Securing PEX tubing in a crawlspace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Securing PEX tubing in a crawlspace

I am planning to run some new PEX tubing to replace my existing polybutylene pipes that are living on borrowed time.

The existing pipes are in the crawlspace and the new PEX will be as well. The new PEX will all be ran to the garage where a manifold will be installed for individual fixture control.

I plan to secure the PEX tubing to the bottom of the 2X10 floor joists that are spaced 16" apart. The piping will be running perpendicular to the joists. After doing some research I see two approaches being used.

(1) Use talons that secures each tubing individually to say every other joist or every other third joist.

(2) Use a PVC pipe "chase" if I am running a group of pipes one point A to point B. For example, from the garage I will be running two cold (faucet, icemaker) and two hot (faucet, dishwasher) to the kitchen. Instead of securing each of the four pipes every so often, I can hang short lengths of say 2" PVC pipe to the bottom of the joist every few feet, then run the four PEX through the PVC pipe This will mean the pipes are not individually secured and will be somewhat loose inside the larger pipe sleeve.

Which way is better?

Comment

Can these J hangers be used? I have read that PEX expands and contracts much more than say copper and I saw a video where when pressurized with hot water PEX if unsecured will move like a lizard whipping a tail. I worry about it "whipping" off the J hangers.

Comment

Here's a couple more options if you want it secure and off the joist .

Click image for larger version

Name:	pxstcl050-3.jpg
Views:	1139
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	751655Click image for larger version

Name:	58072-3.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	751656

Comment

Originally posted by miamicuse View Post
          Can these J hangers be used? I have read that PEX expands and contracts much more than say copper and I saw a video where when pressurized with hot water PEX if unsecured will move like a lizard whipping a tail. I worry about it "whipping" off the J hangers.
          Once you get all the PEX installed, secure with a tie wrap. Cheap, easy and if you need to add more just cut the tie wrap. Run the colds on 1 J-hook and the hots on another.

Comment

Working...
          X