X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drain design

This is a drain design question. I am planning on installing a small bathroom (4x9). I will be hiring a plumber, but wanted to get some input before I hire anyone.

The shower will be on the far left (97 inches from the main stack). The closet will be in the middle (55 inches from the main stack). The sink will be on the far right (28 inches from the main stack). The bathroom will be above a garage and all fixtures will be placed against the back wall on the second floor. The main stack is on the far right and 19 inches from the back wall. The main stack is 4 inch cast iron with lead and oakum joints (about 60 years old). I have two possible plans for the drain(s), but would like to hear all opinions and suggestions. My plans follow:

Plan 1. Connect the three fixtures via a single 3 inch PVC schedule 40 pipe with wyes which will connect to the main stack via a 4x3 no hub cast iron tee or combo wye. There will only be one vent (3x2 wye rolled at 45 degrees). The 2 inch vent line will be taken into the attic and revented to the main stack via a 4x2 tee set in the correct position for proper air flow.

Plan 2. Connect the toilet directly to the main stack via 3 inch PVC and a 4x3 tee or combo wye. The shower and sink will tie into the 3 inch drain line via a double wye or single wyes layed close to the 4x3 tee or combo wye on the main stack. Since the toilet and sink are within the critical distance, they will not be vented. The shower will be vented via a 2x2 wye (rolled at 45 degrees)or a tee set in the vertical position. The 2 inch vent will be taken into the attic and revented to the main stack via a tee set in the proper position.

All comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Bob214,
    I would suggest that you take a look at masterplumber.com, they have a forum on their web site that will allow people to post a question or ask for advice on a project. These forums are moderated by master plumbers and they give out some pretty good advice. Good luck with your project.

Comment

Working...
    X