Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water hammer and kink in artic, pressure at 60psi?

Is there anyone in here know what or why this happen in my artic? every now and then like every hour or so i hear kink in the artic but it is not rat, it is pipe hit against rafter but i screw it down real tight with pipe strap, my water pressure is only 60psi , this happen when no one is using the water in the house. I turn the pressure regulator down to 60psi and put gauge on it, the line have about 20% of soft copper line , 30% of 3/4 copper line and 50% of 1/2
    copper, my guess is the soft copper line that make all this noise but not sure , can anybody help thank.

There is a lot of unknowns to your questions. It may be tahat no one is using the water but a water closet is cycling. Is the noise you are hearing more of a banging noise or a ticking noise?

Your water lines will transfer noise throughout the entire system. You could have poping in the water heater and it is making noise in the attic. What are you strapping the pipes down with and against what? You may have a problem which can be solved with a hammer arrestor or you may just need to clean your water heater.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

ok thank , i strap the line with the copper strap, it is strap to the joist and rafter (2 by 4), the sound is like banging noise and ticking noise, and even make little noise when someone turn on water at the farest end from water heater, It dont make any noise near kitchen sink or toilet near water heater. I try to shut off water to the house from street and turn on water to let water out on all faulcet and sink , but didnt drain water from heater yet, i might do that then.

Comment

The ticking sound will either be from expansion and contraction of the pipes which you cannot do much about or sediment in your water heater tank.

The banging noise is water hammer. If you can imagine what happens to your garden hose in the yard when you turn your water on your pipes are doing the same thing. When a fast acting valve opens or closes your pipes jump and bang on framing members.

As for strapping your pipes with copper straps they are lilkely to tight to the joist. Sometimes you need some isolation between the pipes and the joist. The straps should be tight enough to hold without binding and you should have some isolation between the pipe and the joist.

A plastic clamp which works well with copper is an Acusto-Plumb clamp.

http://www.lspproducts.com/SpecSheet...lumbSystem.pdf

Good luck - Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

jott,

Do you have a check valve on your meter? Do you know how old your pressure regulator is and what brand?

From your post it looks like it may have to do with water expansion.
          Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

I wonder if the source of this noise is mostly from the hot water line.

Gotta allow for expansion and contraction of the pipe due to changes in temperature. If you try to anchor the line down everywhere it will not work. Physics will win out every time. I have seen 4x4x1/2" tube steel anchors (6" process pipe welded to the TS which is welded to the embedded 1" steel plate) which were welded to concrete embeds literally ripped apart from expansion of the pipe with a 100 Deg F rise in temp.

In long pipe runs anchor at certain points and then place guides or 2-way restraints to allow for pipe growth. Use guides that will allow pipe to slide through them without binding. The slippage from binding is what makes the ticking sounds as the pipe temp changes. Properly sized water hammer arrestors at the ends of long pipe runs and near equipment with quick shut-offs like a washing machine or dishwasher (solenoid valves) will help too.

Comment

I did empty the water heater and still no good, I dont have the check valve on the system, but the water reducer is brand new bought from home center, about 6 month ago. I strap the copper down real tight , and i try to pull the pipe up or move it left and right but cant, the plumber install new water copper line just 2 year ago, and all that time i hear this sound.

Comment

"Properly sized water hammer arrestors at the ends of long pipe runs and near equipment with quick shut-offs like a washing machine or dishwasher (solenoid valves) will help too."

Arrestors could also be teed off supply risers to all angle stops to kitchen/bath/laundry sinks, toilets, anything that draws water and has a valve. Strapping pipes is often the only thing you can do after that. Sometimes replacing the fill valves in toilets will reduce water hammer when they are opened.

Also, since you say that some piping was replaced, it is possible whoever did it reduced the diameter down wrongly, too quickly or there are too many sharp 90's, etc, in the system.

Comment

the ticking noise is from expansion. the pipe should be isolated from the wood with either sicky felt or the plastic isolators. if you loosen the straps too much you will create a potential water hammer noise.
                  when i did new construction we always used the sticky felt between the pipe and the strap. this even went for waste and gas pipes too. this was required in any multi-unit structure. not on single family homes. although i did it on everything.
                  water hammer is more of a bang when a fast acting valve is closed. ticking is a pipe that is trying to expand and is rubbing too tight to the strap or structure.

rick.

Comment

Working...
                  X