sq. Mile
              #44.....Idaho.........20
              #1.......NJ.........1218
              #11.....CA...........251
              #33.....AZ.............60
              #50.....AK...............1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lation_density
              Last edited by Bob D.; 03-14-2020, 12:52 PM.

People in my demographic area based on the empty shelves on paper products and disinfectants , water ect must be in panic mode..... as a drain cleaner I already take the steps to protect myself from all kinds of things that lurk in sewers..... get all my shots, wear disposable gloves, eye protection have plenty of hand sanitizer on hand and full body protection on hand if need be worn.

I got a mobile phone for my 92 yrs old mother ( for communication ) in a nursing home in which have because of the outbreak have not allowed any visitation for the next 30 days. From what I read they have not determined if in fact the chances percentage wise you can become infected with active COVID-19 on surfaces.

Comment

One of the concerns I have is that the stories regarding where and how long this virus will last are 'all over the place'. A week or so ago I heard that the virus can last up to seven days on hard surfaces like wood or metal. Then, like Bob mentioned above, NPR and the WHO are stating it as 72 hours. But yesterday afternoon, one medical research doctor said it can last up to nine days, and a few hours later, in the evening, another Doctor stated the 72 hour story, only he said that was on paper and cardboard. He also alluded to washing your food cartons and can goods when you bring them home from the store! Duh, what about your clothes and you shoes, and does that mean your postal mail is a cause for concern? REALLY? I guess what we need to do is simply wash our hands often, try to stay out of crowds use some common sense cautions and cleanliness... and not panic (it does no good anyway).

Can't leave this without mentioning the hoarders and the profiteers. While we can't do much about the former, I'm all for prosecuting the latter if possible. I read a story on my fire tablet this morning that was posted by the MSN from a NYTimes article (https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/he...1blvS?ocid=se2), where some jerk and his brother ran all over Tennessee recently buying up every bottle of Sanitizer they could put their greedy hands on, basically cleaning out the supply. Now the guy has something like 17,700 bottles of the stuff he hoped to make a fortune on, but Amazon has shut him down! He sold 300 bottles from $8 to $70 a piece, before Amazon pulled his account!

I ran into something similar a week ago when I was looking on Amazon for some sanitizer wipes. My local store had them a few days before that was a package of four containers for $10.99, but my wife didn't like the scent. So I went on Amazon to see if there was possibly another non-scented product. While I didn't find one, the same product was listed at $300, plus $100 shipping! It makes me wonder what is wrong with us; is it all of humanity, or just us Americans? Is our thirst for profit such that we loose our sense of human decency?!

CWS

Comment

• SlimTim
                SlimTim commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, it is all humanity. Americans are just particularly gullible.

As a society, we have gone down the crapper for the most part. MOST of our population has no inkling of biology, much less epidemiology, and do not have the common sense of a ground squirrel, and this goes double for the buffoons in DC.
              Swine flu had 12,400 deaths in the US last year, influenza 32,400 last year. Do you remember ANY of the nonsense we are seeing right now last year?
              To say the panic we are seeing now is overblown would be an understatement. Gives some credence as to the root cause of this would be this is an election year, and ALL schools and Universities are run by left wingnuts, to some extent.
              The latest, shutting down restaurants and bars is an economic killer.

Comment

We have not gone as far as shutting down restaurants/bars here in my part of Canada (yet) but the doughnut shop chain I go to has stopped serving food inside using china mugs or plates. You now get your coffee and doughnut in a takeout cup and paper bag the same as if you went thru the drivethru.

Comment

I wrote the above too soon, Tim Hortons doughnuts just announced no indoor seating starting Tuesday. Drive thru and takeout only now.

Comment

Originally posted by nkyrental View Post
                    Swine flu had 12,400 deaths in the US last year, influenza 32,400 last year. Do you remember ANY of the nonsense we are seeing right now last year?
                    To say the panic we are seeing now is overblown would be an understatement. Gives some credence as to the root cause of this would be this is an election year, and ALL schools and Universities are run by left wingnuts, to some extent.
                    The latest, shutting down restaurants and bars is an economic killer.

"According to records,In total, the CDC estimates that up to 42.9 million people got sick during the 2018-2019 flu season, 647,000 people were hospitalized and 61,200 died. That's fairly on par with a typical season, and well below the CDC's 2017-2018 estimates of 48.8 million illnesses, 959,000 hospitalizations and 79,400 deaths." https://www.google.com/search?q=2019...hrome&ie=UTF-8

According to the World Heath Organization, "August 2010, the World Health Organization declared the swine flu pandemic officially over." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swine_influenza

SO, That was NOT the swine flu!

What you appear to be citing is Trump's spin to take the focus off of his negligent leadership and slow response: https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/tr...pandemic-spin/

The facts are that for the annual flu season, there are vaccines available and they are widely advertised and promoted. For whatever reasons, we have a large number of people in our country who are too willing to cling to conspiracy theories and/or are just plain lax for whatever their reasons are. THEY don't get flu shots!

With the current "Coronavirus" there is NO vaccine available. It also is many, many times more contagious than the normal seasonal flu, and is especially more contagious than the "swine flu" that you mention.

I would not normally respond to such statements as yours, but you made it political in your reference of "left-wing nuts"...THIS is not a political cause, nor is it one to be twisted as such. YES, there is serious economic impact and it is true that people are unduly panicking. My county has NO reported cases, yet the stores are being overwhelmed and people are buying everything that they can grab in that panic. But why is that?

A large part is because we can no longer believe a President who lies constantly, blown off the whole thing as a hoax, and has done everything possible to degrade CDC and related organizations and has eliminated the "pandemic" team that was previously established. Yes, he has TODAY made corrections, but he has also told our States that we are "on our own" in the effort to procure needed supplies. He also has stated that he accepts no responsibility.

If you're going to make a politically biased post, please at least try to get your facts straight!

(To the moderators, I realize I may well have overstepped the 'non-political' rules with the last two paragraphs, and if so, please advise and we both might modify our posts; or, feel free to remove both of our posts if you feel it necessary!)

CWS
                    Last edited by CWSmith; 03-16-2020, 07:40 PM.

Comment

• Bob D.
                      Bob D. commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The Wikipedia article on swine flu is a good read and a relevant backgrounder to todays' situation, have a look.

The original post was what precautions are we taking. It seems most people here in Memphis are walking around with their heads up their a**. Even though schools have closed and most restaurants, my favorite coffee shop only does drive through and they won't take cash and you have to swipe your credit card yourself, 99% of the people are not wearing any protection, including the grocery store cashiers, stockers, deli servers!. I on the other hand, have worn disposable gloves and a mask since Monday in every home I work in and every store, bank, etc that I go in to. My wife has heart complications so I don't want to bring anything home to her. A majority of my work lately though, and thankfully, is outside turning irrigation systems on for the season and testing the rp devices.
                    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

• CWSmith
                      CWSmith commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Please excuse my ignorance of the subject, but what are "rp devices" ?

CWS

• BadgerDave
                      BadgerDave commented
                      Editing a comment
                      CWS, layman's terms; a type of water back flow preventer. RP actually stands for reduced pressure zone device.

• CWSmith
                      CWSmith commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Dave.

They are very serious about it here to the point that if you don't comply, even on irrigation systems that aren't in use, they will shut off water to the residence until the device is tested and then charge a $50 fee to restore the water.
                    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X