Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Full port ball valve direction matters or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full port ball valve direction matters or not?

I need to install a 3/4" full port ball valve and I would like to know if it matters which direction I install it in.

The valve itself does not have a flow direction indicator, and I don't see how a ball valve direction matters unlike a gate valve.

The valve will be in a vertical position. with the copper coming out from the ground, I would like to have the ball valve's handle point UP while ON, to install the valve as high off the ground as possible.

However I saw this somewhere on the internet: "Ball valves are designed to be opened by rotating the lever handle in a counterclockwise direction, and closing in a clockwise direction. The handle indicates the ball port direction."

If I want the valve to open by turning counterclockwise, then the handle has to point DOWN instead of UP while ON.

How important it is to open by rotating counterclockwise?

You might find helpful information here. But if you are using a different brand valve be cautious about applying one manufacturers product data to another brand. You can probably find equivalent information for your particular valve online with a quick search.

Where I worked in the past we used mostly Apollo valves, so that is where I checked for information on your question. In most cases I believe we installed the valve with the handle to the pressure side of the valve, but in some applications due to space limitations or congestion (such as tight quarters inside an instrument cabinet or close proximity to other piping) that was not possible. Since there was no requirement to install a ball valve in a particular direction, there was no need to document this deviation from the unofficial practice of valve handle to the pressure side.

Your quote about valve handle rotation to me only seems relevant to how you will need to install the valve to achieve the handle position you prefer when the valve is OPEN.

For the IOM for the Apollo 70-100 valve series referenced below, Apollo says it does not matter in which direction the valve is installed. But this is a two piece valve which is the most common body type for screwed or sweated valves I believe.

"Standard Apollo ball valves are bi-directional. They may be installed in either vertical or horizontal pipe runs without regard to flow direction or stem orientation."

70-100 Series :: Apollo Valves
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006
    "?ǝɹɐ sɹǝƃuıɟ ɹnoʎ ǝɹǝɥʍ ʍouʞ noʎ op `ʍɐs ǝlqɐʇ ɐ s,ʇı"

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

Comment

Originally posted by miamicuse View Post
      I need to install a 3/4" full port ball valve and I would like to know if it matters which direction I install it in.

The valve itself does not have a flow direction indicator, and I don't see how a ball valve direction matters unlike a gate valve.

The valve will be in a vertical position. with the copper coming out from the ground, I would like to have the ball valve's handle point UP while ON, to install the valve as high off the ground as possible.

However I saw this somewhere on the internet: "Ball valves are designed to be opened by rotating the lever handle in a counterclockwise direction, and closing in a clockwise direction. The handle indicates the ball port direction."

If I want the valve to open by turning counterclockwise, then the handle has to point DOWN instead of UP while ON.

How important it is to open by rotating counterclockwise?
      Shouldn't matter which orientation you install it in. You are mistaken about the handle action changing from ccw to cw depending on the orientation of intallation, it will always remain the same.

Comment

Working...
      X